Renaissance festivals and Walt Disney

I have worked at the Texas Renaissance Festival since 1995. Since that time I have been hearing rumors of Disney buying it up. The legend has taken many different forms, such as Disney has bought vast tracks of land around it and it will soon take over.

Are these rumors exclusive to TRF? Is there a shred of truth in them? I can’t see King George (George Cullum, owner of TRF) giving up his fun and profit.

I have no idea, but I wanted to point out that’s it’s “tracts” of land, so that I could be the first to post!

I called George. He gave me rude hand gestures on the video link, so I called him some interesting names. Then I called Disney and they gave me the run-around. So I made some specific threats from a book entitled ‘Black Sunday’, involving explosives and a blimp.

But since this is none of my business and I really don’t care one way or the other, I told them I was you and gave them your email address. Hope you don’t mind.

You know, this is the same rumor going on at the Southern Pleasure Faire (So. California); that Disney has about 30% share in the Faire. I do not know if it is true, but if it is, it would explain the great amount of change that has happened.

First of all, the prices are now in the astronomical range–$17.50 for adults? I remember when I first started when it was $11.50–certainly more reasonable. $6 for parking, $4 for cheap beer ($5 for someting more palatable), most food items start at $3 or $4 for a mere nibble. By the end of the day, it’s easy to have spent more than $50 on just the necessary things.

Second, this faire was situated in the foothills of San Bernadino–a hot & dusty area, but not without nice trees and a small stream that ran through the site. The faire was set up in such a way that the path sort of rambled and curved, making it interesting. But, this year, someone came up with the “brilliant” idea of setting up all the merchants & encampments in straight lines–it looked like a swap meet. Bah.

The faires have lost their magic, because someone wants to make a profit–and I think I smell a big, red-trousered rat behind it.

Before I moved to Big Bear I lived in Anaheim and I had occasion to go to the faire as well as meet Mickey Mouse in person on several occasions. His trousers are black with white buttons. Or do you mean ANOTHER rat?

Why do you faire goers believe this conspiracy theory dreck?
If you think Disney owns part of Ren-faire, ask. If they are incorporated, you can get the info from the Secy of state CA. If they are NOT inc, then Disney does not. There are some “professional” faire management folks going around, re-organizing faires for maximum profits. Nothing to do with Disney. But my guess is that’s what hit Socal-faire.

Hey- the Nocal faire was “sold out”, and everyone blames the land developer who bought the land, instead of the faire- owner who needed more coke $$.

But, shhh, don’t tell anyone, it’s not Disney, it’s the Illuminati!

Sorry Daniel, but this is your final warning. Never mention the Illuminati again or someone will be sent out to talk to you. We usually contract with the Men-in-Black since they are all set up for this sort of thing.

I worked for the production company that put on the So Cal and Northern Cal Ren Faires. I was there for 5 years or better, and recently went back an visited all my old compatriots. Disney does not own these fairs, it’s more like Daniel mentioned - a larg RenFaire Corp bought out the California Faires.

Try http://www.renfaire.com for their site on the net.

Actually, they weren’t quite in straight lines, and it certainly wasn’t like a swap meet - I’ve never gotten turned around and completely lost at a swap meet, nor anything based on straight lines.

According to friends of mine who work the faire, management changed this year, and they were unable to get the usual site (closer to the water and with the trees) because someone else had already leased it for the period that Faire was open. This is not to say that they didn’t try - or didn’t you notice that it opened almost a full month late this year?

Frankly, if you’re not happy with “Big Faire” hunt around - lots of smaller Faires go on all year, and all over the country. Then just don’t go to the SanBerdoo faire.

From what I know of Disney from when I worked for them, they wouldn’t bother with the Pleasure Faire. It doesn’t make enough money.

Pssssttttt. Cooldude.

HouDope - July 29, 2000 at the Richmond Arms - see us over at MPSIMS for more info.

[hijack]

Before I moved to Big Bear I lived in Anaheim and I had occasion to go to the faire as well as meet Mickey Mouse in person on several occasions. His trousers are black with white buttons. Or do you mean ANOTHER rat? **
[/QUOTE]

Sorry. He wears red ones.
http://home.att.net/~mickeymousemania1/little.htm
Thanks for playing.

[/hijack]

Frankly, if you’re not happy with “Big Faire” hunt around - lots of smaller Faires go on all year, and all over the country. Then just don’t go to the SanBerdoo faire.
[/QUOTE]

I decided after my trip this year to the “Southern Faire” that I wasn’t going to bother with it any more. Crossroads out in Corona (I think?–it’s around that area) is what the San Bernadino Faire was when it was for the fun of it, and not for profit. Besides, the people running it are old faire folk, who have been doing the faires since the 70’s.

And, I can’t forget Ojai faire–it’s always been worth the trip to go out and camp there.