Resurgance of rock and the integration of rap

What do you all think of this? I find it quite promising to see bands such as Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, and KoRn pushing the genre back into the limelight. Boy bands were becoming way too widespread for me. The concept of bubbly pop lasting for another few years made me sick.

Also, what are thoughts on the integration of rap into the rock genre? Limp Bizkit has been doing that, and personally, I don’t think it’s that terrible. However, it doesn’t always fit. I might even go as far to say as they need a new genre entirely. Post your thoughts on this. I’d like to hear some other opinions.

People are stupid. That’s all that ever needs to be said.

I dig metal in almost all of its manifestations. I’ve been known to groove on some rap from time-to-time. Don’t much like the mixture, though.

Rage is the only group that pulls it off. They are great musicians on a mission, as such they are inspired. Even thought I despise their political agenda, it fuels their fire and makes them an unstoppable force!

Korn is hit and miss. Their first two albums had some good tunes, but all their new stuff is trash.

Limp Bizkit & Kid Rock can blow me.

Hell is Other People.

I’m not really into the metal/rap subgenre (but of which genre?); the only act that pulls it off to my satisfaction is Stuck Mojo. Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Limp Bizkit, and especially Kid Rock do absolutely nothing but give me the urge to change the station.

It’s a long way to heaven, but only three short steps to hell.

I am very well-versed in this phenomenon. I also thought it was dead in 1989.

The influx of rock and rap has been going on one way or another for ages. One could argue that the likes of George Clinton and Jimmy Castor had a lot to do with it as they mixed several ganres into a blender and made it digestable for people on both sides of the fence.

As far as actualy rap/rock crossovers, some highlights in almost chronological order:

The first rap song (arguable) "Rappers Delight, featured the bassist who would go on to play in Tackhead and Living Colour.

The first Public Enemy album Yo! Bum Rush The Show featured the guitar talents of Vernon Reid, of Living Colour, on a few cuts.

(Please note that contrary to popular opinion, Living Colour was NOT a rap/rock act. They were a ROCK act, period. They just happened to be black.)

San Francisco thrash band Mordred has a DJ in the band, and they covered “Superfreak.”

“Superfreak” was also covered by a Rick Rubin band called Hose, which he put out on Def Jam when he was still a student in his NYU dorm. It pops up in collectors stores from time to time. It also sucks…

Rubin had Public Enemy do a song “She Watch Channel Zero” over a Slayer song. Kerry King from Slayer did a guitar solo on "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn (named after a Motorhead album) and appeared in videos for The Beastie Boys.

Early Run-DMC albums sampled all kinds of rock stuff. Billy Squire’s “Big Beat” was a staple in any CDs crate during this time.

Aerosimith and Run-DMC.

Anthrax and Public Enemy.

KRS-One rapping on Sonic Youth’s Goo album.

There are tons more…

Yer pal,
Satan

rock/rap sucks for the most part.
what happened to talent in playing instruments and singing talent??

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

chief - Um… Guess what? All of the bands involved DO play instruments. As for talent, well, that’s always in the eye of the beholder. But anyone who cannot hear talent in Rage Against The Machine, especially with Tom Morello’s unusual guitar style, or in in Faith No more, a band that dabbled with rap rhythms, I kinda wonder what IS talent for you…

Yer pal,
Satan

It still pisses me off that the public (or MTV, rather.) never accepted Faith No More after “Epic” but is so quick to jump on the bandwagon of these “Faith No More” wanabee bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit. Angel Dust was and still is one of the greatest hard rock albums of all time.

i like rage and faith no more
but i hate bands like limp bizcuit…

i just dont think they are very good…

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

I’ll open myself up for flames, but I love Korn, Rage Against the Machine, and Limp Bizkit - A LOT!

Kid Rock pretty much sucks though.

>^,^<
KITTEN
Please tell your pants it’s not polite to point.

Pop crap will never die unfortunately.

It is always a mistake to mix rock with any other type of music. Rock + anything else = scum. Anything else but narrowly defined rock = scum. People who do not have exactly the same taste in music as me = scum. :slight_smile: I love everyone. :frowning: But I despise all music but narrowly defined rock.

I think it’s shit :slight_smile:

But then, it’s safe to assume Satan and I have polar opposite music tastes, so you can probably imagine the type of person I am.

I think volume does not equal talent. I think skill is sadly lacking from the music I have heard from the bands you mention. (Not saying they don’t have skill or talent, they just aren’t demonstrating it for me)

And I think they aren’t coming back into the limelight at all, it’s an illusion, and the music scens is still balanced the same it has always been.

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat. If I can be bothered.

I’m pleased by the fact that the Pet Shop Boys are reemerging from hibernation.

Sighs Happily Faith No More fans! I love you!

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

The Kat House
Join the FSH Webring

I think the whole thing just shows how all of music is melding together. I love the rock/rap music. I was never into the heavy metal, but once you mix it in with the rap, I LIKE IT ! Limp Bizkit isn’t as good as Korn, but it still has it’s moments. Rage has been around long enough, and everyone is acting like the whole rock/rap thing happened overnight. It’s been going on for awhile, it just moved into the mainstream big-time though? Does it seem like rock is moving more into the hip-hop and rap area than rap and hip-hop becoming more like rock to anyone else? Korn used to be way metal on Korn and Life is Peachy, but they turned more toward rap on Follow the Leader. You didn’t used to be able to dance to Korn.

My opinion on KoRn is that Follow the Leader was an OK album, but that album was the further from the classic KoRn sound that I’ve ever heard. Even “Issues” has done a better job making good on the classic KoRn sound that I love so much. Follow the Leader also made use of too many cameos. My friends complain on the idea that there are no cameos on “Issues,” but I must remind them that that’s the only album with cameos that KoRn has come out with. I think KoRn should stick with their old game, whether it’s danceworthy or not.

The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.