SDMB NFL Pick 'em, Survival, and Salary Cap leagues

I’ve combined the Pick em, and Survival and Salary caps leagues this year, since we typically don’t get enough discussion to warrant seperate threads, and I suspect most people will be in multiple groups.

Last year’s pick 'em and survival and… I was going to post the survival league thread here, but I can’t find it.

Pick 'em:
In NFL Pick 'em leagues, each player predicts the outcome of every NFL game. There are three different types, and we run all three. You can join any or all of them.

Straight up: You simply pick the winner of each game, and get a point if correct.

Spread: A spread is determined for a game (like with sports betting), where one team has a certain amount of points given to them, and you have to pick the game with that adjustment taken into account.

Confidence: The most complex one, but in my view also the most fun. There are no spreads, so you pick the winner straight up. But you get a confidence value you can assign to every game, 1 through the number of games being played that weekend, and can only use each number once. So if there are 16 games that weekend, you’ll assign the confidence number 16 to the game where the outcome seems most clear to you, 15 for the next one, all the way down to 1 for the one you’re least sure of. If you pick correctly, the confidence value of your pick is added to your weekly score. If you only play one league, I suggest the confidence league.

Survival:
Each player picks one team that has to win each week. If your picked team fails to win, you’re out for the season. You can only use each team once.

There’s also a college pick’em game, but I don’t know anything about college so I’m not going to run the league. If anyone else would like to, by all means go ahead.

These leagues can hold up to 50 players each, so we’re not really at risk for filling up, and you’re competing against the whole league, not one other team per week like fantasy football, so it’s not a big deal if you end up dropping out. I’d like for everyone to play all the way through the season, but it won’t hurt anyone if you don’t, so feel free to sign up if you’re only a little interested.

Salary Cap:
The scoring works like fantasy football, but the way the game works is different.

There are not a limited number of teams because teams do not exclusively own players like in traditional fantasy football. Which means, like pick 'em and survival leagues, the more the merrier.

How it works is that based on past and projected performance, each player in the NFL is assigned a salary. When you add someone to your team, you buy them at this salary.

As their performance changes, their price can go up or down - in the event that it goes up, you can retain them at the price you originally bought them for - and if it goes down you can recover the money. You have a limited amount of cap space to work with, so if you sign Adrian Peterson, he’s going to cost enough that you’ll have to go for some cheap players at other positions.

In effect, you’re trying to get the most value of your players rather than necesarily having the best in raw production at any given position. You can find sleepers who you feel are about to break out and buy them up early for cheap, benefiting from their later better performance for the same price, or you can switch out your players every week based on who you feel has the most favorable matchup relative to their cost, or any combination of strategies.

The scoring rules and roster positions of the league are fixed, and salary updates are automatically provided weekly. There’s no head to head format, the winner is the person who scores the most overall points.

I would suggest using a name in these leagues that either includes your SDMB name or makes reference to your SDMB name so we know who everyone is.

To Join to go fantasysports.yahoo.com, go to NFL pick 'em (and/or survival) and join the following groups:

Straight up pick 'em: Group ID#: 16742
Spread pick 'em: Group ID# 16744
Confidence pick 'em: Group ID# 16745

Survival: Group ID# 6274

The salary cap sign up works a little differently - you have to create a team first (you don’t have to fill out the roster, just name/info) and then sign it up to as many groups as you’d like.

Salary cap: Group ID# 2623
Password for all leagues is cecil

I’m getting a password incorrect error on the Salary Cap group. And I ran into a maximum group before I switched to a second Yahoo ID.

Not sure why. Just double checked:

Group ID# 2623
Group Password cecil

Are you sure you’re under the salary cap section before you try to enter the league number?

Salary cap password works for me.

Joined everything except the straight-up pick 'em league. I expect to win the confidence league, have a top 5 finish in the spread league, and fall so far behind in the salary cap league that I quit updating my roster by Week 8. As for the survivor league, who the hell can predict what’s gonna happen there?

There’s a new option this year (at least I don’t remember it from before) where you can set the number of misses before you’re eliminated from the survival league. Should we consider setting that number to 2? It’s sort of against the spirit of the game, but on the other hand, most of us don’t make it past week 6 or 8, and being able to lose 1 game may keep it competitive all season long.

Yeah, I’d like it. Usually the league is done by Week 10 or 11, and what with not being able to pick the same team twice, we’d probably be finished in a double-elimination group very close to the end of the regular season.

And if it ends up being too powerful a change and a few players go into the playoffs or even last through the Super Bowl, well, who cares? More fun for everyone.

The Demon is back (Pick’em Confidence)…at least as team owner. New Team Name - Flickster’s Fumbles, which ties into my user name here

Looking forward to the season starting!

Selhurst Blues are back for the Pick 'em and Survival leagues again.

unable to get into survival league.

I’m getting an error stating that

This league is not registered in this game. (Error #272)

Not sure what that means.

I can only guess you’re entering the survvial league number into the pick 'em join page.
Edit: To those who sign up for the survival league, please note if your preference is to set it to 1 miss and you’re out or 2 misses and you’re out.

I’m in!

1 miss is fine with me, but I’ll go with the group

You know I used to be pretty good at this thing. I finished 2nd in all 3 leagues one year for pick 'em. But for some reason, as time goes on, I keep going more and more with the consensus which ends up landing me middle of the pack. I don’t know why I’ve become a prognosticating pussy, but I find myself more often telling myself “well, there’s a reason they’re the favorite…”

I’m in on confidence, survival, and salary cap…and I’m a purist–one loss and out in Survival. Otherwise it negates my name. :wink:

Joined confidence Pick’em and survival, would prefer 2 lives in survival. Didn’t join the others because of time constraints.

In all groups. 16 lives in Survivor may help me get to the mid-point of the season for once.

I’d like to clarify that if you have time constraints, the confidence league wouldn’t be your best bet. My suggestion was that if you only wanted to play 1 pick 'em league, confidence is the most involved/most fun… but also the most time consuming.

Signed up for everything except the salary cap league. We’ll see if I can match my 1, 2, 3 finishes from last year, or if that was a fluke. I vote for fluke :).

For survival, 1 or 2 wins doesn’t make much difference to me. With 2 wins, we could make “latest first loss” a tiebreaker, since it’s pretty common to end up with teams going out on the same game.

In all but the salary.Dont care how it works in the survival.

Yeah, that’s logical.

I’m leaning towards 2 lives, since no one seems to strongly object to it and it’ll make the league more interesting to more people for longer. We usually lose a significant fraction of the league very early on.

Sweet. I’m in for Survivor and No-spread Pick 'em