SDMB Steam user community

Count me in on total war mp.

I haven’t been organizing new games lately because I’ve been sick and sleeping irratically. But I’m going to see how many people we can get going in an SDMB TF2 game tonight. We’ve had more people playing tf2 lately, and we’ve got 60+ people with the game, so I figured I’d try to see if we could get enough people together for a decent game.

If you don’t have the game installed now, you probably won’t be able to get it done in time, but we’ll probably try again this weekend so go ahead and grab it.

But I’m going to start the game tonight at 8pm ET/5 PT. I’m not sure of the server arrangement yet - I don’t have access to a dedicated server, although I have a sufficient computer/internet connection and could do my own if necesary. Or we could find an empty public server with decent rules and join it together. Anyway, I’ll send out invites later. If you are in the SDMB group but not on my friends list yet and interested in playing, send me a message (or just look where the other people in the group are playing and join it)

I just joined. Jack Q Batty

I suck at online games though. As proof I give you Battlefield 2: Bad Company that I just picked up the day after Christmas. I’ve played it for a little while and I don’t think I killed anyone yet.

My Steam Games:

[ul]
[li]Battlefield 2: Bad Company[/li][li]Company of Heroes[/li][LIST]
[li]Opposing Fronts[/li][li]Tales of Valor[/li][/ul]
[li]Empire: Total War[/li][li]MLB 2K10[/li][li]NBA 2K10[/li][li]Portal[/li][li]Saints Row 2[/li][li]Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific[/li][/LIST]

I forgot to add that if you don’t have TF2, it’s on sale for 50% off now ($10) but you might want to wait until the end of the daily ssales, there’s a chance it might be $5 in the next few days.

I picked up Titan Quest when it went on sale; I’d probably be up for a multiplayer game some time, but I have no idea when.

Or get it as part of the Orange Box for $15, or part of the Valve Complete Pack for $50.

Oh, yeah, orange box is a no brainer if you don’t have a few of those games.

Is the TF2 event still on for tonight? If so, what server is it?

Yeah, we ran the game for a few hours. I wasn’t checking the boards or I’d have told you. I created a server called “SDMB TF2” - but more easily, you could’ve just looked at any of the people in the SDMB group who had TF2 open, right clicked then, and clicked join game. Or find me and send me a message.

Anyway, it went well, we had about 15 people in and out, with 12 at one time, which is enough to have a viable game. I’m probably going to try to set something up for Saturday afternoon, giving people some more notice in case they need to reinstall the game or anything.

Team Fortress? On a Saturday? I’m in!

I’m going to finally get off my butt and join up to the group, though I’m not sure that my game list (extensive as it is) will overlap much with what you play. I have been on Steam a ton more lately, though, and I am easily convinced to try new things when they are <$5. So hopefully I’ll be able to get into a game at some point!

I went ahead and scheduled a game of TF2 for 5pm ET/2pm PT on Saturday. Not sure if the holiday will help or hurt our numbers. The server will be called “SDMB TF2” but the easiest way to join is just to right click someone in the group who’s in the game and click “join game”.

Since Steam is getting hammered by people downloading their new games, if you need to reinstall TF2, start it now.

TF2 is on sale today for $5. If you don’t have it already, there’s no better time to get it than now.

I’d buy it, but I hate being the newbie.

It’s pretty easy to be useful in tf2 as you’re learning. You can run around as a medic healing your team while getting used to the maps and how the game works. It’s a pretty simple game anyway.

Today’s dailies:

Fry Cry 2: Fortune’s edition $5 (75%)
Theater of War games 75% off - complete pack $11.25
Team Fortress 2 $5 (75%)
Star Wars Jedi Knight collection (5 games) $5 (75%)
Dawn of Discovery $15 (50%)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle (original, call of pripyat) $5
Empire & Napoleon Total War GOTY edition (all games + DLC) $25 (50%)
Hitman Collection (3 games) $7.50 (75%)
Flight Control HD $1.60 (66%)
Supreme Commander 2 $3.75 (75%)
Command and Conquer games 75% off (4 games)
Guardians of Graxia $2.50 (75%)
and indie: Madballs in babo, $2.50 (75%)

Woops, forgot to check for the bonus discount deal again. If you own Rome or Medieval 2 Total War, you get the Empire/Napoleon pack for $20.

So grab TF2 if you don’t have it. It’s not great but it’s fun, cheap, fairly casual friendly, and a lot of us have it.

The STALKER games are fun, definitely worth $5 there.

If you don’t have Empire or Napoleon (or maybe even just one of the games without any dlc) that’s a good price on a package deal. You get everything for both games in that. I also found out you can do 1v1 all the way through 4v4 multiplayer in those games, so we can get some SDMB gmes going.

I’ll probably pick up the Hitman games at $2.50/piece.

I have no idea if C&C games are good nowdays, haven’t played them for about 10 years. Are any of those games worth it?

If you’re going to try a C&C game, 3 is the best, and Red Alert is pretty decent too. Under no circumstances should you go anywhere near 4. Not sure that I’d get any of them though unless I was particularly into that kind of thing; life’s too short to be playing old RTS games when there have been so many good ones over the last year or two.

I just may grab TF2 and do that medic thing.

… as it relates to gaming, but it sounds like y’all are having a great time with it.

So in honor of that, let me send you one of my favorite songs by a “one-hit wonder” group:

:wink:

Quasi

Woops, I meant to post the daily deals in the steam sale thread, not the user community thead.

To update this, it looks like our group may have just crossed the threshold of being too big to display within the friends list. Which means you have to click “view group” and do it through the web interface instead. In this case, just click someone playing the game, and then click “send message” - that will open up the dialog window, which you can then right click and do “join game”

If you have a hard time with any of that, just send me a message or add me as a friend - either way I’ll make sure you find your way in.