Ready made reply boxes!

This really is terrific.

At first I thought someone had found a way to hack HTML into the board and inserted a text box. I am glad that it is a real feature. Thanks guys!

Many thanks for the wonderful reply box. It’s really helpful not to have to load an extra page when you’re using a 28.8 modem connection :smiley:

You use the regular reply window. Basically this will cut down on some of the traffic that overloads the site by reducing the total number of pages that have to be loaded from the server.

AFAIK there is no way to only append it to the last page of a thread.

Oh, neato!

This makes it so much easier.

Thanks, Noodles and all the rest! :smiley:

Testing the new feature…

I note that the quote button still works, which is great if I want to refer to a specific post,

well, if the e-mail notification and sig buttons are removed, perhaps we’ll be putting less stress on the server.

Brilliant idea’s mods!

Very, very nice.

Thank you, board gods and goddesses. :slight_smile:

Notice that it will not automatically make URLs into links without you check the “Automatically parse URLs” box at the bottom, unlike the regular Reply window, which has the box checked as the default.
Box unchecked. Link made?

www.google.com

Don’t mind me, just testing our newest toy. Very helpful!

:cool:

(now we have to remember vbcode again!)

No minding me either. http://www.weather.com

testing urls

don’t know why

Looks good, but I don’t see a “disable smilies” checkbox. You guys plan on making one?

Now that I try to preview, it says that some error has occured. A thing pops up and says the script has messed up. I hit “yes” or something, and it’s all good. Is there any way to not get the error message, though?

One more thing. “Automatically parse URLs” isn’t checked by default.

To add on to my other post, when I hit “Submit Reply” I still get that stupid script error…

Testing the new option…

I like it!!!

AFAIK there is no way to make this happen without modifying the source code of the application, which we do not do.

It looks like Gaudere has already acted on the other requests we see in this thread (signature box, URL parsing box, email notification box.) However you should realise that the intent of the “quick reply” field is just that, a “quick reply”, and not a full-fledged replacement of the “Post Reply” form.

The change was installed and improved by Gaudere, but the following people also deserve some credit along with Gaudere:
The person (someone from Russia with the nickname Caesar?) that came up with the idea on how to do this without having to change the source code;
OpalCat who brought this method to our attention;
TubaDiva and Anthracite for helping investigate the issue.

Interesting idea. I like it!

Yo La Tengo, what browser are you using? Any other people having errors? (I actually have errors with my browser, but my IE has been notoriously buggy and prone to Javascript errors as long as I’ve had it. No one else who I checked with last night had errors, and even with the error the convienence of the quick reply box outweighs the irritation. The Javascript used is just a tiny snippet and looks solid to me.)

::hat-tipping smiley::

I use AOL 7.0 with a cable modem. My computer is really messed up, and I mean really. So it could just be unique problem with my machine. It only does it when I use the quick reply, too. It’s not much of an issue, I could hit “yes” each time I post… It’s just an extra click. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? Maybe I could take a screenshot of it and link it somewhere…

Here it is: Script Error