rewrite Governor Sanford's love letters!

Folks, in following the Governor Sanford affair, I have noticed something rather disturbing. True, he abused public funds, abandoned his duties as Governor, and betrayed his family - these things are unfortunate. Far worse, however, is the fact that the man can’t write worth a damn. His love letters to “Maria” are posted here. And they are terrible. Go on, take a look. I’ll wait.

It occurs to me that we cannot rescue Sanford from the end of his political career. We cannot save his marriage, or even salvage his relationship with his mistress. However, there is one thing the Teeming Millions can do - we can teach Sanford to write.

I propose that we rewrite Sanford’s letters, as posted on the above site. We should try to keep the content more or less the same, but otherwise feel free to make whatever changes are needed to make these letters genuinely solid pieces of writing. Posters can choose new letters to edit, or revise earlier postings - this is all about helping, after all. :slight_smile:

Anyone want to kick it off? Here’s an original letter:

Not the worst example of Sanford’s writing, but it clearly needs work.

Dear Maria:

You are so intoxicatingly wonderful that I think I’ll sacrifice my political career, and quite possibly the Presidency, for you.

Hugs ‘n’ kisses,

Mark

P.S. Please don’t tell my wife.

Hahaha - I think that about sums it up. Well done, sir!

Would you terribly mind if I remain with the melodramatic feel of these letters in my rewrite?

Not at all - melodrama can be not-inappropriate for love letters, I think. Just, ya know, try and write with more skill than Governor Sanford.

Glorious.