Rudy vs. Hillary

Ok, we’ve seen several threads about how Rudy G. is acting like he owns New York (rather than just managing it). And we pretty well know he’s gonna be running against Hillary for Senate. So this brings up the inevitable question of who you would vote for if you lived in New York (or, for those of you unfortunate enough to actually live there, who you will vote for).

So, let’s hear it!

Neither would get my vote.

They are both too heavy-handed, when what is needed here is the conciliatory approach.

New York politics has always suffered from fragmentation, but these two could only make things worse.

…glad I vacated the Empire State in 1998. However, while I like where I live now, guess who I’ve got for a Senior Senator. :frowning:

We all love Strom “I saw God create the World myself” Thurmond.

How do y’all keep him alive anyway. Human Blood? Virgin Sacrifice? Negro Baiting?

Not Strom, who is the only known member of the Republican Party born before it was founded. I’m living a bit further north, where Jesse is at the Helm.

Pretty interesting choices you give us, considering that neither of them are officially declared (note to Hill & Rudy: Ditch the charade already!).

As for which of the two I’d vote for (assuming that those are the choices on my ballot next November)? Rudy in a heartbeat.

Not only do I like the way he’s managed the city, Hillary’s blatant phoniness disgusts me. If she wants to run as an outsider who’d make a good senator (the oft-cited RFK analogy), let her do so, but putting on the Yankee cap was the clincher for me. I probably wouldn’t have voted for her anyway, but now, there’s no way. If Giuliani took an AK-47 and shot up a busload of schoolchildren, I’d vote for a third party candidate. But not that phony Hillary.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

My vote also goes to Der Mayor. I hate him. I hate that he doesn’t believe in the same America I do. I think that his disregard for freedom outweighs the (undeniable) good that his law-and-order campaign have done for the city.

But Hillary makes my skin crawl, mostly for the reasons cited by CMKeller. Plus I don’t even know what her vision of America is, and if she came and told me personally I’d have no reason to believe her. Not only that, but she came in an bumped aside perfectly good Democratic Senate candidates for her own aggrandizement. That ambition for ambition’s sake is a real turn-off for me.

My consolation prize is that Rudy will be miserable in the Senate. A megalomaniac like that as the junior member in a deliberative body of 100? Catching grief from Trent Lott? Please, he’ll have an aneurysm his first year.

The only really bad thing about sending him to D.C. is that the smarmy, annoying busybody Mark Green gets to be Mayor. Eccch.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

manhattan:

Only for another year. I think we can grit our teeth and let him run the place for a year until we can elect someone better…and who knows, maybe he’ll pleasantly surprise us?

Chaim Mattis Keller

Cmkeller

It would be one heck of a surprise, but maybe. I’m wondering what the next race will look like. I think it’s fair to say that the “Herman Badillo for Mayor” movement has been slowed a bit.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

I’d probably vote for the Libertarian guy, what’s-his-name.

Here is a link to a story that presents the idea that Hillary may actually run for pres.

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=1999/9/28/12129

I hope I did that right.

Jeffery

In answer to my own question, I’m glad I don’t have to make the choice! :slight_smile:

I can’t stand Rudy’s attacks on freedom, and could not, under any circumstances, bring myself to vote for him. Hillary is carpetbagging and, if I were < shudder > a New Yawker, I wouldn’t want to vote for her either. Plus, as one person already noted, who even knows what her positions are?

I would probably vote, as another person indicated, for the Libertarian candidate. But if it really looked like it was a close race, I might force myself into voting for Hillary, just because the last thing needed in the senate is another anti-freedom blowhard.

Hillary of course. Can you seriously imagine Rudy Giuliani playing nicely with the other 49 kids in the Senate? Clinton may be a cloying phony, but that hardly makes her unusual among politicians, and I have a hunch I kind of like the politics that are actually hers (rather than whatever-the-heck she decides to espouse), and she did work successfully and amicably with a wide variety of folks on that health care thingie until the health insurance lobby shot her down.

PS—not a day goes by that I don’t resent the failure of that bill.

Designated Optional Signature at Bottom of Post

The world really needs one more guy with power telling us what’s moral. If I had to choose one or the other, Clinton in a heartbeat. I like her ideas on health care too.

Can’t you guys find your own democrat to run? Just wondering.

