Rant about the term "rents"

What’s the matter with you? You can’t take the extra time to say (or type) PArents? This slang term makes my blood boil :mad: The same kids who say this are likely the same ones who’ll eventually call their wives “old lady”, another term that smacks of disrespect.

We are your PArents. We’ve fed, clothes, housed you since birth. We’ve done our best to teach you morals, manners and the strength of a good character. Are you such a lazy heathen that you can’t take the time to say BOTH syllables?

If my kid ever refers to me as a “rent” - the free “rent” is gone, as is the food and clothing.

Try the decaf.

I respect and appreciate my parents very much. Nevertheless, I use this slang term sometimes, usually in front of my mother, because she thinks it’s funny.

Of course, we are a family of lazy heathens, so that might explain it.

Rant about the term “kids”
What’s the matter with you? You can’t take the extra time to say (or type) CHILDREN? This slang term makes my blood boil. I mean, come on, kids are goats! Do I look like a goat to you? No! No I do not! Talk about a term that smacks of disrespect.

We are your CHILDREN. We’re going to feed, clothe, house you when you get old. Are you such a lazy heathen that you can’t take the time to say BOTH syllables?

If my parent ever refers to me as a “kid” - the future free rent is gone, as is the food and clothing, I “kid” you not.

:wink:

Seriously. That’s how silly your rant is.

Of all the things my sons could call me, ‘rent(s) is pretty low on the ol’ totem pole of offense.

I always called them “parental units.” Do I get extra credit for taking the time to make extraneous syllables?

I hope so, 'cause I could use those extra credit points. I hear they’re redeemable for valuable prizes.

Dog gone it Bad Newz - you’ve gone and made me laugh, which completely lets the air out of my rant :smiley:

:d

See?
You got me all flustered about being called a kid, that I couldn’t get my smilie right.

let me try again.
:smiley:

I used to call them:

The “P’s”
The Parental Units (sometimes shortened to “the Units”)

My mom is dead (though, not because I called her a “P”) but the Units have fabulous senses of humor. Shit, they used to call us “filthy beggars”, not to mention the dreaded “kids”. Lighten up. 'Rents is fine.

Even worse, I constantly have to help my 'rents with their 'puter.

I notice your user name is Adoptamom, not Adoptamother. “Mom” is cool, but " 'rent" is not? Wanna explain why?

I don’t know… I refer to myself and the hubby as “the 'rents” to our son.

Oh well I was going to hell anyway… :smiley:

This is absolutely the 1st time I’ve read ‘rents’ as slang for parents.
Is this common???

I went through a phase as a teenager in which I would call my mother ‘Ma’. She openly disliked it, which is probably why I did it for so long.

While I don’t use the term ‘rents’ myself, I really don’t think it’s at all offensive. Like JuanitaTech said, if my kids using slightly overly-trendy terms to describe me is as bad as it ever gets, I’ll be quite happy.

APs? At least it shows you’ve read some Dickens…

What about “pay-rents”?

I call my parents “The 'Rents”. I also call them “Maw and Paw Kettle”. They don’t mind. They in turn call me “The Ungrateful Brat” and “The Weird One”. I don’t mind.

Family love. It’s a good thing.

The only thing we can’t do is call them by their given names. Tried that once as a kid. Didn’t sit for a few days.