Ready made reply boxes!

Ahhhh… attention. Just what I always wanted.

Yeah, Yo La Tengo, that’s exactly what I was talking about. I was actually thinking about posting a screenshot with my previous post, but I don’t really have anywhere on the web to stick it up (your red circle made me laugh – heh).

Yeah. On mine, the lower portion is a reeeeally small amount wider than the upper. Like on the order of 1mm or less. The difference is way less than yours. Man, how weird is that. My monitor is set to 1280x1024, if that makes a difference. It looked like our upper portions were exactly the same width.

This is really gonna drive me nuts now that I know mine looks different than other peoples’.

Understood. At the risk of sounding ungrateful, though, is there any way to place the quick-reply box after the line that tells you there are more pages to follow?

medstar:

I have a similar problem in a thread over in GD. Submitted a reply to the thread “Specific flaws in implementing communism?”

My reply is still tacked onto the end of the thread, but doesn’t show up on the GD thread page. Strange. However, if you click on the last post listed (Demosthenesian), it still links to my post.

Mods?

I had the same problem in Cafe Society earlier this afternoon but didn’t realize it for what it was (it was in the thread on “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” That’ll teach me to post something halfway, you know, worthwhile). I submitted (pretty sure I composed my post in the quick-reply box, then previewed and submitted from there), but got a time out. Checked on the thread before submitting again and the post was there, so I thought nothing of it. Later I noticed that my post wasn’t registering on the forum front page.

Just to add my name to the ‘this happened to me too’ list.

yay they added almost all the buttons heh…

juat one q… is it possible to add a spel land grammar check to the board ?

myabe my posts would get replied to if they made more sense to people occasionaly when i flub a post

White Lightning:

It happens, I think, if you preview your quick reply before submitting it.

Testing

Okay, so here’s another question that’s bugging me now. Why is the regular reply text box different dimensions than the quick reply text box? I kind of prefer the wider one myself…

Is there a way for us to turn it off?

I am really, really afraid that I am going to periodically screw up, hit the “Submit Reply” button by accident, and post an empty message.

Seriously, I can see myself doing this a lot and irritating myself along with everybody else.

As I think I told you at the time, cazzle my dear, we had been looking at the “Quick Reply” option for some time before your idea.

We got quite a few posts and emails about the subject.

Thank you for your suggestions – we’re always happy to hear from our Teemsters and ideas are welcome.

I would think that "Quick Reply"is self-explanatory. I mean, it’s not like we’re pointing to the egress here, ya know.

your humble TubaDiva
Or just possibly, maybe so.

Just a test.

I am. I’m using IE 4 right now (Vers. 4.72.3110, specifically), and I get the same thing that shows up in Yo La Tengo’s screenshot. (The test was to see if I was still getting it.) It’s not really a big deal, though, I just have to click Yes and everything goes through fine.

sigh

Well, I just figured if we’re busy patting backs, why not pat the back of the umpteenth person to send you the idea, instead of some Russian guy who just happened to figure out how to do it. Like HE needs more attention.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Carry on!

Mr. Svinlesha:

It doesn’t happen every time I preview from the quick-reply window. Just checked on it somewhere else and previewing from quick-reply works just fine.

Exgineer:

Fear not. Clicking the Submit button with an empty reply field will not submit an empty post. You’ll just get an error message.

How inconsiderate of you to ignore the person that asked for it here. (Of course, at that time, we didn’t know about the method of doing it without changing the source code.)

Questions in this thread:[ol][li]Perhaps the reply box should appear only on the last page of multiple-page threads.[/li][li]Now that I try to preview, it says that some error has occured. A thing pops up and says the script has messed up. I hit “yes” or something, and it’s all good. Is there any way to not get the error message, though? [/li][li]I have “email notification by default” enabled in my profile, but the corresponding box does not get automatically checked in the Quick Reply options. The “auto parse URLs” box IS checked, so it doesn’t look like a problem with my browser (Netscape Communicator 4.5, usually).[/li][li]“Show Signature” is not checked in my Quick Reply options. If I check it, then preview, the check goes away. This may be a VB bug related to an annoying one in VB 2.x on other boards; if attachments are enabled, and an attachment file name is specified, it gets dropped on preview just like the Show Sig check box does.[/li][li]A says - I really like this new feature, but when I replied to the italian salad dressing thread in General Questions, my answer didn’t show up after I hit submit and then hit refresh. It still showed the previous poster. … B says - It happens, I think, if you preview your quick reply before submitting it.[/li][li]A says - The margin on the left gets slightly wider after the last post to accomodate the reply box. … B says - For me, the quick-reply left column (with the things you mentioned) is actually thinner than the left column of the post area.[/li][li]*s there any way to place the quick-reply box after the line that tells you there are more pages to follow?[/li][li]Why is the regular reply text box different dimensions than the quick reply text box?[/li][li]Is there a way for us to turn it off?[/ol][/li]Answers:[ol][li]Already answered above, but to reiterate - not going to happen since it would require changes to source code.[/li][li]In our experience the script errors are only happening with certain versions of Internet Explorer (and perhaps only on Windows.) Seems to me like a bug in Internet Explorer.[/li][li]Don’t know why that is happening. The code looks correct.[/li][li]That’s the way it works in the Submit Reply form as well.[/li][li]That has only happened to me once, at a time of high board activity. Not sure if it’s related to the Quick Reply issue, but the problem hasn’t been reported as frequently before we had the Quick Reply box. The problem seems unrelated to the use of the Preview Reply button in the Quick Reply form.[/li][li]It’s not going to align exactly. No plans on trying to make it align exactly.[/li][li]Maybe, but it would take some fiddling around.[/li][li]When I compared dimensions by copying and pasting screen shots, the box widths were exactly the same (Internet Explorer 5.00.3315.1000 on Windows 2000 5.00.2195, 1024 x 768 pixels).[/li][li]No. That would definitely require changes to source code.[/ol][/li]Issues 2 and 5 are the more serious ones, and seem to me to justify backing out (removing) this new feature. We’ll discuss it amongst the staff.

Someone who’s been having the error, please test it and tell me if you still get the error. I think I fixed it but the computer I’m on now never gave me an error message.

Re: issue the 6th. On my work machine (1024x768), the left margin in the ‘Your Reply:’ area is slightly thinner than that above; exactly like the screenshot posted by Yo La Tengo on this issue. It appears to be totally dependent on screen resolution.

I never meant for this to be taken as a serious flaw with the new system. I understand that it’s something that would only ever bother me, and now that I know it’s not going to change, I’ll just go ahead and get over it. Thanks for your attention Arnold Winkelried.

This is just a test…