SDMB FF Dynasty League: Year Six

I’m not really seeing why it should be any different. In my mind, a draft pick is a draft pick. Team X getting a second rounder for the IR player doesn’t screw anybody after them any more than if Team X decided to drop two players instead of one.

However, I do now see the point you’re making, and have no objections to, uh, “IR draft slots” coming after the draft in a separate, supplemental draft. In practice, we’d likely just move those pick to the end of the draft and treat them as part of the regular draft, but it amounts to the same thing.

I’m good with making them post draft.

To reiterate, I have no opinion about whether IR picks should be post-draft or if they should give picks proper; either way is fine with me. However, I would like to point out…

…having the IR picks be post-draft fails to address the issue VarlosZ outlines here. It penalizes you with the loss of a draft pick in exchange for the privilege of having one of your players out for the whole season with an injury.

I say that because I see no functional difference between a supplemental draft and just signing guys off the waiver wire after the draft.

I agree with this, but I don’t really care what the league decides on this rule. It affects me this year but it will affect other people in future years, so whatever you guys think is fair is fine with me.

Whatever we decide will be fine with me. I’m not up in arms over anything, just stating my position.

Just posting my roster here so I can get a good look at it, and to advertise for potential trade partners, and to brag a little (I can compete with this team; not many fantasy superstars, but also no real holes, and still young everywhere but QB). Listed in approximate order of utility for this year.

QB Tony Romo
QB Matt Ryan

RB Doug Martin
RB Reggie Bush
RB Zac Stacy
RB Ben Tate
RB Joique Bell
RB Jonathan Stewart
RB Benny Cunningham
[del]RB Willis McGahee[/del]
[del]RB Daniel Thomas[/del]

WR Calvin Johnson
WR Randall Cobb
WR Larry Fitzgerald
WR Michael Crabtree
WR Michael Floyd
WR Emmanuel Sanders
WR DeAndre Hopkins
WR Justin Blackmon
[del]WR Kenny Britt[/del]
[del]WR Vincent Brown[/del]

TE Greg Olsen
TE Zach Ertz
[del]TE Jermichael Finley[/del]

[del]K Phil Dawson[/del]

DEF Carolina
DEF Baltimore

The biggest weakness would seem to be a lack of top-end talent at RB, but would so many guys with legitimate possibilities (yes, even Jonathan Stewart – DeAngelo Williams is 31), I think I’m a favorite to get 2 good starters / 3 average starters out of that group. WR is top end as always. TE leaves something to be desired but is not a catastrophe. What I’d really like is good developmental QB, or a top QB for 2014, instead of two mid-tier veteran QB1s.

I entered my cuts, but it’s kind of a pain that I have to do it before the NFL roster cutdown because Kenjon Barner might survive. As of right now I’m dropping him, Owen Daniels, Joe Morgan and Case Keenum.

I am very open to a 2-for-1 trade. Still looking to improve at wideout and I am now willing to part with D-Jax for a top-end #1 plus something.

Here are my preliminary cuts, I might add one or two more before the deadline, but these guys are up for grabs for sure. Since I traded away my first two picks, right now that means I’ve got picks in the third and fourth rounds and will have to fill out the rest of my roster through the waiver wire.

Cut List
Edwin Baker Cle - RB
Jacoby Jones Bal - WR
Isaiah Pead StL - RB
Joseph Randle Dal - RB

Here’s my current roster. As you can see, my RB situation is… let’s go with not ideal. If you’ve got an RB you’re looking to move, let’s talk.

Current Roster
Drew Brees NO - QB
Andy Dalton Cin - QB
Mike Glennon TB - QB

Matt Forte Chi - RB
Frank Gore SF - RB
James Starks GB - RB

Vincent Jackson TB - WR
Alshon Jeffery Chi - WR
Rueben Randle NYG - WR
Anquan Boldin SF - WR
Kenny Stills NO - WR
Brandon LaFell NE - WR
Nate Burleson Cle - WR
Eddie Royal SD - WR

Jason Witten Dal - TE
Charles Clay Mia - TE
Jared Cook StL - TE

Stephen Gostkowski NE - K
Robbie Gould Chi - K

Cincinnati Cin - DEF
New Orleans NO - DEF

I’ve entered my keepers. I’ll be cutting:

Brian Hartline, WR, Miami
DuJuan Harris, RB, Green Bay
Andre Brown, RB, FA
Josh McCown, QB, Bucs
San Diego, Def.

I was on the fence with a couple starters being cut, but I’ll have bigger problems if I have to start McCown or Hartline.

My roster after cuts:

QB

Philip Rivers
Robert Griffin III
Kirk Cousins
Matt Flynn

RB

Jamaal Charles
Adrian Peterson
Alfred Morris
Toby Gerhart

WR

Brandon Marshall
Pierre Garcon
Keenan Allen
Percy Harvin
Eric Decker
Jarrett Boykin
Steve Smith Sr

TE

Vernon Davis
Julius Thomas
Coby Fleener

D

Tennessee

K

Justin Tucker
Blair Walsh

That leaves me with 4 draft picks.

