Recommend break-in ammo for Kimber Ultra Carry II

Mitch Rosen

Milt Sparks

If I could afford it I’d go with these companies. they’re not cheap, but they do outstanding work.

I avoid Blazer and Wolf just because they’re so filthy and require a lot more post shooting cleaning than many other brands in my experience.

I’m a fan of Magtech. Even though these are hardly normal times when it comes to finding ammo, it’s been one of the easier brands of ball ammo for me to find.

For your carry round, I recommend Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok. It’s (comparatively) easy to find and highly consistent. Of course, pick up a bunch of it and make sure your Kimber likes it. Some do, some don’t, and you don’t want to run into any FTFs at a crucial moment.

If your pistol ends up not liking ANY defensive rounds, take it to your smith to have the feed ramp throated and polished. You don’t normally have to do that to a Kimber, but it’s SOP on any just about any non-customized 1911. Luckily “stock” Kimbers equate to “customized” just about anybody else.

Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I picked up my Ultra Carry II from Cabela’s where I found MFS .45 for $17per 50, I took 15 boxes home so between that and the 500rds of WWB on order, I think I’m set for ammo for awhile.

I finally got to shoot it on Thanksgiving and it was even better than I imagined. Got a 4.5" group at ~35yds with the first clip. I’m anxious to shoot from the bench and I still need to order up some dies and powder to find that perfect load.

Even as it is I’d feel confident carrying it, Kimber puts out a damn fine product. ~11 clips and not a single malfunction. I had a little trouble getting the slide release back in when I field stripped it the first time. I was pleased when I cleaned it afterward and found that the MFS shoots clean and I had no trouble stripping and reassembling.

The laser was fun and seemed accurate out of the box, really helped with speedy target acquisition. I like the Tritium sights a lot too but in very low light their glow is almost a distraction - but hey, I’ll be using that laser when it’s that dark.

I couldn’t be happier. Thanks again for all of your input!

Make sure you lube it correctly and with appropriate products. The manual should include lubrication points. Grease may be more appropriate for some of them and oil for others. The 1911 is a design that doesn’t respond well at all to being run dry.

It’s not that bad. The military rounds (and hence the old wolf rounds) carry a laquer sealant on the case so that the rounds can survive wet conditions better, and it has a distrinctive smell and can be a little gunky.

But… I seem to recall they switched processes over the last few years and they run cleaner now. I can’t remember the details, and I haven’t bought new wolf ammo for around 5 years, so I may be wrong on this. But it’s worth looking into.

I would advise avoiding PMC .45. I’ve shot a variety of different ammo types through my USP 45 and nothing ever gave me problems except PMC. I read that this isn’t uncommon - the USP is made to exacting tolerances, and PMC ammo… isn’t.

Agreed. I have a couple of holsters from the Mitch Rosen Express line–it has less of the detail of the full line but costs much less (I don’t mind spending $100 for good leather). The fit and workmanship are very good.

I’ll often carry my G19 in a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster under a loose sweater in the winter (Houston winters don’t call for more than a sweater).

Instead of starting a new thread, I’ll just ask here if anyone has had any experience with the Bersa CC 380. I’m considering it for my first cc.

It seems like a great price, and I’ve read some good reviews, but if anyone has experience, I’d love to hear it.

You should start a new thread.

I shot one belonging to a friend. It seemed to be a solid, serviceable weapon. Accuracy was on a par with similar pistols from other makers. The trigger was nothing to write sonnets about.

Check out this review of Hornady Critical Defense. The author uses a Bersa to test the pistol rounds.

I’ve seen HCD on a few hunting/shooting shows now and the penetration and wound channels in ballistics gel look impressive. I’m picking some of for my Mustang.

Happy gun shopping!