Sears, you ratfuckers!

You won’t necessarily pay more.

We went shopping for a new fridge. We saw one we liked at Sears, and the salesman put us through this whole rigamarole with negotiating the pricing–special discount, sign up for a Sears card, only if you buy today, I’m such a nice guy I’ll throw in delivery and haul-away for free, blah blah blah. And then he told us that he had no idea when it would be delivered. It could have been days or weeks or even months! So we left.

Then somebody told us about a local place. We went in and told the guy what fridge we liked. He looked it up in a book, and quoted a price that was exactly the same as the one the Sears guy gave us! And we could have it in 2-3 days. No bullshit involved. And of course, the installation went well. We’ve bought from there ever since.

Sometimes, we’ll go browse around at the big appliance stores to get an idea of what we might want because the local place doesn’t have a lot on display in it’s showroom. So we know what kinds of prices are out there, and our local place is always competitive price-wise. And a pleasure to deal with.

I went in with a discount price on a Sears fridge from on-line, to make sure they would match it in-store. I picked it out and all and then they said I could get free delivery only on purchases $399 and above, and the delivery discount would bring the $399 model in line with the discount one plus delivery. I think he did also sign me up for a card, but that’s the only thing I ever put on it.

Worked out fine, but he OTOH was able to predict a delivery date!

Well, the installer came by yesterday having no intention of installing then, looked around under the house, and scheduled me for today after everybody else. Luckily, my mom can be there. I’m a little irritated that he didn’t make it clear I wouldn’t have my new stove yesterday, but he seemed competent and had called Sears to confirm this “no charge to me” thing, at least. We’ll see. He’s supposed to call Mom when he’s getting close to coming over.

So, they made a mistake, then corrected it, and that justifies your blatent theft? Hmm, my neighbor has been bothering me lately by doing yardwork early in the morning, I think I’ll go steal his lawnmower. Who cares that he apologized and told me he was sorry and wouldn’t mow before 10 anymore, it’s justified because he woke me up! Don’t kid yourself, you’re a thief.

Sorry, guys, didn’t post last night because I was still in a post-dinner haze - I have a stove and it is fabulous! I think I’m really gonna like gas. It’s a little scary, but I loooove that simmer burner. Made a new beef curry thing that turned out really well. And the best part is, they came, it took them half an hour, and they didn’t charge me a thing. (I did have them call Sears before they came to confirm all this.) So the end result is, Sears is a real shitbag until you get really mad at them.

And yeah, it’s a really shitty thing to do, taking a double charge. Aren’t you even a little embarassed to admit it?

:: sniff sniff ::

Do you smell gas?

No, I guess not, but something just as unpleasant… :rolleyes:

As much as I disagree with Weirddave about gosh near everything, he is spot on here. If you were as diligent about correcting the mistake in your favor and they were deaf to your logic, I’d see your point. But, as I see it you deliberately did what they did by accident.

Your love affair with gas will only get more intense. She is a fantastic mistress, if not a little harder to clean up after :slight_smile:

So, you may have an automatic hot-dog cooker from Skymall Magazine? Is it the one shaped like a toaster? Because if it is, I’ll get one and connect it to my gas line myself!

Unless I’m misunderstanding something.

-Cem

No, I’m happy to say it’s the gas stove I ordered. I was concerned that I might come home to the hot dog cooker, considering my customer service track record with Sears. I made sure my mom knew the correct model number to check when they came to install.

Had them drag my old stove to the curb - it lasted about three hours. Ghetto charity!