SDMB is so hostile these days (not just the pit)

Is there a hostile way I can tell Lib I’m sending happy vibes his way?

Babylonian sewer rat . . . mmmm . . . spicey. . .

Well, I do. I am 5’10", 195, weightlifter, black belt, contact lenses, distinguished graying dark hair. And my daughter picked out my shirt, so it matches.

But this is the Pit, and over-the-top abuse is a tradition, and often highly entertaining. And GD wouldn’t be any fun if people weren’t arguing as hard as they can, and to win. That’s the fun of it. If everybody agreed to disagree, nobody learns anything.

Consider the ignore list, if you can’t just learn to skip over some posts.

Regards,
Shodan

PS - I have a note on my PC to pray for you, Libertarian. May God comfort you in what you are going thru now.

Of course!

“Listen, you goat-felching ass-licking bastard son of a syphillitic Babylonian sewer rat, I’m sending happy vibes your way. Deal with it.” :wink:

Granted, it’s a little schizoid, but whaddya want for free?

“Yo, I’m sending good thoughts your way, motherfucker!”–does that help?

And, yeah, two of the most notorious bigots on the board think that they draw negative comments because their critics are just unhappy people. If that’s what they need to think to get through the day, more power to them.

AS for Skutir’s comments, this board soes not intend to be cliquish, but there are definitely different levels of interaction here. Some folks spend time on IRC, they Live Journal, and they call and e-mail each other, so, yes, some folks have more intimate connections with each other that may seem to be exclusive to others. I pretty much limit my participation to the board and the occasional Dopefest, but I don’t feel bad about missing in-jokes or not being in any of the so-called cliques.

As for the pack mentality, hey, welcome to the Internet and human nature. The Dope is acutally a pretty fair-minded place–if you want to see examples of groupthink and packs of wild posters being vicious to one another, check out the fundy boards like Rapture Ready or Baptistboard.

Sounds good to me. :smiley:

I don’t pray, Lib, but I am having good thoughts for you.

Just don’t go mass-inviting them to GD to state their case(s). We’ve got enough bullshit and bigotry in GD masquerading as previously unknown race theory (complete with -oid endings and capital letters for each race) without having to deal with people who sincerely believe we’re in a theocracy.

Oh. Forgot to mention my black belt, too. I don’t lift much (if, really, ever), but I’m somehow not so much the weakling.

I’m sorry to the OP that I hijacked his thread, but I really do appreciate the good wishes and prayers from everyone. I’ll be leaving in about an hour to go to the neurologist. I’m sure everything will be fine. It’s only atoms. :slight_smile:

Why would you tell someone you don’t like his shirt? That’s pretty rude.

You call yourself a gay man and you don’t comment on other people’s tacky fashion choices? Mind you, to their face is a bit much, but still . . .

Lib, you’re going to be fine. Hopefully, you don’t have MS, but if you do, it’s manageable. One of my sisters has it (the evil, bitchy one) and she still mamages to raise a family and keep house.

I’m holding out positive thoughts for you.

'Tain’t the egos that worry me. It’s the ids.

Several of the posters in the Trek threads have the most, elaborate, and bizarre Yoshi fantasies.

A few Dopers secretly yearn to be the filling in a Hobbit sandwich.

But, it all pales in comparison to lecherous hungers of TroyMcLuresf. I’d heard rumors of course. But I never thought people actually did that with fish.

I have friendly exchanges of ideas with people with different opinions quite often here. Attack the argument, not the poster is the best rule of conduct for any forum here. I will disagree with the OP, too, because the level of hostility you experience here is most likely in proportion to what you’re doing yourself. I have very rarely had hostility directed at me, because I have rarely directed hostility at others. When people are doing their pile-on thing, I don’t participate, and try to re-direct it if it seems appropriate. Otherwise I just close the thread and don’t go back.

