SDMB Self Esteem

TroubleAgain and Scotticher for being so nice to me on the boards. You’ve both paid me great compliments, both in words and in being as friendly to me as you have been.

AudreyK, Brunetter, and Medea’s Child for being very nice to me, and for listening. For being there for me when I thought I had nobody to turn to. I could never explain enough how much it meant to me.
And also, thanks for your friendship in general. Being friends with you three wonderful people is something I treasure.

To Scotticher, for actually noticing my existence (that always surprises me). :slight_smile:

To Spider Woman, who cared enough to wonder why I wasn’t around. :slight_smile:

To purplebear, just because. :slight_smile:

And to baglady, for being so good in the sack. :smiley:

<<<Runs like hell>>>

One word:

eggo.

Don’t get me started about the rest of you.

with a big thanks to all the Dopers who have had the gumption to stand and say “Hey, I agree with Stoid” without feeling the need to apologize for it.

Even more, I thank those many who spoke up when I was being “witch-hunted”, as xenophon called it, to speak on my behalf . (Although i don’t think xeno made such an awkward construction out of it.)

And of course, the many who have disagreed with me WITHOUT vilifying me. Your restraint is noted and appreciated. It is really all I’ve ever asked.

stoid

[sup]I gotta throw in there . . .[/sup]

First, I gotta nominate a few people:

Falcon for showing me that maybe, just maybe, I am not as “expendable” as I think I am, and maybe, just maybe I am sorta good looking. (She knows what I mean)

Hamadryad, Nacho4Sara, and SwimmingRiddles for giving me a little boost that kicked my confidence into higher gear, giving me a leg up in the “proactive” department.

And a few others:

All the NYC 2001 Dopefesters including Billdo, Biggirl, Houseman, OpalCat, lurkernomore, Vix, and THespos for showing me a great time in the face of anticipated difficulty. I had no idea I could have such a great time with a bunch of literal strangers. Thank you!

In all honesty, this past NYC Dopefest helped, in ways ya didn’t know. I was having a rough time, that I didn’t share 'cause it wasn’t anyone’s concern but my own, but y’all really lifted my spirits a lot. It was like a 2 week early birthday party, and I considered it such. Thank you, all of you.

Tripler
I’m over the bad and onto the good, thanks to you!

First, and most importantly:

Who’s my widdow poopsie-woopsie noo noo? obfusciatrist is! Yes he is! Yes he is!

Now then.

Nacho knows how cool I think she is. It says so in her sig.
Falcon. Need I say more?
Sax Face is no woman; she is a force of nature.
magdalene kicks my ass every single day with her posts. In a good way.
Democritus and psycat are two of the coolest people ever. Ever.
Veb’s got some diction that won’t quit, as well as being keen as hell.
SwimmingRiddles is my damn hero.
Even if I rarely show up in GD, DrFidelius is the reason I post to this board.
All the NYC-area dopers are the shit, if you must know.

Also, I believe that my childhood would have been perfect had I been raised by Ukulele Ike and Eve, in the roles of George and Martha from Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I have a different idea of “perfect” from other little boys.

Aenea, for being the first to welcome me,
Odieman, for adopting me and not tormenting me :smiley:
homer, for the Secret Santa list,
evilbeth, for being someone I could send that sort of present to,
Medea’s Child, for the way cool presents (Sherman agrees, and says hi),
Manhattan, for bidding me go forth and slay ignorance - yeah, I’m still working on the transAtlantic trade through the Arctic angle, I just haven’t had time to go pester the anthropologists for the latest authoritative info yet.
Maeglin, for some of the most fun I’ve had in ages, even if I am gonna have to dig out my Western Civ notes - I hope I still have them…
Danielinthewolvesden, yep, you too. Your last post in that Pit thread was amazing. Especially since you’d been having a kinda rough time on the boards lately. :slight_smile: You ability to go with a gotcha after that really impressed me.

