Seeking input about the "best song by letter" polls

See this thread for reference.

I’ve decided to limit the final poll for each letter to the top ten vote-getting songs (a little more or less if there is a tie).

Given that, how many votes should I allow in the final poll to determine the best of that ten?

• 1 of 10
  • 2 of 10
  • 3 of 10
  • 4 of 10
  • 5 of 10
  • More than 5 of 10
0 voters

How long should I leave the polls open for voting?

• 1 day
  • 2 days
  • 3 days
  • 4 days
  • 5 days
  • 6 days
  • 7 days
  • More than 7 days
  • Do not close the polls
0 voters

mmm

Input of a different type: maybe have a poll of “Best song that has sound effects”?

I’m just wondering why thread games are in Cafe Society and not in Thread Games.

I wish they had been done in alphabetical order since I could thus prepare beforehand for my noms.

I just realized that it’s a shame that the Discourse polls function doesn’t support the model where you have 10 (or some number greater than 1) votes, and can distribute them across the candidates in multiple or single votes per candidate. (so, if you are particularly passionate about one or two songs, you can put all 10 votes on those candidates).

It would make for some interesting results.

They’re not thread games.
You can add them all to your ignore list using the mmm-song-poll tag.

You can still do that.

I know how you add a user to your ignore list, but how do you ignore a tag?

click on the tag in any thread

the thread list of tagged threads will appear

somewhere on the page is the little bell icon (mine is in the upper right)

Click on the bell and set all the threads to muted

I see: muted, not ignored.

And can we expect a new series of polls on the best songs that feature a particular letter in their titles multiple times?

They have rules on how to “play” them (explicitly stated in the OP of each thread). They are the very definition of thread games.

But…

That is a fantastic tip, thank you.

I have the Thread Games category muted and suddenly there are thread games all over one of my favorite categories. But the tag helps, so I guess it’s not an issue for me, personally.

The threads should be stickied until they’re concluded, and the next letter shouldn’t begin until then. Just mho.

I dunno. I kind of like the breakneck pace. A random letter poll pops up and you need to scramble to come up with a list of at least a dozen favorite songs, because sure as shootin’ some of them are going to be taken by the time you get to listing them.

FYI - The mods will now add “POLL ADDED” or “FINAL POLL ADDED” to the thread titles once polls are up.

MMM

How long should you leave nominations open?

You forgot to ask that. Three days would be good for that.

Seems there should be at least as much time to propose what we’re voting on, as you give us to vote on it.

No, I did not forget.

Nominations stay open until submissions start winding down, then polls go up.

mmm

Whatever that means. All I can say is, nominations “wind down” awfully fast. Just speaking for myself, half the time, they’ve “wound down” before I see the thread, even if it’s been less than two days since I checked the forum.

Or you could just give a list in advance of which letters will have their threads open on which days.

Not sure why one rule applies to nominations, and another rule applies to voting. Does voting not ‘wind down’?

As a Cafe Society Mod and the only Thread Games mod I decided the music part outweighed the Thread Game part and left them here but added the tag at someone’s suggestion.

No way will that happen. As it is MMM knows not to have too many cluttering up Cafe Society at a time. Making something borderline Cafe stickied is a silly waste of time for the Mods and probably annoying to more posters than would find it helpful. We don’t sticky much.

Thanks for the tags. With tags they might as well be their own category, :smiley:

No, they are suggestions by your fellow SDMBers as to songs and tunes they like that maybe you will also.

This is a fantastic and fun idea. I am finding new music, even.