SDMB Pick 'em and Survival Leagues 2016

Last year’s thread.

I’m late with this thread. For some reason I thought I had created it about a month ago, but I only renewed the various leagues then, no thread. Everyone would’ve received an invitation when I renewed the leagues if you participated last year on whatever address they do yahoo fantasy stuff.

This is pretty straightforward, so I’m basically just going to copy the OP of last year’s thread.

Everyone is invited to play - it’s not like fantasy football where you have head to head matchups every week, everyone plays against the whole league, so if you end up dropping out mid-season it’s not a big deal. So try anything you want.

Pick 'em:
In NFL Pick 'em leagues, each player predicts the outcome of every NFL game. There are three different types, and we run all three. You can join any or all of them.

Straight up: You simply pick the winner of each game, and get a point if correct.

Spread: A spread is determined for a game (like with sports betting), where one team has a certain amount of points given to them, and you have to pick the game with that adjustment taken into account.

Confidence: The most complex one, but in my view also the most fun. There are no spreads, so you pick the winner straight up. But you get a confidence value you can assign to every game, 1 through the number of games being played that weekend, and can only use each number once. So if there are 16 games that weekend, you’ll assign the confidence number 16 to the game where the outcome seems most clear to you, 15 for the next one, all the way down to 1 for the one you’re least sure of. If you pick correctly, the confidence value of your pick is added to your weekly score. If you only play one league, I suggest the confidence league.

Survival:
Each player picks one team that has to win each week. If your picked team fails to win, you get a strike. You can only use each team once. Three strikes and you’re out.

These leagues can hold up to 50 players each, so we’re not really at risk for filling up, and you’re competing against the whole league, not one other team per week like fantasy football, so it’s not a big deal if you end up dropping out. I’d like for everyone to play all the way through the season, but it won’t hurt anyone if you don’t, so feel free to sign up if you’re only a little interested. The more the merrier.
Pick 'em sign up
Survival sign up

Password for all leagues is cecil. League numbers are:

Pick em: 4162
Spread Pick em: 4163
Confidence Pick 'em: 4164

Survival: 5520

I’m in for Survival and Confidence Pick’em.

If you don’t mind a piggy back, I’ve renewed the College Pickem League. I hope I set the scoring right–no point spread, confidence points. Picking Yahoo Default, Top 25, and SEC games this year. The league ID# is 4176 and the password is cecil.

Did you guys receive an e-mail from yahoo when I recreated the leagues sometime in June or July? There are only a few people signed up for each league, we usually have significantly more. I was wondering if it was because yahoo didn’t send out the invites.

I got the notifications.

I did, but I didn’t sign up right away and then deleted most (but not all) of the emails. So I was waiting for you to start this thread to get the rest of the group numbers.

Huh. I wonder why all the leagues are so small this year. Looks like about half as many people returning as last year so far. Maybe people will start paying attention to the football stuff once we’re almost towards the season.

Not sure if football interest around the SDMB is down, or just participation in the board in general.

Thanks Beef
I’m in for Confidence & Survival
Flickster
Green & Gold TX Edition

Joined for Confidence & Survival.

A few more contestants would add to the fun.

Get your picks in for the Thursday night game. You don’t have to do them all at once - you can do the Thursday games now and wait until later for the rest.

Survival may be different - you may need to pick before the Thursday game even if the game is later in the week, but I can’t remember for sure. I think you can pick up until the start time of that game.

Finally getting my shit together on the football-pools-I’m-not-running front (better late than never).

In for Pick 'Em and Survival.

Get those picks in.

Woo hoo! I’m still alive in survival, but dead last in pick-em. To me the biggest surprises were how close Miami came to beating Seattle at Seattle, and how close San Diego came to beating Kansas City.

Thank you Kansas City for saving my survival pick with that great comeback :smiley:

Don’t forget to get your Thursday picks in. Thursday games all year.

grumble mumble grumble gripe

Stupid Bills. :smiley:

Well the one nice thing about the Browns losing the #1 overall pick is that the people who kept picking against the Browns all year in survival finally had it backfire. After a 5 week period of no strikes (except one person who forgot to pick), we had 6 strikes from people picking San Diego.

Jahiegel and Oakminster were both perfect through week 15 which is impressive, but both fell to the Browns today. So close to a perfect season.

I picked the Chargers and I knew it was stupid while I was doing it :). Not many great alternatives for me at least.

The pick 'em and survival leagues still run through the playoffs, so get your picks in.

Congrats to Jahiegel for winning the Survivor league. It appears some fellow named BigDadWolf won the Confidence league. Congrats to him too.

All kidding aside I enjoyed playing in both leagues and appreciate SenorBeef for setting them up.

Muchas Gracias SenorBeef!

I made the 2017 thread.