This is not the most inviting board, that’s true. It also isn’t a closed community - if you stick around long enough, and don’t post shite every time you post a reply, you’ll be as welcome in the community as anyone. No one’s going to come out and give you a basket of cookies as a welcome gift here, though. And just ignore the ritual exchanges and in-jokes; I do.

(And it’s the Canadians, not the Aussies who are the most intelligent posters. Silly sun-soaked wankers. :D)

Cripes, you’ve been here a year longer than I have, and you feel left out by the inside jokes? If you don’t get something, just ask – there are plenty of Dopers who’ll be happy to inform you, and not with condescension, either. Every so often, someone starts a MPSIMS thread asking “What does ***** mean?” and helpful Dopers chime in with explanations, links to the threads where it started, useful tangents, and so on.

As to my “whiners” comment being “name-calling and tough-guy* posturing”? Whoo-wee, little child, whatever are you doing in the Pit if you think my feeble contribution is bad? There are masters of invective here who make me look like a kindergartener. Shodan, just for one among many, could eviscerate you with wit and style without breaking a sweat. Am I a mean-spirited elitist who disembowels newbies for sport? Ask Starving Artist about that.

I’d say gobear and featherlou have nailed it. Except, featherlou, that it’s New Englanders who constitute the smartest posters here – the climate weeds out the unfit, you know.

*BTW, I’m a broad, so kindly phrase your epithets accordingly.

New Englanders? I thought it was us mongrel, hybrid immigrant types who don’t know which culture we’re using at the moment who were the best and brightest! :wink: (Note to EddyTeddyFreddy: what part of New England? I’ve got friends and family up there and I’ve been known to head that direction once in a while.)

Right now, I’m a little more on edge than usual thanks to recent events in Great Debates. I’ve already deleted one very nasty post before hitting Submit this week, and I have a feeling I may be tempted to do so again. There are also people who have a habit of posting vitriol and cruelty who may see more of such things on this board because it’s returned to them, sometimes in spades. It’s a case of reaping what you sow, I’d say.

Libertarian, you’re in my thoughts and prayers as well, of course. I think you’ve got my phone number; use it if you need to.

Have I covered all the major points in this thread?
CJ

This right here is a perfect example of the subject of this thread.

(BTW, love 'ya Libertarian. I am really interested in your politics. Get better now!)

I am assuming that this was not sarcasm on your part. iampunha, you accused SnoopyFan of creating a Strawman, when you yourself created one. SnoopyFan said nothing of what you accused her of saying, or even alluding to.

I find it interesting that in a thread about how hostile everyone is now… there is an outpouring of support for a doper in trouble.

Health and longevity to you, Libertarian.

Hey, I’m a mongrel hybrid immigrant* New Englander (Yankee, French, German) who DOES know what culture she happens to be using at the moment – doesn’t that trump you? I’m resident on the North Shore of Massachusetts, superior** to Boston.

I agree. Sometimes folks get blindsided out of the attacker’s malice or personal agenda, or because what they’ve said in all innocence gets taken the wrong way. But my observation is that anyone who consistently draws hostile fire is doing something to invite it.

*Okay, so the Yankee goes back to DAR vintage – it’s still immigrant, if you ask the descendants of Powhaten. And the German part meandered over in the late 19th century, so there. I’m not sure when the French sidled in. :wink:

**Geographically, of course – what else did you think I meant?

Yes, because everyone knows that shortness, nearsightedness, and receding hairlines are the antithesis of confidence and politeness.:rolleyes:

I’m guessing you’re a flat-chested, big-hipped, frigid woman who is upset because she dinged her SUV due to lack of driving skill.:smiley:

This is like a bad 7th Heaven family reunion… :rolleyes:

But as to the OP, I have never taken anything said here (all boards) as anything more than sarcastic, or short-term, venting. I’m like this in real life too. :slight_smile:

Of course, I have never been the target of such flaming. :wink:

I guess I just asked for it now though…