Roughly 12grams of Carbs in one pint of beer, is that right?

If so, it’s less than I feared.

Source

I just want to be sure My maths are right, the source doesn’t say whether the carb figure is in grams.

1 fluid ounce = 0.0296 litre

I am trying to eat better (less and healthier), but I haven’t stopped drinking. I drink four beers (440ml each) a night, of Budweiser (I prefer other beers, but bud pours quickly without a stupid thick head) Therefore I am conscious about the carbs and calorie intake. It seems to equate to about 50 carbs and 600 calories a night.

It depends of on the beer. Miller lite is (IIRC) 3.4g, Bud lite is about twice that and regular bud about 4x that, so 12 is not out of the question. Some beers are more naturally low in carbs such as stouts, while others are higher.

Just to clarify that is for 12 oz, not a pint. Also when you say:

I assume you mean that beer has more carbs then you wished.

Stouts are low in carbs? I don’t think so. Darker beers (ie beers with more heavily roasted malts) are generally higher in carbs because the roasting deactivates the enzymes that crack the starches into sugars the fermenting yeasts can eat. Fewer starches converted = less of the malt’s original starch content turned into alcohol = more carbs in the beer.

I agree with the ideal that stouts would not be particularly low in carbs, but not for the reason you propose. Whether the calories are present in the form of alcohol or unfermented sugar makes no difference, does it?

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

Here’s some info on beers. The data for carbs is pretty sparse.

I’d heard Guinness was fairly low in carbs too. I guess not though. :frowning:

It has less calories and carbs than Budweiser, at any rate. (125 v. 146 and 10 v. 10.6)

Then why?

Unfermented starches, technically. And it does make a difference as the yeast do extract energy from the starch and produce alcohol as a waste product. Not total oxidation, but alcohol is more oxidized than carbohydrates. Also, people who swear by low carb diets seem to think caloric intake from anything other than carbohydrates is preferred.

The reason given to me that stouts are low in carbs (lower then lighter brews) is that the dark roasted ‘stuff’ have a much stronger flavor, so you use less of them, and more simple carbohydrates which get converted to alcohol at a much higher percentage.