SDMB Fantasy Football DYNASTY League: Year Seven

Alright, welcome back! I hope everyone had a great break. I’ll expect your “What I did on my summer vacation” essays on my desk by Thursday. We have everyone from last year registered on the Yahoo page and ready to go. We’re getting a somewhat later start on the thread this year than usual (sorry about that), but in past years very little discussion has taken place before August anyway, so we should be fine. Let’s get to it.
2014 Champion: Stringer (We Do HGH)
2013 Champion: VarlosZ
2012 Champion: Hamlet (CuteWiddleBunny)
2011 Champion: SenorBeef (Exploding Pancakes)
2010 Champion: Stringer (We Do HGH)
2009 Champion: Really Not All That Bright
2014 Final Results:

1. Stringer
  2. Petey
  3. SenorBeef
  4. Ellis Dee
  5. Justin Bailey
  6. VarlosZ
  7. RNATB
  8. Omniscient
  9. dalej42
  10. Hamlet
  11. RetroVertigo
  12. furt
    2015 Draft Order:
    Round 1
  13. furt
  14. RetroVertigo
  15. Hamlet
  16. furt [via dalej42]
  17. Justin Bailey
  18. RNATB [via VarlosZ]
  19. RNATB
  20. Omniscient
  21. Ellis Dee
  22. SenorBeef
  23. Petey
  24. dalej42 [via Stringer]

Round 2

1. furt
  2. RetroVertigo
  3. Hamlet
  4. dalej42
  5. Justin Bailey
  6. VarlosZ
  7. RNATB
  8. Omniscient
  9. Ellis Dee
  10. SenorBeef
  11. Petey
  12. Ellis Dee [via Stringer]

Round 3

1. furt
  2. RetroVertigo
  3. Hamlet
  4. dalej42
  5. Justin Bailey
  6. VarlosZ
  7. VarlosZ [via RNATB]
  8. Omniscient
  9. Ellis Dee
  10. SenorBeef
  11. Petey
  12. Stringer

Rounds 4+

1. furt
  2. RetroVertigo
  3. Hamlet
  4. dalej42 [dale’s last pick goes to Stringer]
  5. Justin Bailey
  6. VarlosZ
  7. RNATB
  8. Omniscient
  9. Ellis Dee [Ellis’ last pick goes to Stringer]
  10. SenorBeef
  11. Petey
  12. Stringer

The only numerically unbalanced trade from last year that affects us is when dale sent his 2015 1st Rounder to furt (for Jeremy Maclin). So, furt has to forfeit his last draft pick to make room, and dale gets a throwaway player and exits the draft with 24.
Notes

1. Last year our cut deadline was August 22nd and our draft began two days after that. The 2015 NFL season actually starts six days later (9/10) than it did last year, so we have a little time to play with. If we want the draft to start on a Friday (so we have the weekend to do the first round when most of the trade discussion will take place), we have the choice of 8/21 or 8/28. Our last two drafts have taken 8 and 10 days, respecitvely, so I think starting the draft on Friday, 8/28 is pretty safe. That would make the cut deadline the 26th. As always, make your cuts on the Yahoo page, but announce them here, as well, when you’re reasonably confident about what they’ll be. And put in some provisional cuts on Yahoo soon, so we have something to work with in case someone misses the deadline.

2. It was suggested again last year that we may want to eliminate the Kicker position. Have any of the previous “No” votes from the past changed their minds?

3. Any objection to making it official that trades involving future draft picks must be numerically balanced?

4. Due to a family health crisis that may sap some of my time and enthusiasm from fantasy football, I’m granting SenorBeef co-commissioner authority on Yahoo. So, if I suddenly disappear or something (not that I expect to), you can go to him if anything needs doing. As I understand it he’s also a little busier than usual, though, so if anyone else wants to volunteer for the backup-commish job, let us know.

5. Ok, and I think we’re all set. Trading is now open (including the trading of 2016 picks). Please take a look at your draft picks and the Year Six Trade Log (below) to make everything looks right and I haven’t forgotten anything. Please feel free to weigh in on deadlines and rule changes – if you want to propose a rule change, the sooner the better. I’ll update the Yahoo page in the coming days to set up our divsions, schedule, etc.

Let’s have a great year!
Archive
Year One League Thread
Year Two League Thread
Year One Trade Log
Year Two Trade Log
Notable Waiver Wire Transactions, Year Two
Year Three League Thread
Year Three Trade Log
Year Four League Thread
Year Four Trade Log
Year Five League Thread
Year Five Trade Log (plus addendum)
Notable Waiver Wire Transactions, Year Five
Year Six League Thread
Year Six Trade Log

Woohoo!

EDIT: Dates sound fine, I kind of like having kickers, and love the idea of pick trades being numerically balanced.

Woohoo!

