"Rare" episodes of syndicated reruns?

The Star Trek: TOS episode The Way To Eden was often skipped over in early syndication. I don’t know why. Other TOS that were sometimes dumped from the order for no reason that I could find are For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky, Requiem for Methuselah, Obsession.

This all from memory of the early 1970s, watching the reruns and reading the newsletters/magazines I could get a hold of as a kid.

Or, as Letterman once said, the infamous final episode where Bob Villa goes insane and kills everybody with a nailgun.

I don’t think Nickelodeon as ever shown the final ep of The Angry Beavers where they find out their life is really a TV show. Nick doesn’t like to run definitive ‘final’ episodes because then they can show reruns for years before kids catch on that the show’s not in production anymore. :mad:

One episode of TNG where Data mentioned that Ireland was reunified in 2027 threw violence in went unaired for years in the UK.

You didn’t miss much with “The Empath”. Hands-down the worst Star Trek episode.

That’s pretty much exactly what happened. From the book Live From New York:

Rick Ludwin, NBC Vice President: “…Lorne was so upset with the way Milton had steamrolled his way over everyone that he never wanted that show to see the light of day again.”

I heard about this episode. I wish I can see it if it ever come to DVD but I doubt Nickelodeon will do it. :frowning:

Comedy Central never seems to show the “Jared Has Aides” episode of South Park, which is one reason I’m looking forward to the Season 6 DVDs.

“The Tick Loves Santa!” has been skipped so far in Toon Disney’s schedule. Damn them, it’s the only one I have left to record. They may be holding it for December, we’ll see.

“it’s a yule tide!!”

After the famous “Fire! Fire!” incident in that trailer park, the episodes of Beavis & Butt-Head where we saw Beavis’s pyromania in evidence vanished from the air. I don’t know how often this show still appears on TV, since I haven’t had cable for years, but I still feel this is one of the most regrettable occurrences in the history of television. I doubt MTV will air those episodes anytime soon. I’d think they could stick them on DVDs, but I’ve never looked into it. I have to wonder about it, since they stayed away from pyromania in the movie, where they had much more license to do whatever the hell they want. I mean, they didn’t even swear. They swore in South Park’s movie… and they set fire to people.

Anyway, seems those Beavis & Butt-Head episodes will never see airtime again.

Buffy actually shot an episode where a student was planning a school shootout, which was set to air right after Columbine. It’s never seen the light of day, and probably never will.

Eh? The one where Buffy had telepathy and

Whatshisname, the spellcaster of the semi-evil trio, was going to shoot him self in the tower not kill all the students and the lunchlady poisoned the Jello and she tried to kill Xander?

That was broadcast.

Yeah, that episode of Buffy (“Earshot”) as well as “Graduation Day, Part 2” were both delayed by a few months but they eventually aired before the beginning of Season 4. They were shown in Canada when they were originally scheduled to show, so tons of bootlegs were available in America. Not that I’m condoning that practice of course, but it’s a point of historical trivia.

Which one was that?

The All In The Family episode where a friend of the Bunker’s dies and when they go to comfort the friend’s roommate (also a friend of theirs) she comes out as a lesbian to Edith. The dead woman was her partner. Edith, of course, is not at all troubled by the news but Archie, of course, freaks out.

I don’t recall ever seeing that when I was younger and happened to catch it a few months ago. None of my friends recalled it either.

ARCHIE: You mean [she’s] a l-l-lez?

I know I’ve seen that one a few times in reruns. The dead woman is a cousin, and Archie is hoping to inherit a sterling tea set that belonged to a mutual family member (with an eye to selling it). The dead cousin’s partner wants to keep it since the two women had tea together every day after work and it holds happy memories.

Speaking of SNL, they’ve also never repeated the episode hosted by Andrew “Dice” Clay.

Not being personally involved, I can’t prove this, but my guess is that the 171 unsyndicated “Bonanza” episodes was just economics. There was a total of 431 eps. Taking out 171 leaves 260, which would allow a licensee to show an entire year’s worth (running 5 days a week). Most syndication packages turn around in around six months, since a lot of programmers don’t want to bite off on more than a six-month period. I’d be willing to bet that anyone could have licensed the entire 431 eps, but no one would want to have that extra 171, knowing that they might well not be wanting to carry the series for that long.

Similarly, the syndication for my aforementioned “Mannix” contains 130 eps (for a six month run). That is entire Seasons 2-6 and a few from Season 7 to make it a round number. All of Seasons 1 and 8, and most of Season 7 are omitted.

Ooh, yes, very frustrating. I have vague memories of the episode which I saw during the show’s original run, but I would like to see it again.

Both episodes also appear in their proper places in syndication packages and on the DVD set.

-Cliffy

An episode of the Avengers - “A Touch of Brimstone” was banned from American airwaves for being way too racy for middle America in the mid-1960s. The story had Mrs. Emma Peel infiltrating the nefarious London “Hellfire Club” as the whip-wielding Queen of Sin. That episode was not broadcast in the States until the early 90’s, when A&E reran the entire series - including the unaired (stateside) Cathy Gale episodes.

As an interesting aside, the comic book series “the X-Men” featured a multi-issue storyline in which they are pitted against evil aristocratic mutants known as the Hellfire Club. The X-Man Jean Grey (actually the Phoenix, who asssumed Jean Grey’s identity…oh, never mind. For the sake of simplicity - it’s Jean Grey) was hypnotized into becoming the Hellfire Club’s whip-wielding Black Queen.

Coincidence? I think not. Homage? Considering most folks stateside did not even know about the original, it’s doubtful. Lifted idea that Claremont tried to pass off as his own? …