Sarah Palin and Alaska Separatists.

<soapbox>I know this is not GD. But I just have to say the so-called “liberal” media has been beating on Barack Obama something fierce. But almost nothing negative has been said about John McCain or Sarah Palin. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t entirely support Barack Obama either.</soapbox> There I said it. Now on to my question:

Is it true Sarah Palin and her husband are somehow linked to Alaskan separatists, that said they hate America and want Alaska to be a sovereign nation?

I did a google search a couple of days ago. But the information I found was sparse and at times contradictory. I also did a search on these boards on Sarah Palin and came up with nothing. So as far as I know, I am the first person to bring up this subject.

Thank you in advance to all who reply:)

Todd Palin belonged to the Alaska Independence Party for a time, and Sarah verbally supported them, but not recently. It’s a party of nutjobs who think Alaska should be a separate country with its own currency and should sell our mineral wealth to the highest bidder. They’re also full of conspiracy theorists, survivalists, commie baiters and racists. Other than that, a fine upstanding group.

From the AIP’s website.

IIRC, the AIP is the largest political party in Alaska (in terms of members in the state), in that case, it would make sense for Palin to have connections to the party if she was going to be running for political office. Much like how Rev. Wright’s church is said to be “the” church on the south side of Chicago for a person to join if they’re going to be going into politics.

Wiki page on the party’s founder includes this quote:

Make of that what you will.

So, did you enjoy your vacation on Mars?

I don’t know if this is the proper forum for that debate. But alright, maybe I look at the media with preconceived notions. And yes, maybe I am not as well-read as I could be. So what other negative things have been said (in the U.S., we’re talking) about McCain and Palin? The only thing I have heard about in the main media is Troopergate. And that one is pretty weak, I think. What else is there:)?

Shortly after she was picked, the story about her being a “member” of the AIP broke and lots of people were all over that. There’s been a number of threads about it.

However, why should people be digging vigorously into McCain/Palin’s past (outside of the Obama campaign, of course) as they’re so far behind in the polls? Any negative information would just put them that much farther behind, and any positives would no doubt have been put out by the campaign by now.

We don’t have to “get” you wrong. Yer wrong. A simple Google search on these two re Fly Off The Handle/Inexperienced/Book-Banning/Expense-Account Sleazing/Keating Five/Campaign Ad-Whoppers/Genuflect To Right-Wing Nutjobs/Bomb bomb bomb Iran for starters will get you lots of material.

Re Alaska separatism - based on my vast experience of Alaskan affairs through a two-week vacation this past summer, there seems to be a fair amount of resentment of visitors and streak of independence amongst the natives, who try not to notice their reliance not only on said visitors but on all the food and other goods imported into the state from the evil lower 48, without which they would have to subsist entirely by hunting and trapping caribou and grizzlies.

So it looks like the AIP is, literally, anti-American. Does Michele Bachmann know about these people?

No, they’re just celebrating their Alaskan heritage.

On a serious note, AIP founder Joe Vogler was pretty open about his feelings on the United States (“The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government. And I won’t be buried under their damn flag. I’ll be buried in Dawson. And when Alaska is an independent nation they can bring my bones home.”) but how widespread are similar opinions among current members of the party? Was Vogler considered to be a fringe extremist in the party or are his views typical?

Hatred for the American government isn’t the same as hatred for America.

Apparently it is for Joe Volger. Note that he doesn’t say, “I’ve got no use for the American government,” but “I’ve got no use for America or her damned institutions.” Apparently, Volger despised both America and her government.

Not by a long shot. The majority of people are registered as independents, not as members of the AIP.

Actually, make that “undeclared”, not independent. The AIP has the third largest membership following the Reps and the Dems.

I stand corrected.

Todd Palin was a member for most of the 1990s, unregistered for a time, reregistered for a few years, and then as of 2003 (I think) registered as an independent.

Sarah Palin provided a video address to the AIP’s annual conference this summer in which she exhorted them to “keep up the good work.”

I actually find that quite surprising. My home town (in Californai) was visited by many alaskan crab fisherman and while I grant that’s certainly a rather specific segment of the population, they all loved coming down to California for their vacations during the off-season and hanging out at our local bars with us, and they told great stories so we all loved having 'em (plus most of 'em could F*#$KING DRINK!)

Yeah, there’s a love-hate thing going on here with tourism, which I don’t really understand. I think you’ll find that merchants love you, but Cletus the Plunger doesn’t. This state couldn’t survive without imports or without the USG providing huge numbers of jobs and green stuff, so it’s all just bullshit from the fringe element. Tourists pretty much stick to tours and buses, so I’m not sure why it’s such an imposition on people.

IME, the whole “we’d better off without the Feds” is a pretty common meme among rightwing types. Most of them, however, don’t seem to be as organized as the Alaskan variety of nutter.

You’re fucking kidding. Palin has been called an anti-feminist, inexperienced, incompetent, phony, and pretending to be a woman (the last according to Wendy Doniger in Newsweek). She was attacked for working very close Trig’s birth, saying it endangered the baby. She’s been criticized for NOT aborting him. Andrew Sullivan, the insane editor of Atlantic Monthly, is not convinced Trig is her baby. He thinks Trig might be Bristol’s baby and wants a DNA test.

SNL “joked” about incest between Todd Palin and Bristol.

Tasergate, including accusations of ethics violations.

Her new wardrobe provided by the campaign to the tune of $150k. (Of course, if she just wore her existing clothes, she’d be criticized for dressing like a hick.)

CNN recently interviewed her. The interviewer gave her this quote from National Review: “I can’t tell if Sarah Palin is incompetent, stupid, unqualified, corrupt or all of the above.” The interviewer maliciously left out the first part of that quote which changed the meaning entirely: “Watching press coverage of the Republican candidate for vice president”.

The Obama campaign aired an ad saying McCain doesn’t even use email. The lazy bastards failed to Google. They would have easily found out that he does use email but has someone else type it in because of injuries from his brutal treatment as a POW.

This is just off the top of my head.

No, no bias here. Nothing to see. Move along. :rolleyes:

Not recently?
This video shows a date earlier this year