Scenes that were serious back then but risible now

I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Leave the gun. Take the canolli.

Similarly “I could have been a contender!”

ST:Voyager, “Learning Curve”:

I don’t think it’s describing exactly the same thing. Usually when you feel something is hackneyed and derivative (even if you know that it’s not), you don’t also find it humorous. Nobody today is watching Seinfeld and saying, “Oh my God! Jerry’s gotten himself into another situation that other sitcoms have since copied a hundred times over! This is comedy gold!”

For a send up of many lines and scenes, including “We don’t need no stinking badgers,” see UHF with Weird Al Yankovic.

Talking of Star Trek. The original series is full of examples of the OP. I mean the whole thing comes across as very camp and risible, but particularly the scenes that have been parodied (like the Kirk vs Gorn fight, or any occasion a red shirt dies :grin: )

Loath to admit it (as it came out what 10-15 years ago tops :wink: ) probably the Next Generation is also starting to look that way too. Whichever episode the Picard Facepalm meme comes from is definitely less well known that the meme itself:

Somebody once said, nothing about Next Generation screams “It was the 80s” quite so much as this:

Meet our bridge crew: The brave and resourceful Captain. The Captain’s loyal, stalwart First Officer. And the Captain’s therapist.

That’s similar to my reaction to watching Hamlet.

From The Apartment:

I live in the West Sixties - just half a block from Central Park. My rent is $84 a month.

If you are watching either of the original movies, I don’t think you’ll be laughing. Out of the movie, out of context, maybe. But I just can’t imagine anyone being so jaded they would laugh at Brando at this stage in his career.

The iconic opening of Easy Rider, where Peter Fonda pulled off his wristwatch and threw it away, had already become a joke when Albert Brooks threw his watch out the window of his Winnebago in Lost in America.

When I see The Maltese Falcon now, I’m amused that Wilmer, Cairo, and Guttman are all clearly meant to be gay.

I think this was intended as a joke then - the Surgeon General hadn’t made his announcement but the fact that cigarettes were dangerous was widely known even in 1951.

42nd Street is another film that originated many film cliches, so it seems much more hackneyed than it was to audiences who saw it when it came out.

Also, a line that always provokes unintentional laughter from the audience is the scene in It’s a Wonderful Life when George Bailey sees the cop and the cabbie at the broken-down house and shouts “Bert! Ernie!”

Unfortunately, a lot of the makers of the movie are dead to ask if that was their intention, thing is that the movie includes other scenes where actors are smoking, with no accidental irony.

http://smokescreeners.net/all-films/pages/The_Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still_(1951)/index.html

Also, at that time, the tobacco companies ruled the entertainment industry a lot in those years.

Agreed.

In the early Woody Allen movie Bananas a gang of thugs comes into the subway car and start threatening people, including a Little Old Lady. Nobody interferes, including Allen’s character, until they come to a stop and Allen gets up and pushes them out at the last moment. Only it isn’t the last moment – the doors re-open, and they come for him.

The thug attack isn’t meant to be funny – it’s serious until the pushing-out-the-door scene occurs. But it’s impossible for modern audiences to take seriously because the Lead Thug is an easily recognizable pre-Rocky Sylvester Stallone.

One play – and movie – that has been overtaken by time is Neil Simon’s first, Come Blow Your Horn. The main character has a “swinging” big brother, Alan, whose girlfriend, Connie, has been after him for years to get married and settle down. She finally enters, clearly drunk, and says they should spend the night together. Alan reacts with alarm and desperately tries to get her to change her mind and go home.

Can a modern audience even begin to relate? Clearly a vast cultural change has swept through between then and now.

(The movie version starred a definitely-too-old-for-the-role Frank Sinatra as Alan. The only good point was that Dean Martin had a cameo as a drunk approaching him.)

Not quite the same thing, but of the same period and also involving cigarettes. In The Creature from the Black Lagoon, there’s a scene where the hero and heroine are leaning over the rail of the boat, discussing the great beauty of the unspoiled, untrodden wilderness that they’re sailing through. At which point they finish their cigarettes and casually toss them into the river.

I don’t know if it was intended as a deliberate piece of irony at the time (it may well have been), but it definitely looks that way now.

For example, the actual meaning of the word gunsel.

I was at a showing of The Day the Earth Stood Still in the mid-seventies at MIT, and this scene evoked laughter then. Only a quarter of a century after it was originally released.

Sometimes local geography and circumstances can do the same thing. Near the end of TDTESS the military units tracking Klaatu’s route say “He’s turning on to Massachusetts Avenue!” 77 Massachusetts Avenue is the “front door” address of MIT, so that brought a burst of laughter.

Similarly, one line that was meant to be funny was, when I saw it, much more hilarious, for a completely different reason. In Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home the Enterprise Bridge crew has time-traveled back to the 20th century and Kirk, trying to account for Spock’s apparently eccentric behavior, explains to their 20th Century contact that “I think he did a little too much LDS”

Of course, Kirk meant “LSD”, so it’s funny that he screwed up the familiar initials.

But I saw this at the premiere in Salt Lake City, the heart of the Mormon world. Except that they prefer the term “Latter Day Saints”, commonly abbreviated “LDS”.

So when Kirk explains to Gillian Spock’s weird behavior by saying it’s because he did a little too much LDS, it was right on the mark. The theater erupted with howls of laughter, and you could hear any of the lines for a couple of minutes. Gillian’s rejoinder (“A little too much LDS?”, said in a skeptical tone) was lost in the roar.