Rush Limbaugh admits prescription drug addition

Cite? I don’t think he’s generally shown heard-heartedness toward individuals who are in one bind or another, including addiction–just scepticism toward the liberals who cynically exploit aforesaid individuals’ pain with dishonest, self-serving, and ineffectual policies.

I’m with Mr Blue Sky on this one.

That guy is a hypocrite and so are you flakes who support him.

Not feeling sorry for someone is not the equivelent of r"ejoicing in their suffering. " That’s a dumb statement. So is the one about first amendment rights. Don’t manipulate other peoples words.

“Judge not, lest ye be judged.” Rush has made a career out of judging other people, often with gleeful vituperation. I very much doubt he’d have dredged up any compassion for a Clinton staffer who was in the same situation. So why should he be exempt from criticism?

Methinks Rush is getting a taste of his own medicine. :wink:

So he likes to feel all chipper and mellow and talkative, does he? I wonder how often he did his show high. Half the time? More?

Alas for the dittoheads who have to own up to the notion that they might have been getting their daily talking points and marching orders from a conservative William S. Burroughs.

So he’s for harsh sentences for drug users. Then they should charge him, convict him, and send him up. If they can.

Gotta say I got a mean case of schadenfreude for this guy. Typically, I like to think that I’m a pretty compassionate guy, but I can’t help but take some malicious joy in what seems like some karmic payback.
When the guy that’s been harping about Clinton not inhaling for the last 11 years, or when speaking about Jerry Garcia : “When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he’s being honored, like some godlike figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks.”
It almost seems just that his pious, better-American-than-thou condemnations came back to bite him on the ass.

Reminds me a bit of when Jimmy Swaggart was caught years ago with a prostitute, after defrocking fellow Assemblies of God minister Marvin Gorman for his extra-maritial affair and describing Jimmy Baker as a “cancer in the body of Christ” for his affair.

Maybe that makes me heartless, but don’t mind me if I don’t send El Rushbo a Get Well Soon card.

Gotta say I got a mean case of schadenfreude for this guy. Typically, I like to think that I’m a pretty compassionate guy, but I can’t help but take some malicious joy in what seems like some karmic payback.
When the guy that’s been harping about Clinton not inhaling for the last 11 years, or when speaking about Jerry Garcia : “When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he’s being honored, like some godlike figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks.”
It almost seems just that his pious, better-American-than-thou condemnations came back to bite him on the ass.

Reminds me a bit of when Jimmy Swaggart was caught years ago with a prostitute, after defrocking fellow Assemblies of God minister Marvin Gorman for his extra-maritial affair and describing Jimmy Baker as a “cancer in the body of Christ” for his affair.

Maybe that makes me heartless, but don’t mind me if I don’t send El Rushbo a Get Well Soon card.

It’s this statement that gets me:

I mean it’s that same sort of Clintonesque double talk that he harped on for eight plus years. He is a serious hypocrite and is deserving of lots of mockery.

Haj

Not feeling sorry for someone is not the equivelent of r"ejoicing in their suffering. "

No but saying “I wish him hell” is.

Look, I don’t want to pick apart his politics here. Rush is the most successful talk show host in radio history. It’s not like he’s on the extreme fringe like Fred Phelps or Jack Chick. He wouldn’t be so popular if what he said didn’t resonate with someone.

I think a lot of people look down on prescription drug abuse until they’ve been involved in it. I believe Rush will come out of this with a little more perspective on the failed Drug War. And who knows, from his soapbox, he may be able to effect some changes.

Hypocrite.
Yeah, the pain-killers are for lower-back pain. And Kurt Cobain self-medicated with heroin for his stomach pain. :rolleyes:

He’s dished it out. Let’s see if he can take it.

It’s not like he couldn’t afford the best help available.

HE CHOSE TO BREAK THE LAW!

Are you privy to some information from law enforcement that the rest of us aren’t? His housekeeper made some claims that the police are investigating. And just because he could afford the help doesn’t mean the doctors could or would help him.

Oh, and Sinful? Come back and talk to us after you have gone through two back surgeries and tell us the pain is all in your head.

Look guys, back pain is not a cakewalk. Heavy duty medicines are necessary to provide even a little relief. I’ve seen Ivylad feel lucky if he makes it from the bed to the couch. I’ve seen him unable to take out the trash or bend over and pick up a newspaper. And I saw what happened to him one night when he went to visit his parents and left his pills at home. I did not get the pills to him until the next morning. Suffice to say he never left home without his pills again.

Okay, I’m jumping the gun on the illegal pill-buying thing. My WAG: he’s guilty. Call it a gut feeling.
Why couldn’t/wouldn’t a doctor help him?

Doctors are somewhat gunshy about prescribing such strong medications, knowing how addictive they are. Fortunately Ivylad had a good team of doctors who weaned him off the pills after the morphine pump was installed. Whether or not Rush is a candidate for a morphine pump, I don’t know. But I can tell you after awhile the pills don’t work. Imagine being so accustomed to Oxycotin that Tylenol is ineffective for a headache, so you have to suffer.

As for your gut feeling, Blue Sky, could it be prejudiced against Rush because of his political opinions? You want him to be guilty because you disagree with him?

Try setting aside your disagreements for a minute and see the man. The man in pain. The radio talk show host who went deaf, for God’s sake. The man who had two surgeries on his back, the main support for his body. You don’t know how much you depend on your back for everything until it goes out of whack. You can’t sit, stand, walk, or lie down without pain.

As I said, hate him for his views, but don’t wish any more ill luck on him. It diminishes you when you rejoice in an adversary’s misfortune.

It isn’t his politics; it’s how he used them, that have so many of us feeling less than compassionate about this. Rush, as far as I can see, never gave a damn about the people he trashed; no, he reveled in self-righteous put-downs of his targets. He’s the one who spent many years, and earned mucho bucks, rejoicing in his adversaries’ misfortunes. Now he should get compassion? Heh. Let him apologize to all the folks he savaged for the same sort of behavior he’s admitted to, before you call for kindly thoughts for him. He won’t though; that would mean admitting he’s built his career on hypocrisy.

I’m as non-political as they come. The man is simply a jerk. His fame and fortunes have swollen his head to gargantuan dimensions. He’s always right and everybody else is always wrong. I’ve never seen an interview where he didn’t come off as a pompous dickweed.

I don’t think compassion should be automatic.

:shrug:

Well, I for one am going to wish him well in his recovery. Who knows, he may come out of this a kindler, gentler, Rush.

I can’t say I feel much sympathy for the man.

He seems to have built his career on harsh criticisms of others’ failings, and here we are, finding out the pompous windbag has feet of clay, as do we all.

I do hope he pulls through OK and successfully kicks his habit. He’s got some hard lessons to learn about life, and I don’t envy him that one bit.

He made his bed, he can lie in it.