Recommend a soap when using a shaving brush

My daughter gave me a badger shaving brush. It is beautiful and soft. And I like not having to throw aerosol cans in the landfill. Shaving soap is difficult to find. I saw some in a shaving shop in the mall. And they were $30/bar. Don’t want to spend that kind of dollars. Amazon has a big variety. Does price mean anything? What do you use?

You can get Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap in Walmart for a buck or so a bar.

Thank you. Are you saying you like this product?

I’m assuming you saw The Art of Shaving store. I have the Sandalwood shave soap from The Art of Shaving and it is $50.00 for the wooden bowl with soap and $30.00 for the refill:

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Shaving-Soap-Refill/00670535400035,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=shaving-products-shaving-soap&navid=shaving-products-shaving-soap

I bought my last one in December and have barely made a dent in it. Granted, I’m still sporting my winter beard so I’m only shaving my neck and above my beard line on my cheeks daily. Even so, I can still see the stamped logo in the top of the soap and that’s at nearly 3 months.

I think price means something - could be good or bad. Not everything at a high price is value for the dollar and not everything low price is junk. But generally speaking I think you get what you pay for. At the current rate of usage, the shave soap will easily last me more than 6 months. Considering I find it to be a good quality product, the $30.00 really is a good value to me.

I used the Art of Shaving soap for quite a few years, but now I’ve started using Proraso, and finding it gives a better shave.

I’ll look that up. I had been using eShave products, a shaving cream with my boar bristle brush and this is the first time I’ve tried a soap. I like it but don’t have a comparison so might give this a shot.

There are a lot of forums out there devoted to “wet shaving” which is a term that encompasses both using a brush and soap or cream, and using either old-school double-edged razors or straight razors. Badger & Blade, Shave Den, etc… are good places to check if you get into it- the denizens of those forums discuss soaps and creams to death.

Beyond that, there are a LOT of web retailers and artisan soap makers.

For retailers, I’m partial to West Coast Shaving, and for artisan soap makers, I really like Barrister & Mann’s soaps.

My favorite products- none of which exceed about $15-16:

Soaps:

Pre de Provence
Proraso in the tub (I like red & green)
Barrister & Mann- (various scents; I like the Cheshire & Seville)

Creams (come in a tube):

Proraso red & Green
Speick
Musgo Real Original
Palmolive Oriignal

There were also a couple of threads about wet shaving recently.

I find ClassicShaving.com products cheaper and excellent in quality to some of the newer and trendier shave purveyors. I also like the sandalwood soap, which is about $3 a cake.

For most of the past 50 years I’ve used either Williams shaving soap or Colgate shaving soap, whichever I happened to grab in the grocery or drug store. A few years ago they both disappeared from the shelves of local stores and I have tried several of those mentioned in this thread.

It appears the Colgate soap is no longer being made but I am happy to see the Williams is still available. I will be ordering it.

The expensive brands all work very well … but they are expensive. I have been using Kiss My Face shaving cream a lot lately, available locally in health food stores – it’s cheap and works well; gets favorable mentions on the shaving forums.

Yes. I’m quite find of the Proraso white, the sensitive skin products. I also really like the Proraso green, but find that I’m more prone to irritation on my neck if I don’t at least alternate with the white.

Proraso Green. Great stuff. Smells good and lathers good.

Hey- none of the soaps or creams I mentioned run more than $15, and they last for a LONG time- I’d bet someone could use a tube of cream for six months straight, and a good sized puck of soap would last even longer. I bet that’s not really much more expensive than using Barbasol over that period of time.

Williams is trash, even if it does smell nice. It’s just not very… slick or soapy or something in relation to the better soaps. Even Van Der Hagen Deluxe (the pale orange colored stuff) is drastically better than Williams, and costs maybe $3 instead of $2.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003IX7CFM

Mitchell’s wool fat is my favorite. A large bar lasts about a year so the link above would last about 3 years for $18. I wouldn’t call that expensive.

Agree that soaps last a long time. I don’t know how long because I’m still a long way from finishing my first, a Palmolive shave stick. But certainly long enough to convince me that the pricy ones are still probably good value.

It’s good stuff, IF it works for you. The various wet-shaving forums are replete with threads lamenting how difficult it is for people to get it to lather well.

I found that for me, the problem lathering MWF was water that was TOO hot; warm to lukewarm worked much better than warm to hot for me.

I would suggest one of shave soaps from “how to grow a moustache”–they’re very good and exceptionally easy to lather (making it good for the “newbie”). You can find it on Amazon

I wear a full beard, so only my neck and cheeks get shaved with any regularity.

Given that: I keep the razor in the shower - after the washing, while my skin is soft from hot water and vapor, I take the bar soap, and wipe it across my skin. It is more than enough lubricant, and rinses off with the rest of the crud.

If Mantic says it, it’s good enough for me. He’s something of an authority on wet-shaving, having authored the youtube video series on using a double-edged razor and making lather and what-not.

Plus he has his own blog.

This!

I use the orange shaving soap that comes in the green package (someone gave the brand name down thread) that’s available at Walgreens or other drug stores. That, a mug and a brush have always worked fine for me, and I have a hard time believing that a far more expensive soap would give me an appreciably better shave.

To me, the key is shaving in the shower. I’ve been doing this for at least the past 20 years, and I can’t imagine any other way.

This practice does mean at least 2-3 minutes of hot water being essentially wasted on a daily, or at least frequent basis. That’s a cost that adds up.