SDMB FF Dynasty League: Year Four

Welcome back once more the SDMB Dynasty League! Everyone seems to be back from last year, which is wonderful, and we should look forward to another great season. There are a couple of draft issues that need discussing (see below), but for the most part there don’t seem to be any major changes on the horizon (though, as always, feel free to propose anything that you think is a good idea).
2011 Champion: SenorBeef (Exploding Pancakes)
2010 Champion: Stringer (We Do HGH)
2009 Champion: Really Not All That Bright
2011 Final Results

1. SenorBeef (Exploding Pancakes)
  2. Stringer (We Do HGH)
  3. Justin Bailey (Gusterrhoids)
  4. RetroVertigo
  5. Petey (Isotopes)
  6. furt (Fightin’ Quakers)
  7. RNATB
  8. VarlosZ
  9. Ellis Dee (Fanboys)
  10. Hamlet
  11. Omniscient (Ides of Martz)
  12. dalej42 (Warner’s Brothers)
    2012 Draft Order

*Note: **Beef **assumes in this post that we weren’t using the consolation bracket last year as a tournament to determine who gets picks 5-8. Now, I’m not even sure I set my rosters for Weeks 15 & 16, but, to be honest, my default assumption would be that we would have done it last year as in previous years. Now, if other players (in particular other players who were in the consolation bracket) say that they didn’t think those games were going to have an effect on draft order, then we’ll use the draft order that **Beef *posted in the link above (and if that’s the case, please let me know). Since I’d be the big beneficiary of that decision, however (moving from the 8th pick to the 5th), I can’t assume that that’s the case, and for now the draft order will be as follows:

1. dalej42
  2. Omniscient
  3. Hamlet
  4. Ellis Dee
  5. Petey
  6. furt
  7. RNATB
  8. VarlosZ
  9. RetroVertigo
  10. Justin Bailey
  11. Stringer
  12. SenorBeef
    Archive
    Year One League Thread
    Year Two League Thread
    Year One Trade Log
    Year Two Trade Log
    Notable Waiver Wire Transactions, Year Two
    Year Three League Thread

*** Off-Season trading is open.

*** Yahoo live draft is currently scheduled for Saturday 9/1 at 9:30 PM Eastern. But do we want to do a message board draft?

*** Keeper/Cut Declaration Deadline is TBA.

So, the question is do we want to do a message board draft over a period of a week or two?

Personally I’m in favor – sounds like fun, lots of opportunity for trading and commentary, etc. – and for those who don’t plan on being around all the time during the draft I’d have no problem drafting for you from a pre-ranking list (even a complicated, contingent ranking list, e.g.: “IF I draft a RB in Round 1 THEN don’t take a second one in Round 2 UNLESS one of my top 4 RBs is still on the board”). The benefit here would be that it’s a chance to have a pre-ranking list that actually works as intended for once, and even if there somehow was a mistake there’d probably be an opportunity to roll it back.

Most people seem to like the idea so far, but I’d like to hear from everyone before we decide. Unanimity isn’t required, but nor should a simple majority necessarily carry the day. We’ll see.

Like I said in the Year Three thread, I am totally for an in-thread draft. It would be a great kickoff to the season and, like others said, would probably result in some fantastic trades and/or trash talk.

EDIT: Also, I was under the impression that the winner of the consolation bracket would receive the fifth pick, as we did in the two previous seasons.

Champ here.

Thread draft with 12 hour windows sounds great - if people fear they’ll miss the 12 hour windows, they can e-mail Varlos with however many pre-ranked choices between now and their next pick. If Varlos is cool with handling that.

It gives us better room to trade - not only due to time limitations, but because you’ll be able to re-evaluate as the draft shakes out and make deals you didn’t know you’d want to, rather than having to pre-arrange pick trading pre draft. It’s more flexible too, since we don’t need to swap an equal number of picks as we would for an online draft trade.

Plus it’d just be interesting to discuss the draft as it happened.

We could even consider allowing trading picks from future years. I know some people didn’t like the idea because if someone ended up leaving the league, it would screw the person who inherited their team, but I think we all know by now we’ll all be acting in good faith, so it’d be okay with me.

As for the draft order - I honestly can’t remember if we made arrangements for the consolation bowl or anything like that. I don’t mind either way, I just don’t remember them. Can anyone link to the posts where we came to that decision?