Almost everyone is up for trade, but I don’t need depth, I need studs.

Justin Bailey and I have agreed to yet another trade. Straight up swap of DeSean Jackson for Vincent Jackson.

Thanks for posting. Good to see someone worse off than me.

BTW the first overall draft pick is available for someone looking to trade down. Young RBs sought.

I don’t know what to do with Kenny Britt. I was going to cut him, figuring I’d waited long enough, but I see now that he’s reportedly having a very good camp, is pencilled in as the Rams’ WR1, he’s only 25 years old, and a note on Yahoo says his average draft position has crept up into the 11th Round in traditional redraft leagues.

So … now what? Despite this apparently good news, I still have at least 7 (probably 8) better WRs for dynasty, so I guess Britt is very much on the trading block. Keep in mind that just by cutting him I effectively gain a 3rd Rounder. So, I’d accept a 2nd Rounder for him, and would also be amenable to the idea of using him simply to move up X number of spots in the draft; so, if you have any interest in Britt and are willing to slide down some, let me know. Or some other deal you have in mind. As it is, though, he’s back on my keepers list.

I will be cutting:
Felix Jones
Josh Freeman
Michael Bush
Greg Zuerlein
Leonard Hankerson
Danario Alexander

This will give me 4 picks.

Can we get a final ruling on how IR players will be handled?

I just realized I had two guys on IR last season, so I need to cut more players. Now dropping Keenum, Taylor, Barner, Owen Daniels, Tim Wright, and Joe Morgan, so I’ll also have four picks.

I’ve decided to also drop Eddie Royal (SD - WR), so I’ll have three picks in the draft. My final cut list looks like this…

Edwin Baker Cle - RB
Jacoby Jones Bal - WR
Isaiah Pead StL - RB
Joseph Randle Dal - RB
Eddie Royal SD - WR

Since we only had a truncated debate about it, and a slim majority seemed to be in favor of IR picks at the end of the draft, I suppose we’ll go with the middle course for this season and do that, and then hopefully a year from now we can have a fuller discussion about treating them like normal draft picks.

Since we’re doing a manual draft anyway, I think the easiest way to handle it would be to **keep **the players who are going to be IR-designated after the draft on the Yahoo page, and then after we finish with the normal picks we’ll run a supplemental round here in the thread, and then we’ll sort it out before the season starts with me manually editing the rosters to make it all work.

So, anyone in this position should make sure to announce who their IR keepers are before the draft, and it should be no problem to treat them just like any other IR player on Yahoo. That said, make sure before you declare that the player in question is actually headed to IR, and not just (say) the PUP list. It would be kind of a clusterfuck if it turned out you couldn’t use an IR slot on the player and so had no room on your roster; I guess you’d have to forfeit whoever you picked in the supplemental round(s).
Ok, that having been dealt with, so far I count 7 teams who seem to have confirmed that they’ve entered keepers on Yahoo, though I assume more have done so or are primed to do so (Stringer, e.g.). Anyone who hasn’t, get those entered ASAP – like I said, I *think *you have all of Friday to decide, but Yahoo isn’t exactly clear on this, so it might be just another 12 hours.

On the trade front, I once again find myself with more valuable assets at WR than I really need, so I’m happy to listen offers for them – looking especially for young RBs or QBs, or possibly draft picks (even from next year). Kenny Britt can be had cheaply, the other guys will come closer to true market value (if you know what Justin Blackmon’s market value is, you’re a wiser man than I):

WR Calvin Johnson
WR Randall Cobb
WR Larry Fitzgerald
WR Michael Crabtree
WR Michael Floyd
WR Emmanuel Sanders (Now featuring Peyton Manning!)
WR DeAndre Hopkins
WR Justin Blackmon
WR Kenny Britt

Not a fire-sale, but my roster’s a little unbalanced and if possible I’d like to tweak it.

My cuts and roster are below, leaving me with 22 active, 1 IR player. I think this means I get a 2nd round, 3rd round, and supplemental round pick, right? Or does trading away my first round pick mean I only get the 2nd round pick and I have to fill the last spot on my roster with an FA post-draft?

Cutting
Jason Campbell Cin - QB
Kendall Hunter SF - RB
Marcel Reece Oak - RB
Marquise Goodwin Buf - WR

QB (3)
Matthew Stafford Det - QB
Carson Palmer Ari - QB
Michael Vick NYJ - QB

RB (8)
Marshawn Lynch Sea - RB
C.J. Spiller Buf - RB
Arian Foster Hou - RB
Ray Rice Bal - RB
C.J. Anderson Den - RB
Bobby Rainey TB - RB
Vick Ballard Ind - RB (will be placed on IR after the roster cuts to 75 on August 26)
Bilal Powell NYJ - RB

WR (7)
Antonio Brown Pit - WR
Kendall Wright Ten - WR
Marques Colston NO - WR
Hakeem Nicks Ind - WR
Markus Wheaton Pit - WR
Malcom Floyd SD - WR
Reggie Wayne Ind - WR

TE (2)
Ladarius Green SD - TE
Tyler Eifert Cin - TE