Background: A year ago, I met a guy named Micah, with whom I had one excellent date, but for various reasons we weren’t able to see each other for a year afterwards.
He emailed me the Wednesday before last Thanksgiving, and we ended up going out again later that week. We’ve been seeing each other frequently since then, and are talking on the phone every night. Things have been moving somewhat quickly, and we’re getting pretty attached to each other.
Here is where the problem appears. We’re both high school seniors. I fell in love with a little private university in Oklahoma City and did early decision; I’ve already signed the papers and am obligated to go there. Micah, however, is only applying to four colleges: Washington University (St. Louis), the University of Chicago, Emory (Atlanta) and Drury (Springfield, MO). None of these places are less than six hours away from OKC. My first thought was that I should probably just end the romantic part of the relationship, and ask him if we can stay in touch and go out once in awhile as just friends.
But I just don’t frigging want to. I like him a LOT, and always have, even when we weren’t seeing each other. It seems silly to throw away six more months of dating (if all goes well) because it won’t work out on the end, but, on the other hand, I don’t want to get more attached and then have him move one direction while I head in another.
The particular colleges he chose also complicate things. They’re all very expensive (except Drury, which isn’t as much - about 15-18k yearly overall), and they’re all selective. He has good ACT scores and great essays, but I’m not sure if they’re enough to get everything paid for. His parents aren’t going to help out financially at all, so he’s on his own. Consequently, he’ll most likely end up at Drury, which is the closest one at six hours.
Now, I have a pretty big tolerance for driving. I live, work, and go to school in three different towns which are spread out across about 40 miles, and on the weekends I usually drive another 45 minutes to go out. Currently he’s two hours away from me, so I’m accustomed to that too. I know that, if we decided to make a go of it, we could meet somewhere in the middle (Tulsa?) and drive three hours each, but it would be a colossal pain in the ass for both of us.
So I’m stuck. I don’t have the slightest idea what to do. We’re supposed to go out this Friday, which I don’t want to do if this isn’t going anywhere. -But- if I ditch him, he’ll probably feel insulted and I’ll end up screwing myself over later.
Hopefully the Doper minds can come up with a solution. Thanks to all of you in advance.