RIP Melanie Safka

Folk singer/songwriter Melanie Safka, best known as simply Melanie, has died at the age of 76. While no Joni Mitchell, she was beginning to have a following with people who liked somewhat folky introspective music in the late 60s/early 70s and scored a Top 10 hit with “Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)” in collaboration with the Edwin Hawkins Singers in 1970, a song about her impressions of performing at Woodstock. It was a great single and I vividly remember how it simply barreled out of your AM radio back in the day.

Then, disaster. She recorded a silly little song called “Brand New Key.” The story goes that it was just going to be an album cut, but her record company put it out as a single, and it became a huge hit. She lost all credibility as an up-and-coming singer/songwriter. Her childlike voice didn’t help. In her words, “it became the bane of my existence” and totally derailed her career.

She deserved better. At the time of her death, she was working on an album of cover songs. Farewell, Melanie.

Aww. I have several of her albums from way back. I really like “Photograph.”

RIP.

She was great. The songs Ring the Living Bell and Look What They Done to My Song come to mind. Always liked her. RIP lovely lady

I found her songs very evocative, and listened to her “greatest hits” album frequently, especially when i was in college. “Lay down (candles in the rain)” was my favorite.

She was only 76. No cause of death was given.

:cry:

I like"Brand New Key". It’s a cute little double entendre song.

She had a delightful sense of humor which popped out from time to time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UhxL8ZvH-c

Here’s a couple of her wonderful performances you might not know:

I’m So Blue

Lover’s Cross

I watched Melanie on YouTube a couple years ago. Her son was accompying her on guitar in some live sets. I this was from 2016.

Her brand new Key :key: and skates now shelved.

I hate seeing counterculture icons pass away. It’s a stark reminder of how much time has passed.

RIP

Melanie and her son

Not according to her, it’s not. She has repeatedly denied that there was any winking going on with the song.

Sometimes a key is just a key.

mmm

OK, I gots to know: why is the subtitle of Brand New Key (Combine Harvester)?

Don’t know where you saw that but The Combine Harvester is a parody version of brand new key. I never heard the original versions mentioned in the link but there was a version by the Ukrainian/Canadian comedian Metro.

If you’ve never heard of Metro that just means you’re not a 60 year old Western Canadian.

Much obliged. I’d seen the “subtitle” in a couple sheet music books but no parody lyrics accompanying.

Gyrate, that’s hysterical! Thanks for posting.

And sometimes an artist just likes to be vague about the songs meaning in order for people to come up with their own interpretations and keep a controversy going. Consider the line “Don’t go to fast, but I go pretty far”. That and some people thought that key meant ki as in kilo of drugs, definitely not about that if that’s the meaning you are referring to. I have been listening to it since it came out and never once thought it was just about roller skating. It’s about a young girls attraction to boy.

As I said in another thread:

Does the label or record company control that? Because if it’s the label, it was owned by Melanie and her husband.

That’s why I said “the story goes…” because it was on her own record label (Neighborhood) and presumably she and her husband had control over how her recordings would be released, as album cuts or singles. I’ve never seen a definitive answer. Perhaps the distribution company had a say in it, or perhaps it was her own decision which she later came to regret.

Either way, that cute little song getting played over and over on Top 40 radio blew any cred she might have built up as a serious artist. There was a lot of musical snobbery back in those days.

I was a big fan…and honestly thought she had died years ago. I remember posting a song and mentioning how I wish I could have seen her live before she passed and a friend responded “She’s still alive…and is playing a show not far from me.” Floored me.

I suppose. I found this on the ABC News site:

mmm

I think I saw her on TV one time, some variety show in the mid '70s. She was performing a song called “Hurricane,” replete with some wind effects, IIRC. But I remember “Brand New Key” being all over the radio at one time.