romance???

CanadianSue and elelle– I guess true love never dies. I believe it. After that note I found two other’s tucked into books I re-read 10 years later.

I wouldn’t be even remotely surprised if I found one ten years from now. It was really one of those forever things. Even though he died, it’s still one of those forever things.

I told him to go to hell.

Just kidding.

Of course I said YES! Sadly, we never did get married. He was transferred 2500 miles away with the military and between my kids, my job, and property that I own, I was not able to make the move. We continued a long distance relationship and visits 3 or 4 times each year (still do), but until the miles bring us closer, the wedding is postponed indefinitely. :frowning:

>^,^<
KITTEN
If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

Has anyone seen the new Disney catalog?

Something in there really made me wish I had a girlfriend. I want to have someone I can send a Pooh-Gram to.

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

I believe that too Byz… i think if you find your one really true love and that love is deep into your soul… it will never die no matter what… he is always with you in spirit.

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

heatherlee Explaining romance at all to most men is the most impossible mission.
Even if they do understand the concept of romance they stop after they think they have you for good.

Brian (my Brian, not evil Lord Satan) is a deliciously romantic guy. Not all the time, but just often enough to keep me feeling absolutely adored. He’s awesome.

Probably my favorite was this past Valentine’s Day. Actually, it would be the week before Valentine’s. On Tuesday night, there was a ring at the door; I answered, and there was this message–spelled out in spaghetti noodles–“Fer Laura.” There was a small box wrapped in plain brown paper, decorated with hearts he had drawn; inside was a 1928 necklace. Wednesday, he spent his entire lunch hour to drive over to the school where I teach and leave off another small box wrapped in plain paper–the matching earrings–and a card. Thursday, there was another knock on the door–I opened it to reveal all these lovely hearts and flowers he had drawn on the porch with sidewalk chalk, my name swirling among them. In the center of this was a box of Godiva chocolate. Friday, he brought me daisies; Saturday (Valentine’s) he brought me roses and took me to a favorite restaurant. Cool, eh? :slight_smile:

But I can be romantic, too. This is Bri’s first year teaching middle schoolers, and it’s stressful to say the least. He had his first Back to School Night a few weeks ago, and so I snuck over to his place and set up a little care package for him. I made cards on my computer for each item I placed in his room: one card said “For the body,” and was placed on a heating pad (amusingly, the inside of the card read “Turn me on, lay on top of me, enjoy me”). Another card said “For the mind” and was placed on a Discover magazine (his favorite), as well as an article from People on the cast of SNL. A third card said “For the tummy” and was placed on top of a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies (inside of that card read–of couse–“eat me”). The final card said “For the heart” and was placed with a single rose on his pillow. In that card, I wrote all the mushy stuff. He loved it. :slight_smile: Rather fun, this romance stuff!

I used to think the world was against me. Now I know better. Some of the smaller countries are neutral.

Laura’s Stuff and Things

Daniel –
I got a poo-gram once. I didn’t like stomping it out on my doorstep though.

Other guys, I’m sorry to say, have made it much easier for some of us to be romantic with you ladies. I had a girlfriend who went into throes of ecstacy when I pulled out and held a chair for her!! Just calling a lady after the first date has ‘em charmed anymore. But, when I go all out I go all out.
I’ve got a little sumpin’-sumpin’ happening for GBS when I get back to the states. All she knows is I’m taking her to the mountains of Va. for four days! I had her make the reservations so she won’t know what hit her and it’ll be even more of a surprise!!

My wife’s plenty romantic to me; I haven’t posted until now because I wasn’t sure what example to use.

Until this past weekend.

We were doing a crossword puzzle together over supper (like always). I step away from the table for a little while. I come back, and she’s gotten up from the table, and I see that she doodles in the margins of the newspaper. Three little hears with a 3-d look, inside them, the words “I love Mattis.”

I turned into a pile of mush then and there.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Romance is not about leaving behind gifts or messages that fade away. Romance is found in respect, honestly, truth and unconditional love.

