Ready made reply boxes!

Hmmm. I’m sure it will take a while to work out the bugs, but here are some of my observations about the Quick Reply feature.
[list=“1”][li]I have “email notification by default” enabled in my profile, but the corresponding box does not get automatically checked in the Quick Reply options. The “auto parse URLs” box IS checked, so it doesn’t look like a problem with my browser (Netscape Communicator 4.5, usually).[/li]
[li]“Show Signature” is not checked in my Quick Reply options. If I check it, then preview, the check goes away. This may be a VB bug related to an annoying one in VB 2.x on other boards; if attachments are enabled, and an attachment file name is specified, it gets dropped on preview just like the Show Sig check box does.[/li]
Again, I don’t think it is my browser, since the Auto Parse box remains checked.[/list]
Good luck in working out the bugs. I know the admins won’t sleep until everything is working perfectly, right?

This is neat. Hehe I just read half the thread, hearing that “this is so cool” - I still didn’t know what it was - until I scrolled all the way to the bottom and tada! A reply window. It makes a lot of sense. Although…now I guess the post reply button is a bit obsolete, huh? :slight_smile:

No, not obsolete. For example, quoting posts it’s still easier to use that, and if you plan a lot of vbcoding it’s easier to use the full reply page.

I may just be totally out of the loop here, but hasn’t it always worked this way?

I’m getting an ‘object required’ script error in I.E 5.5

I did a cursory look at the form tag you’re using for this, and you’re making a call to ‘validate(this)’ in the form onsubmit event. I couldn’t find a validate function in the code, nor could I find an included Javascript file.

Just testing the fun new toy!

Wow!!! nifty!

It’s meant to be just what it’s promised, a quick reply without all the usual call up the form stuff

That also sorta implies it’s a stripped down version of the form, maybe you’re not going to have all the bells and whistles. If that’s what you need, the regular form is for you. You always have that option.

This is an experiment for your convenience and to help with our overwhelming server load. Let’s see how it goes.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

Just a quick observation that the first couple of times I tried to use the Quick Reply box (about 1:15-1:30 on 4/14), with no embedded coding other than an accurately coded-on-and-off bolded phrase, it claimed when “submit reply” was clicked to have an error and offered to take me into Debug. (Answering No posted the answer with no evident errors.) I’ve used it several times since then with no further problems. (This is a just-to-document-a-non-repeated-glitch post, and can be deleted if it’s not useful.)

Just testing the new fun toy, cuz no one else has done it yet in this thread!! :wink:

Amen to that one! :slight_smile: I like that option, too. . we can always use the “post reply” button if we want to do a lot of coding (or don’t remember how to do cetain things); alternatively, we can use the Quik-Post feature if we just want to do a short reply, or have memorized all the coding perfectly. Thanks to all the mods and admins! I think I’ll be using this feature a lot… like I didn’t already test it out a few times last night when I first noticed it! :wink:

I just thought of something else right after I sent the last post; the quik-post option will significantly help in upping my post average! (not that having a high average is everything, of course… ;)) Quality over quantity is what I try to keep in mind, at any rate.

I really like this new feature, but when I replied to the italian salad dressing thread in General Questions, my answer didn’t show up after I hit submit and then hit refresh. It still showed the previous poster. If this is a stupid reply, please remember that sarcasm will fly over my head; I’m only advanced enough with a computer to know not to pull the cord out of the receptacle to turn my computer off. So there.

This is a great new feature, except I had more reason than most to be worried - my Win98 corrupted last night and just got up (shakily), so I was sure the world was upside down :smiley:

Also, I don’t know if it’s because of this change, but the board is burning along this morning!

I figured out what’s been bugging me about the quick-reply box.

The margin on the left gets slightly wider after the last post to accomodate the reply box. I can’t see any reason why, as the only things on the left of the margin down here are
[ul]Your Reply:
Logged in user:
Title:
[sub][sup] (Optional)[/sup][/sub]
Options:[/ul]
and none of those things need the extra space.

So anyway, it doesn’t quite line up, and that’s why it looks funny to my eye. Glad I pinned that down.

Wait, it gets wider? For me, the quick-reply left column (with the things you mentioned) is actually thinner than the left column of the post area. Which, if I’m not mistaking, is the total opposite of what you just said…

And here, my friend, is your screenshot: Column Fun

I’d also like to point out that I have a huge monitor, and my screen resolution is at 1024 by 768 pixels

Ah crap, didn’t work… Column Fun. Try that.

I like it. But I think that it already is making me post more. I read a thread, and there is the reply box, just waiting for me to post my brilliant and witty insights and observations…how can I resist.

But one of the things I like about the SDMB is that threads grow really fast (unlike another board I frequent where you have to wait days for a thread to grow to a worthwhile length). So I sure don’t mind if people post more.

sniffle
Maybe I should just change my username to Chopped Liver?

I may not have been first, but I did suggest the quick reply box to TubaDiva just a week ago.

May I make one further suggestion - a line somewhere in the vicinity of the Quick Reply box that says something along the lines of:
“Quick Reply Box - For fast/simple replies, enter your text here. For the full range of reply options, click here”
(and have “here” lead to the normal reply screen).

That might cut down on the number of threads asking where the colours, font sizes and other options have gone.

Pats Chopped Liver–er, Cazzle–on the head consolingly and awards her the 2002 “Greatest Idea Since Sliced Bread” Award.

First Prize–a lifetime supply of Snickers-Bar-In-A-Jar, a.k.a. Snickers Spread.

great stuff, we’re going through a jar a week, here