I’m still against eliminating kickers. And I would prefer to start the draft during the week, since I post more from work (though if that doesn’t work for everyone else, it’s no big deal.)

I’m confused about who will be there at pick 6.

I’m going to be in the middle of the wilderness with no internet access for both 8/28 & 8/29.

Starting the draft midweek (say the 26th) is fine with me if that’s more convenient for most people. I don’t even know that the weekend is inherently better; I was just assuming. Makes no difference in my case, and having an extra couple of days for the draft as a buffer wouldn’t hurt.

I am fine with whatever for the draft, kickers are still stupid, we should force pick trades to be balanced.

Can’t wait for the season to start!

Woo! Dynasty League! I haven’t been posting much lately, but I could never walk away from this league.

I have big work things going on in August and September, so I’d prefer an earlier start if at all possible. August 21 sounds good to me.

I am still against eliminating the Kicker.

I’m not a fan of putting any limits on trades, but this would make bookkeeping considerably easier I’m sure. So put me down for a tentative “For It.”

No one’s officially on the block for The Gusterrhoids, but feel free to make me an offer. I love a good trade.

Tyler Eifert and Ladarius Green are on the block if anyone needs a young TE.

If anyone is interested in obtaining a top 5 RB in Adrian Peterson, just shoot me an offer.

Starting the draft any day after August 22 is fine with me. The first round always runs slow, but we always hurry things up. I’m neutral about kickers.

Any objection if I change my team name? I’ve lived in Chicago for 3 years and I use Chicago Cardinals for my other fantasy teams. I’m paying more attention to the Bears but I’ll always be an Arizona Cardinals fan.

I just realized I will be at a conference from 8/23-8/26. So starting the draft after the latter date would work much better.

What positions are you looking for in return?

Starting the draft on Sunday 8/30 would give us 12 days to complete the draft (including opening kickoff Thursday, which is a night game.)

The morning of Sunday 8/30 to start the draft works for me. The only response that might have an issue with it so far is Justin_Bailey. What say you, Justin?

Note that the all-important third week of preseason – where we see which starters go out for the season with injury – takes place mostly on Saturday, August 29th, which has 10 night games (!) on the schedule.

The only week 3 games after the 29th are:

Texans @ Saints (8/30 4pm)
Cardinals @ Raiders (8/30 8pm)

So starting the draft Sunday 8/30 in the morning would be close to my ideal start time anyway. (Monday morning 8/31 would be my choice in a perfect world.)

I’m good with that.

I can deal. I should be able to get to a computer at least once a day when my draft time nears. I can post a list of ranked picks that someone can select for me if need be.

I also don’t think I’ll have many picks, so I should be fine.

I feel like I missed my peak chance to win the league over the last couple of years. My RB situation will be on the decline. Although McCoy just turned 27 a month ago, he seems like he should be older. He probably has a few top years left in him. The Andre Ellington trade is saving my future at RB.

Trent Richardson is still on my roster.

None of my players are too old, really, I guess it’s mostly just Richardson and Mathews not amounting to anything, and obviously Josh Gordon’s perpetual fuckups that are sinking my chances. I can still field a solid starting roster, and of those players, they’re all still going to be playing at a high level for 2-3 more years at least.

But I’m nowhere near as excited for my roster as I have been in years past. I do think I’ll make the playoffs, and from there anything can happen.

My starting lineup currently looks like this:

The rest of my roster looks like this:

That means V-Jax is surplus to requirements, but I don’t have another credible WR on my roster. So I may as well keep him.

As much as he’s getting the ball in camp, it looks like Vereen is going to be locked into that flex spot most weeks. I’m going to have to keep Bell just because there aren’t guys getting 10-15 carries out there for the bye weeks (though Devonta Freeman could very well hold down the Falcons’ starting job, and Boom Herron is likely to get part time work in Indy, or full time work if/when Gore goes down).

I’ll definitely be dropping Hartline, Dixon, and Pierre Thomas (unless he gets signed). Turbin, Kearse and Wright have all been on my roster bubble for years. I’m willing to trade them for very little (say, small moves up the draft board, or as a package for slightly better players). Stringer, Turbin should be worth something to you. Reed is constantly on the verge of a breakout and constantly on the verge of IR. He’s available for a song.

Hamlet, I will trade you V-Jax plus Joique Bell for Peterson. I’m also interested in swapping the #6 pick for a QB. It would have to be someone better than Matt Ryan, though. Looking at you, furt, and your handsome Russell Wilson. I’m also interested in WRs. For somebody good enough (say, AJ Green) I might part with #6 and #7.

This sums up my feelings about my team EXACTLY.

Forte, Gore, Boldin, Witten, and Brees all have at least a year or two left. But I doubt they’ll all be able to have big years at the same time at this stage of their careers.

Also, when’s cut day?

Woo Hoo! Kelvin Benjamin is out for the season with a torn ACL! What a great start to my fantasy season!