Say it ain't so, ...Ursa

posted 04-09-2000 10:43 PM

<<<<<Don’t go to any trouble on my behalf, Ed. I know where the door is.>>>>>>>

I hope this doesn’t mean you’re leaving the board Ursa.

Please say t’ain’t so.

Judy

“Muck should replace ‘suck’. For ‘muck’ is yucky, while ‘suck’ feels very lucky. So, don’t stay stuck on suck, switch to MUCK, today.”

It’s true. Papa’s gone.

Damn.

Well, that mucks!
Peace,
mangeorge

Teach your kids to bungee jump.
One them might have to cross a bridge someday.

If you don’t see him in General Questions (his favourite forum) in the next few days, I would say it’s a safe bet he’s gone, which would be very sad, because he was very knowledgeable and always gave out accurate information, and he was also a funny poster.

Oh god, not again.

What led up to it? What thread was that in?

God is my co-pilot. Blame Him.

Aw shoot.

Man, all these cool posters keep leaving. WallyM7, you better not leave. At least not till I get that sig…

Your machine has proved scientifically that there’s an ancient demon locked within her.

Nevermind, here it is:
http://boards.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000902.html

Damnit, I don’t know that I can justify patronizing a “place of business” that threatens to kick my friends out, just for voicing their opinions. I’m gonna have to think about this…

Well, there’s a new kid in town: http://fathom.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Give it a try!

Goldie

Gentlemen certainly DO prefer blondes –
and with good reason!

OK. Thought it over. I’m gone.

I’ll be over at Opal’s if anyone needs me.

<<<Well, that mucks!
Peace,
mangeorge>>>>

My second smile for today, thanks mangeorge, I * needed * that!
I’ll keep checking in GQ, I know he’s always quick with his insights and can usually weave them with his humor too.
This is so incredibly depressing.

Judy

“Muck should replace ‘suck’. For ‘muck’ is yucky, while ‘suck’ feels very lucky. So, don’t stay stuck on suck, switch to MUCK, today.”

Shit.

I sold my soul to Satan for a dollar. I got it in the mail.

With * one * word, you somehow have caught the spirit of this, Surg. Thanks :frowning:

Judy

I remember the last time PapaBear vanished; y’know, before he became Ursa Major.

He promised himself he wouldn’t get so caught up in it all thsi time around. Too damn bad.

But he left once. I missed him. Then time passed and I didn’t really. It’ll be like that again some day.

P.S. Go to hell, Goldie.

–John

Martin.
It’s what’s for dinner.
Brought to you by IATeALeC*
*Indiana Academy Teen Association for the Legalization of Cannibalism.

John? Opal has had a message board over on her Teeming Millions site for a couple of years. She recently dropped her old web software (that was really clunky) to pick up a copy of UBB.

She has posted at least twice, there, that she does not want that site to be the anti-SDMB. With no direct link to Cecil’s columns, I don’t think that it will become the anti-SDMB, anyway.

While I agree that Goldie’s post looked a lot like “Hey, let’s all go there and leave this place,” I doubt that her post would have that exact result. Since a certain number of people that we do like and respect are choosing to distance themselves from this MB, what is wrong with having them go to a known location where we can keep in touch?

I think that it’s unfortunate that we’ve seen these irreconcilable differences pop up in our midst. If we turn individual decisions into a massive Us vs Them war, all we are going to create are hurt feelings all the way around. As long as Opal is successful in keeping that MB from becoming a “let’s all sit around and curse the SDMB” (and I think she will succeed in that), then I see no reason for us to hurl brickbats after people who leave this MB.

Tom~

Although I’m sure she’ll catch it on the daily attacks on the administration, 24KaratGold is directed here:
http://boards.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000916.html

–John

Knights of the Order of Snopes: Above All Accuracy

I think that it’s unfortunate that we’ve seen these irreconcilable differences pop up in our midst. If we turn individual <<<<<decisions into a massive Us vs Them war, all we are going to create are hurt feelings all the way around. As long as Opal is successful in keeping that MB from becoming a “let’s all sit around and curse the SDMB” (and I think she will succeed in that), then I see no reason for us to hurl brickbats after people who leave this MB.>>>

Well said. It’s just sad to see so many people who added so much here, leave.

Yue Han, I’m reminded of something you wrote back in March:
'So here’s a prediction:
There’s going to be some whining
Someone will compare the administration to nazi germany and complain about free speech.

Someone else will bring up how we got the flaming folders changed as proof how bitching gets the admins to change things, thus convincing the admins to never, ever give in on anything again.

Good posters will quit the board as a result of the bad feeling stirred up.

Despised posters will leave the board.

• [care to elaborate on this one??] *

There will be 6 new people whose first post is attacking the board.

** And the admins will not let Melin come back. **

So please, people, show some [ahem] restraint. Stirring up trouble will only drive off more good posters. And having lost Melin, I don’t think we need to lose anymore.’

As a relative ‘newbie’, part of what drew me here was the warmth, and sometimes ** intense heat ** of the discussions. People who show great passions in their arguments are the same who end up throwing down the gauntlet and having to walk away. Saving face? I don’t know, it just seems sad, that the only way to solve a dilemma is to walk away, rather than finding ways to work it out.

The Board goes on, you all are proof of that, and I’m sure it will survive and do quite well.

I just miss them, and I didn’t want Mr. K going or Ursa leaving and not acknowledging they were ** here ** and that now they aren’t anymore. That’s all.

Judy

“Please Disregard the Following.”

I did something I’ve not done before. I went to the pit threads linked in this thread and read them through in their entirety.

I feel dirty and will go take a shower - confirmed my impression that the Pit is not a nice place. (Sorry, Lynn)

Did taking a shower help?? I’m a bath person, myself, and it isn’t helping, even with bubble bath. :frowning:

“Please Disregard the Following.”