Fenris, Jack Batty, Anthracite, matt_mcl, Esprix, and Colibri for just being yourselves. Yeah, well, OK, my fingers are getting tired. Otherwise my list would be longer.

And all the rest of you for being mostly cool, even if I don’t happen to agree with you on the topic of the moment. Except for those shortlived annoying twits…them we could do without.

I do not understand how so many can possibly have self esteem problems. The average IQ of this board has to be WAY up there, and the wit & general knowledge is unbeleivable. That only applies to the male posters- as the ladies are nearly all smart, witty AND lovely.

I want to thank IzzyR for being on my side so much in the last few threads- especially down there in the PIT- where it really makes me feel good. I have made my share of mistakes- but some of these personal attacks hurt my feelings. And everyone else- who even if they do not agree with me- at least feel that these personal attacks are unfounded.

I want to thank all the Staff for doing such a great job.

I want to thank purplebear & Scotti for flirting so outragously with me- and for the other ladies who have not been so outragous.

I want to thank zev- and the rest of our Talmudic experts- for dispensing their wisdom, and putting up with my silly questions. Thanks- "reb"s!

And Polycarp for being the voice of reason so many times.

And, finally- EVERYONE here for making this into a community, rather than “just another message baord”.

Thank you,
AudreyK for welcoming me, and for being so warm and kind to everyone;
Zenster for welcoming me, and for knowing a great deal about food;
manhattan for his encouraging words in reply to my email, and for appearing in a recent dream as a Tibetan ice-skater;
matt_mcl for being so damn interesting;
Anthracite for depth of research and knowledge;
Polycarp for his wisdom;
Jodi for her fairness;
SPOOFE Bo Diddly for being daft;
Alphagene, who is mighty cool;

and everyone else.

Most of you are more intelligent and wise than I am. I’ve learned a lot from reading here - especially from reading posts by very intelligent people whose opinions I don’t share. It does me good to be a small fish in a big pond.

Normally I do not post to these things, but…

I canNOT believe you have PUBLICLY outed me as having sung a Britney Spears song. Let alone, aloud. And in PUBLIC. This is unconscionable. You’ll be hearing from my lawyer.

But as long as we’re doing this crap, I’d like to publicly second (and third, and fourth; yea, unto infinity) any and all thanks to Billdo for being a courteous, thoughtful, considerate, fantastic, amazing, wonderful host. Can’t thank you enough, though I’m willing to try.

(Hammy knew the Britney dance, too. Well, she did after I taught it to her. I bet she’s doing it right now. :D)

Just picture all the black-clad socialites in fur with little midget doggies in designer sweaters walking by us. They were horrified. It was brilliant!

Hey, thanks tisiphone, you’re ok in my book.

My little cool list goes like this:

Wildest Bill believe it or not. For someone who I disagree with on virtually everything, at least he’s always himself, ususally polite and seemingly willing to listen to others.
Crunchy Frog - the fucker cracks me up.
Bottle O’ Smoke - my fellow Playstation addict.
Zoggie - my own personal stalker.

And it goes without saying, but I’m saying it anyway, all my fellow B.A.D.'s - I’m totally appreciative of the good friends I’ve made out here all because of one little message board.

Ssskuggii – Yer the Shit! I can talk to you about anything, and vice-versa. Never change!!

N4S; You are so fun to talk to, and you are so truthful about everything. but for the Love of GOD! get on AIM, I’m getting Nacho’s Withdrawal!

