Re: Regards, Shodan

IMHO, it’s closer to an IM conversation, which is why I find the sign-off annoying. It’s simply unnecessary.

I don’t care one way or the other.

Seems like a silly thing to get worked up about if you ask me. I don’t expect it’ll cross my mind again after I hit ‘Submit Reply’ to be honest.

Are you serious? What might that warning look like? Does Raguleader have it about right?

We have some real hothouse flowers around here, if that is something the mods need to police.

Nay. Don’t care much, but if you want an opinion, there it is.

Don’t care that much personally but agree that it is ironic when it’s attached to a poster like Shodan who I don’t think does have that much regard for people around here generally.

I don’t see what you, and others get out of manually signing every post, but if you like it, I guess you should keep doing it.

I find it annoying but not overly so, and believe that anyone that gets too worked up over it is someone that’s not going to like you, anyway.

That said, this is the second time you’ve pretty much admitted to trolling in as many days, so I’m questioning your true intent here.

What would a warning look like if he said “fuck you” outside of the pit? Because he admitted that is what it sometimes means. In cases where it is ambiguous to the stupid then to avoid the don’t be a jerk rule he can just refrain from the silly affectation.

Strangely, Shodan’s signature is the only one that doesn’t irritate me. The others (and you know who you are…) consistently come across [to me, anyway] as pompous.

I’m convinced it’s because I often see their posts as equally pompous----those “look at me” posts.

IMHO, Shodan is one of the brightest posters here, and has an ability to say a lot in few words. (a talent I haven’t mastered…) When he posts one liners they are often acerbic, absolutely on point, and thought provoking. (or at the very least, “reply provoking.”)

It’s the only signature I like.

Regards,
raindog

The “Regards, Shodan” thing breaks no rules, as far as I know. I say use it if you want to use it.

I either gratefully appreciate Shodan’s warm regards, or flip him the bird for his entirely unwarranted “Fuck You”, I’m not sure which.

Nevertheless, I think we can all benefit from his valiant attempts to bring civility to this board, or maybe be humbled by his constant reminders that we’re all a bunch of hyprocrites who he loathes beyond reason, depending on whatever the hell point that sig is supposed to be making.

Whatever, I support him unreservedly, and have therefore changed my sig to show my solidarity.

I love you,
El_Kabong

Hey, same to you, buddy! :mad:

Regards,
Rags

It is competely unreasonable to take offense at the phrase “Regards, Shodan.”

You wouldn’t think him so bright if you disagreed with him.

I disagree. Context matters. Just as swearing and cursing between friends can be a sign of affection, politeness can most certainly be meant offensively. IOW, it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.

But I have too much respect for the members of this board to need to point that out.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don’t think this is something that is always offensively used. I’m just saying that it can be used offensively, as Shodan himself points out.

Buddy? BUDDY???

You call me that again, and we’re gonna have to step outside.

Buddy.

Keep using it. It shouldn’t annoy anyone, it is too minor to get annoyed by.

I think the regards is just a basically empty polite word added to a sign-off. Not a serious declaration of feeling. Try looking and thinking of it that way and maybe it won’t annoy as much.

Jim

Time was I could look upon “regards, Shodan” as an attempt at old fashioned civility, an SDMB version of Eustace Tilley. It has been used too often (which means he has posted too often) in the “fuck you, I am superior to you; bow to my greater intelligence and wisdom” vein for me to ever see it as a genuine expression of regards. Hell, I doubt it was ever that, since “regards” is right up there with “sincerely” for conventional fluff. I see it as passive-aggressive, mostly.

IOW, it does not serve the noble purpose that Shodan thinks it does. Frankly, for me, it adds snark to every post he makes, something he should probably take into consideration. He could be posting his condolences to someone and that “regards, Shodan” just makes a mockery of it. It would with any poster’s use, given that it is superficial social oil used for personal issues (like death or illness etc) that require more sincerity than what is used to close the average business letter.

All that said, this is how he has chosen to express himself here. It has certainly garnered him attention. I see no reason for him to not be able to continue it.
He is not unintelligent and he must know that using it the way he does alters others’ perception of him (and, it must be said, his arguments/positions). If he doesn’t mind coming across as an ass, let him.

I like it. Yea. It’s small, harmless, and humanizing.

Social pressure at SDMB ends up homogenizing message formatting. Much of that homogenization benefits readability, but often it seems like everyone is wearing blue jeans and a Mao jacket… and that a substantial segment gets angry at anyone dressed differently.

As for whether a post on this message board is closer to a letter, an email, an IM, a phone call or a text… it depends on the post and it’s one of those areas where it’s nice if different posters take different approaches.

Seriously, I’m curious. What might that warning look like? “Shodan, please dispense with your ‘regards’ closing, but only as used in post #42, in which I’m inferring it to mean something much more offensive. It’s OK in post #57, though. Anyway, consider yourself warned.” Something like that?