Robber: "Damn, that's good wine."

As a group of friends were winding down after feasting on shrimp and marinated steaks while hanging out on the back deck of a Washington, D.C. home, a hooded man slipped in through an open gate and held a gun up to a guest’s 14-year-old daughter’s head.

*According to police and witnesses, the robber said: “Give me your money, or I’ll start shooting.” Everyone stood in shock and silence, including the young girl’s parents…except for one guest.

Christina Rowan said to the robber: “We were just finishing dinner. Why don’t you have a glass of wine with us?”

The robber then decided to take a sip of the group’s Chateau Malescot St-Exupery wine.

“Damn, that’s good wine,” he said.

According the International Herald Tribune, the hostage girl’s father then offered him the whole glass, while Rowan insisted he take the whole bottle. As the robber dropped his hood and took another sip of wine, he had a bite of Camembert cheese. He then pulled his gun in towards his pants, and said: “I think I may have come to the wrong house.” He then apologized.

The robber then asked: “Can I get a hug?”

Christina reached for the robber for a hug, and the rest of the group did the same after the gunman said: “Can we have a group hug?”*

With that, he then left with a crystal wine glass filled with Chateau Malescot St-Exupery. Later, police investigators found the intruder’s very same crystal wine glass in an alley behind the home, reportedly very, very empty.

After reading this a couple of days ago, I stopped by the store and picked up a nice Camambert. I’m still looking for the Chateau Malescot St. Exupery because, you know, you never can tell when someone might drop by.

Let me know which week the SDMB Wine Club tries this one. I’ll be all ears.

The “can I get a hug?” is where it went from surreal to believable for me. Poor guy (meaning the robber)…I hope he gets help before he hurts anybody.

They probably misunderstood his request “Can I get a rug?” My guess is that he would prefer a Persian.

Gene Weingarten discussed this briefly in this week’s “Chatalogical Humor” He said:

This might be a true story but it reads like a wine commercial.

And probably will be one, before too long.

Something tells me that wouldn’t have worked with Boone’s Strawberry Hill and Cheeze Whiz on Ritz.

How about MD 20/20 and crunchy pretzels? That always puts me in the hugging mood. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hell, in the D.C. area some steamed crabs and a cold beer would do it for many would be criminals.

At least it wasn’t fava beans and a nice chianti…