SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year 12

I am also on board with “trading up to the playoffs is fine.” Yes, teams may be trading towards a youth movement if they have a bad record at season’s end, but nobody is actively trying to lose. I know I’m not, despite my 3-8 record and clear absence of anything to gain by winning. Honestly, when I made the trade with Justin it never even occurred to me that we had a trade deadline in this league other than the playoffs. I agree that the playoffs are different, because non-playoff teams no longer have to maintain a legal roster since they have no more games.

How on Earth did Beef let Josh Gordon get through waivers now that he’s eligible again?

Longest of the long shots but who knows?

So I’m sitting here scouring for TE fill-ins (Kittle’s on IR and Gronk has bye – I’m not totally incompetent) and I realized that Marcedes Lewis is STILL playing football. I’m really impressed by this. Come to find out he’s only missed 22 games in 15 years in the league. With just over $52m in career earnings. Seems like he’s worked primarly as a blocker, aside from one freak season with 10 td’s in JAX, he has 37 on his career. Never exceeded 700 yds in season, and in fact has only 251 total in the last three seasons with the Packers. He’s not earning my start, I’m pinning my hopes on something called Anthony Firkser, which means Marcedes is likely to have a career game. Still, hat tip to Mr. Lewis!

James Conner is likely to come off the Covid list Monday but not play, so I’m going to keep him in that IR spot until the end of the Yahoo week after the Tuesday game.

Perfect time for a win streak where it can do nothing but hurt my draft position. Not only am I winning, but I’m beating the people who were just a game ahead of me, so I’m getting a win and inflicting a loss on competitors for the draft picks. I hate to complain about wins, and I’m never going to tank obviously, but the silver lining on this disappointing season was that it seemed like I had a shot at the #1 pick.

@Petey Your kicker, Boswell, appears to be out for tomorrow. There are other free agent kicker options available, including whoever his backup is, Tyler Bass, Greg Zeurline, and Dustin Hopkins. I would appreciate if you started one. I know it seems silly worrying about it for two non-playoff teams, but our game is likely to come down to a few points and I think not tanking is really important to overall league fairness, both in terms of affecting the playoff picture, but also affecting the draft. It’s not really fair to determine draft picks if team starts their best lineup and tries to win and the other doesn’t.

I think this wasn’t recent news - I think I saw this Saturday night when I was setting our rosters that Boswell was projected at 0, and you had another kicker on your roster who could’ve been started (Jake Elliot).

Don’t we assign the #1 overall pick based on the consolation bracket anyways?

No, I think you’re thinking of HHM, where I think we do that. In this league, we did add meaning to the consolation bracket by giving the winner the #5 pick (because the players in the consolation bracket own picks 5-8) but not #1. We’ve always given the top 4 slots to the worst 4 finishers.

Think it was the #5 pick that I was remembering.

Well, a crushing defeat at the hands of Gusterhhoids eliminates me from the playoff hunt. Congrats on your juggernaut team!
So somebody please remind me of the finishing impact on the draft picks? I remember it’s complicated but not much else.

I think it’s as Beef described it.

Draft Order

1. Last Place (Record+Points)
  2. Second to Last
  3. Third to Last
  4. Fourth to Last
  5. Winner of the Consolation Bracket
  6. Consolation Title Game Loser
  7. 3rd Place in Consolation
  8. 4th Place in Consolation
  9. 4th Place
  10. 3rd Place
  11. 2nd Place
  12. First Place

Ok. thanks.
Is the consolation bracket based by divisions or only points or what?

I remember we discussed the consolation bracket / draft order rules a couple of years ago but I can’t remember what came out of it. The 2020 draft order was calculated using the criteria that Omni posted, which I guess is correct. I have a vague memory that we only gave the number 5 slot to the winner, but that slots 6-8 were assigned in reverse order of finish in the regular season. I’m gonna have to dig up the rules discussion later when I’ve got some time, maybe it was just a discussion and never passed.

I think, though I’m not 100% sure, that division record only comes into play as a tie breaker for who gets the playoff spot for winning the division. I think the seeding for the consolation bracket uses record as the primary comparison and points scored as a tiebreaker. Jules probably knows.

Hey @SenorBeef, just in case it becomes relevant for a tie-breaker, are you still able to swap in Kyle Rudolph for Mark Andrews (COVID) on my week 12 lineup? Doesn’t change the week’s result, but depending on tiebreaks it could matter for playoff seeding.

Also, I see a notice on the league page about enabling playoff reseeding. Is this something we want to use?

Sure, done. I forgot to go back and check any roster adjustments because the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game ended up taking place and I figured people probably set their rosters assuming it would, and that changes would only have to be made if the game were cancelled.

Well this season sucked. A ton of injuries, almost all to one of the most vital positions in fantasy, yet I still put up the 2nd most points. To no avail, because I had crappy luck in points against too, leading the league by a large margin. And my current division champ finishes with more points against than points for.

At least I can play the role of spoiler. I get the Great Old Ones, who need a win to have a chance at the division championship and the last playoff spot. Should be interesting.

Here’s hoping I can at least secure the 5th pick of the draft. That way I can grab another RB who will likely miss half the season.

I know I lost this week, but I’m just going to drop this exchange between Jules and I from September right here for no reason whatsoever…

This is so weird. My matchup with Jules is completely meaningless this week. I can’t catch him to win the division. No one can catch me for the wild card. And no one can overtake Jules for the #1 seed.

So we’re going to get matched up again next week in the first round of the playoffs.

You guys should start all bench players just like the top NFL teams do in week 17.

I still want another win over Beef this week. But he must have sent a case of Wheaties or something to the Bears as he’s racking up the fantasy points with his two Bears.

I’ve got the real Derrick Henry back this week. Let’s see if Mostert and Conner can put up some points too, love the old school fantasy with RB points.

And, of course, it would be sweet to see double digits from Logan Thomas who has been a nice pickup. Ian Thomas has been a total bust.