Therealbubba

What ideas on healthcare? That all those who work their butts off each day should pay for the healthcare of those that do not? What if everyone pays for their own healthcare now that is fair.

I would almost vote for THE SATAN as to vote for Shillary.

Jeffery

Jeffery, I apologize in advance for this, but that is simply stupid, as it fails to take into account:

1. Many people do work their butts off, as hard as if not harder than you, often raising a passel of children on their own while working some shit manual labor job, and aren’t lucky enough to have a job that even offers health insurance. Are they just supposed to be screwed? How about their kids?

2. You really think whatever comes out of your check every week/month actually pays for all your health care? Think again.

Oh, and I don’t mean this just as a cheap, irrelevant shot, I really mean it–that’s one of the most unChristian things I’ve ever heard from someone who professes devout Christianity. Jesus commanded his followers to feed the hungry and clothe the poor, and in general take care of the destitute. He also said that whatsoever you do to the least of your brethren you do to him. Dammit, how can you sit there and just say, “I got mine, they can get theirs?” That is so hypocritical!

Phil writes:

[/quote]
as hard as if not harder than you, often raising a passel of children on their own while working some shit manual labor job, and aren’t lucky enough to have a job that even offers health insurance
[/quote]

Lucky??? Phil I am not overly sure of your background from an academic standpoint, but I believe you are in a fairly professional job, IIRC. Were you lucky in getting your job? Were you lucky that you went to college? I would guess that you went to college and worked hard got at least fairly good grades and have worked your way up to get the job you have today.

Luck has nothing to do with it. This is freakin’ America. Anyone can work and go to college and they do not have to have a passel of kids and should not if they cannot afford them. After college they can get a good job and make good money and have/afford health insurance.

I am not sure about you comment about what comes out of my check paying for my health care. But I do understand that my company graciously pays a portion of my healthcare and I pay the rest.

I made good choices and went to college and co-oped in college to get valuable work experience and money for college. I then got a job with a good company and have worked my way up into management. Have I been lucky? Heck no. I have purposefully made decisions that I thought would help me and decided not to do other things that I thought would harm me.

I am sorry but I do not buy this luck or “winning life’s lottery” that the Democrats would have you believe.

Jeffery

Jeff, I got news for ya: It ain’t as simple as you make it out to be.

For example, I just recently found out that the nurses who work in my pediatrician’s office don’t get health insurance. That’s right. They went to college. They got a good job. They work for a doctor, for pete’s sake, but they are not offered health insurance.

Like I said, it’s not so simple.

(Note: This is not to say I support Hillary’s plan; I am just making a point to you.)

Y’know, Jeff, I couldn’t agree more. After I finished college I could have become a stockbroker, but I was lazy and I decided to work in a homeless shelter. There was no health insurance, which was a bitch because I was exposing myself to TB, hepititis and so on every day. But looking back it, I see that that was my own fault; those people had made bad choices in life, and I should have just let them suffer the consequences, even if that would mean freezing to death.

I’m trying to convince my brother of this; he works as a counselor in a home for juvenile delinquents (he’s always been the kind of person to take the easy way out). I try to tell him that if he’d just go back into public relations, he’d be happier–and have insurance. But he refuses to get a real job. Lazy bastard.

I guess we both get it from our dad; he’s got a Master’s degree, but he’s spent the last 40 years pastoring small churches. The current one is so small they can’t give him health insurance. He even moonlights at a temp agency sometimes to supplement his small salary. There he is, 64 years old, temping, all because he thinks that a bunch of retirees, farmers and single mothers deserve to have a pastor (Shoot, I bet half of THOSE sluggards don’t have real jobs with health insurance). I try to tell him that he has to stop making choices that hurt himself, and but the damn fool won’t listen.
You know, as an aside, I gotta mention that when I’ve talked to runaways or people in shelters or projects, sometimes they tell me about how they grew up in broken homes, or in poverty, or with abusive parents. Once–true story–I met this girl whose stepfather had molested her from the time she was a little girl, and then started pimping her out when she was 14 (he did let her have crack to make it easier). Anyway, I got really pissed at her when she tried to tell me that her life had been hard; it was like she was implying that mine wasn’t, y’know? I told her “Hey babe, this is America, we all got the same opportunites! I made something of myself, you could too if you’d stop feeling sorry for yourself!”
PS: This is funny–her dream in life was to be a nurse’s aide. You gotta get a better job than that if you want Health Insurance!