Rudolph....racist/sexist undertones galore???

Last night I watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, like I have every year, with my kids. While watching this year though, I picked up some very un-PC references. Of course the obvious being Rudolph being outcast for his different colored nose. Even Santa himself wanted nothing to do with him. Santa?? I know it all ends well and teaches dont judge a book by its cover, it was just strange to see. Then Rudolph’s dad goes looking for him and tells his wife to stay in the cave because it’s “man’s work”. Funny. there were a few other things throughout. All the girl elves in pink dresses, the boys in blue suits, and not a single unwhite face in the mix. guess its just a sign of the times

so you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts. what’s so amazing about really deep thoughts? Tori Amos

When that show was first released (mid-'60s?) women and minorities had bigger issues than what color clothes Santa’s elves were wearing. It’s a sign of the progress we’ve made that we now focus on such petty things.

Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.

Or, maybe not everything needs to be sanitized to avoid offending someone or giving the appearance of sexism or racism. It’s a freaking Christmas special!!!

Sorry, just had to air that out. Back to my normal flip remarks now.

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

It didnt offend me, Mullinator. I just never noticed these things before, maybe it’s my own personal evolution I noticed, or as Elmer pointed out, our progress as a society. I love those old specials, like I said I watch them every year and will continue to watch them every year. I’m not condemning or criticizing by any means, just sharing my mundane pointless interpretation of a classic xmas special.

so you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts. what’s so amazing about really deep thoughts? Tori Amos

But at the time Rudolph got his big break, that’s the way society (even at the north pole) was. They’re just presenting an historically (sp?) accurate documentary. Do you want them to rewrite history just to make it PC?

It is too clear, and so it is hard to see.

I kind of agree with Psycat. A few years back, after my 30th or 40th viewing of Rudolph (I have it on tape), I began to become appalled with the behavior of the North Pole denizens. Specifically, Mr. Claus himself. What a fat, fascist pig! Look at his behavior–

–whines constanly to Mrs. C
–immediately jumps on the “I hate Rudolph” bandwagon
–when talking about the missing Donner, is only concerned about how it affects him
–immediately cancels Xmas when the weather gets bad
–allows the elf boss to harrass Hermie

This sure doesn’t seem like the guy from “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town”. Now that was a Santa that would go the extra mile for you!

Santa Claus is a fat toad. He hasn’t brought me anything good since I turned 30. In fact, every XMas since, I wake up and find something missing.

I already got enuf chins you old creep! And I WANT MY HAIR BACK!

We oughta hang HIM by the chimney with care.

Humbug!

BAH!

JB
Lex Non Favet Delicatorum Votis

I believe that “Rudolph” is in fact a veiled reference to the identity problems of being homosexual. Especially Herby the elf:
“Herby doesn’t want to (make toys/date girls)!”
“I want to be… a (dentist/fashion designer)!”
“WE’RE ELVES!” (NOT FAIRIES!)

The one that gets me is “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”… especially the lyric

if you sit on my lap today
a kiss a toy is the price you pay

EEKK!!! So Santa is a pedophile, and later grows into a bitter man who abuses outcast reindeer. Lovely.

Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
“Meat flaps, yellow!” - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Apparently,theres a movie coming called Olive,the “Other” Reindeer. I assume its about homosexuality. I’m wondering if squrlcub goes to santas nowadays just for “fun.”
:wink:

[singing]if you sit on my lap today
a felch a toy is the price you pay
[/singing]

I never noticed most of un-PC references in this show until recent years. The only one I’ve noticed from the very beginning, though, is the Santa thing. How could Santa be so, well, so downright mean to poor Rudolph? And he doesn’t give a rat’s fanny about him until he realizes that Rudy’s got something he needs.

Sigh. How am I gonna explain this to the kids?

I don’t see why people get upset when you call the show sexist and racist. It is, because society itself at the time was sexist and racist. Does that mean the special should be edited and/or modified in any way? No. Should someone make a special today with the same attitudes? No.

I never cease to be surprised at the sexism still alive in popular culture today. In almost any action picture you see, the main protagonist, the person who gets things done, is the man. The woman is there to be rescued and/or to assist the man in conquering evil.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry