SEC Geography Quiz

Without looking at a reference book, without looking at other responses, name the city/town where these Southeastern Conference schools are located:

1. University of Alabama
  2. University of Arkansas
  3. Auburn University
  4. University of Florida
  5. University of Georgia
  6. University of Kentucky
  7. Louisiana State University
  8. University of Mississippi (Ole Miss)
  9. Mississippi State University
  10. University of South Carolina
  11. University of Tennessee
  12. Vanderbilt University
  1. University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
  2. University of Arkansas - Fayetteville
  3. Auburn University - Auburn
  4. University of Florida - Gainesville
  5. University of Georgia - Athens
  6. University of Kentucky - Lexington
  7. Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge
  8. University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) - Oxford
  9. Mississippi State University - Hattiesburg
  10. University of South Carolina - Columbia
  11. University of Tennessee - Knoxville
  12. Vanderbilt University - Nashville

What do I win?

My admiration for getting all but one right. Miss State isn’t in Hattiesburg.

Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Auburn, Gainesville, Athens, LEX VEGAS, BABY!, Baton Rouge, Oxford, Starkville, Columbia, Knoxville, Nashville.

(My location is the eRUPPtion Zone. I should know all these.)

You done good, Bubba! First one with the right answers.

Ugh, I went to South Carolina but since I was a diver and Ole Miss, Miss St and Arkansas don’t have teams, I couldn’t remember them. Neither does Vanderbilt, I just knew that one.

Not to worry. If this were any other conference, or if I hadn’t just looked these up a month or so ago, I wouldn’t get better than 50% on such a quiz. I still miss a fair number of state capitals, and I used to be able to name them as fast as the alphabet.

1. University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
  2. University of Arkansas - Little Rock?
  3. Auburn University - Auburn? Alabama
  4. University of Florida - Gainesville
  5. University of Georgia - Athens
  6. University of Kentucky - Lexington
  7. Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge
  8. University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) - Faulkner’s hometown
  9. Mississippi State University - Biloxi?
  10. University of South Carolina - Columbia
  11. University of Tennessee - Knoxville
  12. Vanderbilt University - Nashville, Tenn?

Nice shot. Little Rock and Biloxi are wrong, but I do believe you’re right on Ole Miss. The others are good. Thanks for playing.

How’d I do?

Looks like I got three wrong. Not too shabby for someone from the land of the sleet & snow. The Arkansas Brain Fart didn’t help any.

I think you need to look again.

Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Auburn, Gainesville (home of the basketball national champs), Athens, Lexington, Baton Rouge, Oxford, Starkville, Columbia, Knoxville, Nashville.

That was easy, I’ve been to most of those places. Sadly, I could probably do that for most of the other confernences too. I watch a lot of college sports.

My hat is off to you! As I said earlier, I doubt if there is another conference where I could get 10% correct. As far as that goes, I doubt I could even name all the teams in the other conferences. As for watching games, if it’s not an SEC team it had better be some major event that affects the outcome of the SEC’s chances.

1. University of Alabama: Tuscaloosa
  2. University of Arkansas: Fayetteville
  3. Auburn University: Auburn
  4. University of Florida: Tallahassee
  5. University of Georgia: Athens
  6. University of Kentucky: Frankfort
  7. Louisiana State University: Baton Rouge
  8. University of Mississippi (Ole Miss): Oxford
  9. Mississippi State University:
  10. University of South Carolina: Columbia
  11. University of Tennessee: Knoxville
  12. Vanderbilt University: Nashville

Sigh. Not only do I NOT get to show off some sports knowledge (though I would have missed two schools), but now I’m all depressed about the sports scene. I hate summer. The fact that I have to wait for Labor Day for something that really moves me makes me sad…and let’s not even get into the wait for the best college sport. :wink: :slight_smile:

Damnit! :smack: I knew that! I got Southern Miss tangled up with Miss State…

My sympathies are completely with you. Especially after watching (out of pure curiosity) the final OT periods in the World Cup. To see so many people getting so excited around the world over that event, and to know how truly exciting American football is to me, it makes me so impatient I can hardly bear it. (I assume your best sport is other than football, but that’s beside the point that summer is not a time not to be a baseball fan. And about all the baseball I can handle is an occasional World Series.)

I bet there are many Mississippians who would like those schools to swap SEC places. There are those who would rather see Memphis or MTSU in the SEC than Vandy, too.

Not too long ago some fun rumors were going around to put Tulane and Louisville in the SEC, bringing it to 14. Reorganizing the divisions to move Auburn and Alabama to the Eastern division would just about kill the SEC, in my estimation. There are even rumors that include bringing at least one Texas team into the SEC. That’s a serious stretch for my money.