EVERYONE that frequents #Straightdope (which is in no way affiliated with the Chicago Reader or the SDMB)

and everyone I talk to on AIM or ICQ

LeSang, for his love of knives,

Homer, for being a lot like me and having FUNNY posts

JackBatty, for being so Wity and funny (and being an attention whore)

SCYLLA, for the “How to kill Evil Nazi Groundhog” thread, that started this 8 month addiction :slight_smile:

ssskuggiii: Without a doubt, one of the most interesting people I’ve ever talked to. I admire her strength and her honesty.
Ad Noctum: One of the coolest ‘Yankees’ I’ve ever known! I love him like an Italian third cousin!
iampunha: Sweet guy. Quite amusing and easy to talk to. He’s helped me out a great deal.
Yue Han: Again, another interesting person. I haven’t talked to him in awhile, though.
Osip: Wonderful fellow Alabamian. I can’t wait to meet him in March.
Dire Wolf: Another great Alabamian. I WISH I could meet him on the tenth.
Arden Ranger & Mauvaise: Two very entertaining women!
Upham: My Canadian darling. I absolutely love talking to him.
Totoro: My valentine. Last but definitely not least. A damned fine writer, IMO.

Every month I choose a favorite poster and honor them in my profile.
My favorite for January is DSYoungESQ.
My past favorites include pepperlandgirl , Gadarene , WallyM7 , Kimstu, MysterEcks , Anti Pro , Spiritus Mundi , and RTFirefly.

And I have never forgoten that Weirddave encouraged me when I was a complete newbie who had no idea what the Straight Dope was about.
Thanks Dave.

NotTheMama was a great poster too, no matter what DDG thinks.

Hi! I’m a Weenie
What’s your sign?

Here goes:

Jack Batty- for listing me and letting me be his own personal stalker.
Crunchy- For saying the only thing that separates us is about two years (till I turn eighteen). And for forgiving me after the Crispy Toad incident.
Gunslinger- For making me Maid of Honour his virtual wedding, posting at my threads when I’m afraid no one else will, and general other stuff.
Racinchikki- For not being jealous of all the sexy things I said to Gun. :slight_smile:
Ad Noctum- For being a cool little dude. And making me grateful I don’t go to Boston Public. Or his school for that matter. (Thanks for listing me, Adam!)
Silverfire- Because she put me in her sig line. And is so fun to talk to.
Satan- For being really sweet and funny when I talked to him on IMs. (Admittedly, it was for like four minutes, but I’m an excellent judge of character.)
Jester- For being cool, making threads with me, all our cool talks, and our fun time making that “thread” at the Fish Place.

I’m going to say GaWd because, Uhhh… He’s nice. And stuff. I miss him.

There are so many people on this board that I admired all those months I was lurking about. Too many to go on a list. So, just off the top of my head:

scylla, Crunchy Frog, Fenris, Esprix, Euty crack me up almost every time. Nothing better than funny and intelligent.

**Anthracite ** Thanks for making me welcome and adopting me. I am in no little awe of your intelligence and wit.

Nocturne and MauvaiseThanks both of you for being great fun and making it easy to just dive right in. So to speak :wink:

iampunhaThanks for being such a sweetie.

Dire Wolf You can’t possibly know how much it meant for you to just let me vent when I was so depressed a few weeks ago. Thank you. For that, and umm… well, you know :wink:

I just realized I posted a list of people who have been nice and sweet to me without listing posters whose post I like to read just because.

BTW - thanks Jack, Zoggie, and Arden Ranger. I was feeling unappreciated for a while there. :wink:

Jack Batty - not just cuz you named me, but cuz you’re fun to trade barbs back and forth with. And also anyone who is generally thought of as a bigger attention whore than I is always welcome just so I look better by comparison.

Zenster - ever since that Warner Bros thread you started a while ago. Plus the smiley art was cool too.

pldennison - we’ve disagreed on a number of things in the past, but we always seem to have a mutual understanding at the end of it and I’ve learned a thing or two from him too.

Silver Fire - regardless of how often I say she’s cool and one of my favorite posters, she refuses to believe it. She’s either ultra-humble or needs some therapy. :wink:

Nymysys - talk about being fun to trade barbs with! Not only are you as fun to tease (and tease back) as Mr. Batty, but you’re also a Grade-A hottie.

wyldelf - just plain cute, sweet and fun to chat with (or email, which is what we usually do). I have GOT to get my ass to chat one of these days.

I’ll stop now before I list everyone on the boards.