Replies don't get posted - instead saving the reply takes forever and gets nowhere

For the past several days an annoying problem has emerged on the SDMB. When I hit the “post reply” button, replying to a thread, my post doesn’t get posted, but a blue “saving” bar appears on the bottom of the screen instead. This saving doesn’t get anywhere, even in 30 minutes, and I have no other option but to cancel the post.

Having to do this after spending time and effort crafting a reply is irksome, to say the least. I have never before even seen the blue “saving bar” - normally my replies get posted in a second or two, at most.

Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a way to avoid it?

Moved to Site Feedback since this seems to be an issue with the Discourse software.

What type of device are you using and what browser are you using?

I haven’t encountered the problem, and if others haven’t either that might suggest (at the risk of sounding like “have you tried turning it off and on again”) that it might be worthwhile to try clearing your cookies and cache of everything related to SDMB and logging in afresh.

Also, what theme are you using? If it’s not the default, try switching to another theme and let us know if you still have the problem.

It sounds more like a network issue than a Discourse one.

IME / IMO …

This is the behavior you get if your internet drops off while the save is in progress. You can create a post totally offline or while the internet is fading in and out. But from the moment you click [Reply] until the save completes a couple seconds later you need for the internet to not hiccup. There appears to be no recovery if something goes wrong in that narrow window. Even if your internet comes back, it’ll just sit and spin on “saving…”.

If you’re on a mobile device, you might get into that situation if you have both Wi-Fi and cellular/mobile data enabled. If the device chooses to switch network modes mid-save, you’re screwed.

Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C just before clicking [Reply] is your only workaround.

Thanks for the help, guys!

I’m using a newish Lenovo Thinkpad and Firefox to do the SDMB, and like I said, the problem began just five days ago or so, with no changes to the setup.

I also feel this might be a network problem, but I have no difficulties using any other sites, including much heavier ones than the SDMB. Even here, using the forum in every way except for replying to a thread works normally.

I assume my theme is the default theme.

We’ll see.

Are you still experiencing this @Toxylon ?

It went away. It seems some “covert” repair activity on our building’s roof messed up the connections for a good while. Thanks for asking, and reminding to drop by here!