Ron Johnson may not run for re-election

Republican U.S. Senator Ron Johnson, who represents Wisconsin, and who has been widely criticized for a range of controversial and/or dumb statements, has dropped hints that he may not run for re-election next year. It appears he may realize that his unpopularity could doom his campaign.

In a story today on Madison.com:

I seem to recall that he promised during his first campaign to only serve 2 terms. He could fall back on that and keep his promise and save face.

I wish he’d do it sooner than later so other potential Republican candidates could raise funds and create recognition.

A guy from Oshkosh, just upriver from Green Bay, references the coach of the Vikings?
It’s like he’s already given up on running again.

I am so sick and tired of these shitbag “victim” Republicans. When did being a crying, whiny asshole get popular? “The media.” Fuck off, and if you don’t run again Wisconsin and the country will benefit.

Also:

“I want to make sure that this U.S. Senate seat is retained in Republican hands.”

Not “I want to make sure the people of Wisconsin get excellent representation in Washington.” Not “I want to make sure the Senate carries on its critical role in governing the United States.” No, it’s the party that’s most important to him.

Very telling, though not surprising.

Moderating:

You’re not in the Pit. Please dial back the language for P&E posts.

Not a warning.

PredictIt bettors seem to think it will be Rep. Mike Gallagher if Johnson doesn’t run. I’m not sure why.

Who will win the 2022 Wisconsin Republican Senate nomination?