Romantic gestures are always nice, but without the things that truly bind, there is nothing.

I’ve never had anyone to be truly truly romantic with. I’ve had some attempts that never came to fruition, though. They sure seemed to like it up until the inevitable ‘it can never be’ stage.

Anyways, my views on what romance is doesn’t go along with the standard. A single flower is romantic, but tons of flowers all the time loses its significance. Wining and dining and candlelight is all a bit cliché for me.

Stars. Quiet time. Having a laugh together. Enjoying a walk. Running through an uncut field. Watching the waves break. Doing something she likes, for her, even if you don’t like it. And her doing something similar, just for you. Writing her a poem that really means something to you both.

Romance is more than just chocolates and jewellery…

:slight_smile:

“Well, roll me in eggs and flour and bake me for forty minutes!”

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat

heatherlee “Explaining romance at all to most men is the most impossible mission.” Considering that only three posts on this thread have been concerning men isn’t that a little unfair?

I’ve often felt that the most romantic things are spontaneous and simple. When I was younger I once made a little box, for a single chocolate, out of the cover of one of my pads of air mail paper, a nice, firm, powder-blue card, complete with a little rose on top, also made out of the card. The thing took nearly an hour to make because it was so small and my fingers aren’t. I went down the hall and gave it to the girl of my dreams (whom I knew pretty well). Her first reaction was “is it one of those chocolates that turns yor teeth black when you eat it?” Sheesh.

If this can be counted as a romantic gesture, then so be it, it definitely means a lot… I recently lost the closest person to my heart. I explained my loss to a friend that I’d met on-line and have remained in constant contact with for over a year, he too had suffered such a loss. His gesture was to plan a weekend away for both of us, all platonic, chaperones provided if needed :wink: to a sunny place that is warm (he knows that I have been wanting to go to CA) and exotic. Although, I won’t take him up on his adventure, I find his friendship to be real and loyal. His caring and wanting to ease my pain is romantic to me.

I’ve never had anything really romantic done for me, mainly because I’m an incredibly difficult person to be romantic with. I’ve never gotten flowers. I think I would KILL someone if they sent flowers to my workplace. I mean, it’s a nice enough gesture, but do you know what everyone thinks when someone sends you flowers at work? They think “hmmm, I wonder what kind of fight they got into?” Before you know it, you’re the subject of workplace gossip. Yeah, that’s fun.

Besides, flowers die. Do I really want the symbol of my relationship with someone to be something that’s pretty for a week, and then wilts and has to be thrown out? I don’t think so.

I’ve had exactly ONE romantic thing done for me. One of my former boyfriends showed up at school waiting for me with a picnic basket after I’d had a particularly difficult midterm. He’d cooked an entire picnic lunch for me. That was sweet.

Of course, I’ve never done anything romantic either, really. I wouldn’t know how to start. I’m not a very loving or lovable person.

Can you really expect to get truth, respect, honesty and unconditional love if you don’t give it away.
When you give it away then you will find your true love Tammie

Well, if you swallow, then all is forgiven!

:slight_smile:

Romance is not dead.

I have sent my gf flowers. I also once snuck into her parking lot and filled her car with balloons. I give her cards for no reason, and leave her voice mail when I get into work just to let her know I thought about her. And I think that is what romance really is; letting the other person know that we’re thinking about them.

The important part (to me, anyway) is just letting the other person know they are important. It doesn’t have to be something big or special. Just a quick call to say “hey, I just wanted to let you know I love you” is more than enough.

Flowers are just plants that don’t go in a salad. It’s what they represent that’s important.

“Drink your coffee! Remember, there are people sleeping in China.”

Dennis Matheson — dennis@mountaindiver.com
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb — www.mountaindiver.com

Thanks BG for your insightful words of wisdom; who better than you to give me advice. What do you think dear Gypsy? The best laugh I’ve had in a long time!