Tight End Trade Post #4123: I’m willing to part with any of my guys for the right price. So if you want Gronk or Graham, send me an offer. WR is my most pressing need but I’d listen to RB too. I’m set at starting QB but if you add a decent long term backup QB to the mix I’d consider that.

I just went through the whole Year Three thread. It’s not mentioned at all. I’d assume that means everything carried over from 2010 where the winner of the consolation bowl got the 5th pick.

FF Toolbox average draft position

I have 2, 5, 6, 10, and 11. Almost half of the first round. And their average age is like 24.

It’s gonna be a good few years gentlemen.

Yawn.

I’m on board with the 12 hour draft window. I think our online draft last year lasted about 30 minutes. I’d also like to be able to Eli Manning type trades during the draft. For example, let’s assume I haven’t traded my first pick yet and I select RG III with the first pick. I could then open up negations for RG III for the best trade offer during the draft itself.

So what are you looking for for that first pick?

A top RB or WR. I’m looking to trade 2 of the 3: #1 pick, Brees, Newton.

Alright, so the only ones who have yet to weigh in are Omni, Hamlet, and Petey. I’m on the road this weekend with just my phone, so when I get back to my laptop I’ll send out a mass email asking for votes if they’re still not around.

In the meantime, I still think the message board draft is a really good idea that would be easy to implement. Budgeting 2 weeks, IMO, would be more than enough, and in the unlikely event that we started to run out of time there’s no reason we couldn’t just shorten the deadlines and ask folks to submit pre-rankings.

Just as a head’s up, I’m talking to several owners about potential trades. Also, if I do make a trade , there is no guarantee that I won’t flip the incoming player/pick later this summer or during the draft.

I’m all about making my team better this season and getting out of the embarrassment of last place.

I don’t remember if Varlos announces trades or not, but here goes, the first trade of the year is in the books…

Warner’s Brothers (dalej42) trades Andy Dalton to The Gusterrhoids (Justin_Bailey) for Ryan Williams.

If those who didn’t weigh in on the draft idea could go ahead and register your opinion we can get this all settled. I think the 12 hour window draft idea has fairly widespread support with no strong objections.

Alright my sons, there has been a trade.

After a whole lot of tries, I have finally managed to trade my tight end squad down to 2.

Exploding Pancakes trades Jimmy Graham, TE, Saints to Warner’s Brothers (dalej42) in exchange for the #1 overall pick of the 2012 draft.

Can anyone guess who I’m going to use that pick on?!

I think this was a very even deal, I’m quite excited about my team for this season. I still have Cam Newton or Drew Brees available for trade in a fair deal. I’m looking for a stud RB or perhaps a WR for either.

Don’t understand that trade at all. Why would you pass up Trent Richardson (top 5-10 pick in the year 1 dynasty rankings I’ve seen) for a TE?

Yeah I think it was a good deal for both of us. Graham was like the 11th non-QB scorer in all of FF last year which is crazy from the TE position, better than Antonio Gates used to be in his prime. And he’s young and improving and his situation is stable. Better, even, since NO lost a receiver, he may get a bigger chunk of the receiving share.

I’m actually slightly higher on Graham than I am on Gronk, but it’s close enough that I offered a choice in my trade offers. But more importantly, I’m big on Finley too - I think he’s going to be top 5 this year after full recovery from his injury, so I’ll still have 2 of the top 5 tight ends rather than having 3 of the top 5 with one always on my bench. If I didn’t have Finley, I don’t know if I make that trade - hard to trade the 2nd best TE season of all time with a bright future for a rookie.

I’m going to have a starting RB squad of McCoy, Mathews, and Richardson, the best QB, and still the best tight end squad. And my receivers are going to be pretty good.

If you guys surrender now, and hand over your women, I will spare your lives.

Graham is a top WR, and he fits the TE position. The NFL is a passing league.

The “for a TE” nonsense is going to screw a lot of people up in fantasy football. If he traded for a WR who was young, on a steady offense, and put up 1300 yards and 11 TDs, would you think that was so strange? And yet because a tight end did that - a position where such a level of production is far rarer than at WR, and hence, more valuable because of it - that makes it worse?

There’s no reason to suspect Graham’s year was a fluke - he’s young, he’s still learning to play football, and his offense is still intact. You think a young, injury free Antonio Gates - possibly with a higher ceiling - has the value of “just a TE”?

Graham is only behind 4 wide receivers last year and he hasn’t hit his ceiling yet. Top 5 WR numbers from the TE position (where you can still field the normal number of WRs on your roster in addition) is hugely valuable.