Refrigerator door gasket--can it be replaced?

Title says it all. My ex needs to know. Hard to believe that you have to replace a $1000 item because of a gasket. I’m talking about the rubber thing that seals the door to the body of the fridge.

Sure. Appliance parts stores sell them. They’re self adhesive.

see if you can get an exact replacement one piece unit.

you can get make your own material though that is not as good.

I just replaced one on my GE. Call the manufacturer parts number, they’ll be happy to sell you one.

I have ordered replacement refrigerator parts on line. All the major manufacturers have websites with a parts ordering page.

These things are magnetic, right? Something makes it grab in the closed position. For some time now, refrigerators don’t come with a latch mechanism, so I suppose magnetic effects. Any replacement would have to do so, too.

I replace mine about a year ago, found a replacement on eBay for about 1/3 the manufacturers suggested retail price.

Yup, as mentioned in passing by Cecil himself in this column.

I had to do that-twice. My GE GE PFS22SISSS French Door Refrigerator has a design flaw. If you close both doors at the same time the latches at the top of the doors interfere with one another and one breaks. The original way to fix that was to replace the entire door. Cost: $1000. Fortunately GE has apparently decided that is a design problem and they have reimbursed me both times. The second time the repair man just replaced the gasket and gasket frame. Turns out the gasket frame holds the latch. I guess when GE is picking up the tab, their original guidence to replace the entire door wasn’t so necessary after all. But yes, the price of a gasket can be high. Entirely due to a design decision. I am sure the manufacturers could design the gasket to be user replacable, but choose not to.

The gaskets are easily changed using instructions off the Internet and often from sites selling parts. Those whole door seals are not cheap though.

The rubber is so slippery that adhesives do not stick to them well, So repairs are difficult. Frequently, the rubber is not torn, but rather becomes kinked or mis-shapen causing the leaky gap. These defects can be fixed by loosening the attachment to the gasket and heating it with a dryer or heat gun, which causes it to assume its original set shape so you can adjust and tighten it up once again. The secret is not to apply too much heat and damage it.

I’m glad I read this question. I have the same problem but with a freezer door gasket. I noticed that the gasket is heated in some way to prevent the build up of ice on it. I was wondering if these types are replaceable. I want to change it but I do not want to lose the heating effect. Any ideas?

Something cheap and easy you might want to try. I have a Servel propane refrigerator that had a problem with the door seal. The one of the top corners became misshapen so that it would no longer provide a tight seal - it had become compressed somehow. I called the people who sold the refigerator to see if they could send a new gasket.

They advised me to first try heating the affected area with a heat gun (hair dryers work), and then use pliers to gradually reshape the gasket.

The process took about fifteen minutes until the gasket was back to normal. This was about five years ago, and things have been working fine since then.

Just noticed that my advice was almost identical to AL BUNDY’s. Beat me to it, he did!