Senate races 2026

Mark Sanford is going to hike the Appalachian Trail again. Oh, wait a minute, he’s going to run for Senate in South Carolina. Then he’ll go hiking when he loses.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2026/07/23/congress/mark-sanford-senate-bid-south-carolina-01009841

Here is a critical item from that cite-

He is the latest high-profile entrant in a crowded field that includes Sen. Darline Graham, the sister of the late senator; Reps. Russell Fry and Ralph Norman; and businessman Mark Lynch, among others. Trump has already endorsed Graham, who was appointed to fill her brother’s seat for the duration of his term.

In other words, Republicans are kinda ignoring trumps personal pick, and throwing their hat in the ring despite it.

Norman is the dangerous one- he is pushing the “SAVE” act hard.

I wouldn’t be too worried about that. The winner of the election won’t be taking office until the next Congress and I fully expect that, at minimum, the Ds will take control of the HoR in the next Congress. At which point, the SAVE Act is dead, even though some version of it has passed the HoR in this Congress. A new Congress starts with a fresh slate and any bills passed by only one House of the previous Congress are tossed.

Possible, but not a certainty and the Senate is not passing that Act today, but as you say- the House is.

AIUI, the House passed it as part of a reconciliation bill. A reconciliation bill can be passed with a simple majority by the Senate, but first has to survive a Byrd Bath. My understanding is that the SAVE Act will not survive that, so would have to be removed before the bill can pass.

Abdul El-Sayed says AIPAC funded poll, but doesn’t provide evidence

If your time is short

  • The Democratic polling firm Tavern Research said it funded a poll that found U.S. Rep Haley Stevens, D-Mich., slightly ahead of her Senate primary competitor, Abdul El-Sayed.
  • Tavern Research said it did not involve AIPAC in the poll.

I prefer U.S. Rep. Haley Stevens.

With Maine decided, I think Michigan is now the premiere “left/DSA vs establishment Dems” primary remaining. But I don’t think that’s the most significant axis or difference – I think it’s more “fight hard” vs caution. I favor El Sayed on the issues a bit, but as much as that or even more, El Sayed’s rhetoric recognizes the national emergency we’re in, with fascism and open corruption closing in on so many issues. He recognizes ICE is now an agency of fascist MAGA enforcers, not anything remotely about protecting safety or enforcing the law. Stevens won’t even say she’d vote to abolish ICE! That’s about as close to a layup in Democratic politics as there is – Democrats overwhelmingly favor abolishing ICE, and a national plurality does as well (according to polling).

There’s no reason “centrist” or “establishment” Democrats can’t be as all-in on fighting fascism as left/DSA Dems, except for inertia and (maybe) money. So far, ISTM that the “fight”-forward candidates are almost all on the left/DSA side of the party.

Who would do their job? The INS was founded in 1933. Abolishing it is foolish, and therefore El Sayed is wrong. Now, yes, the new Democratic president in 2028 (well, early 2029 to be exact) will fire all the top men at ICE. Then a bunch of the new Agents will be transferred out to Border Patrol or whatever. These weird bigoted raids will end, and ICE (and I know they will get a new name, of course, so people can say they were “abolished”) will go back to what they are supposed to be doing- getting rid of Felons who are not Citizens by kicking them out. I think most American will agree on that.

As Iago said “Oh, there’s a big surprise! That’s an incredib… I think I’m gonna have a heart attack and die from that surprise!”*

You keep using that word- “fascism”. I do not think it means what you think it means. There are no “fascists” in current office. What we have is Right Wing Populists.

Well, who’s doing their job now? Not them: They’re wasting their time brutalizing the populace.

But if we grant that there should be someone enforcing the immigrations and customs laws, then we need to create a new agency for that. Because ICE is, at this point, too corrupted to be salvageable. We need to scrap it entirely and start completely fresh, with none of the current ICE still in place.

Last I checked, Trump is still there.

You know- trump tried to fire Civil Service employees, and it didnt work out well for him, now he is trying to make 8000 of them “at will”. Do we wanna be like trump? Fire the bosses, transfer the new employees out- the ones hired in that recent mass hire. I mean, plenty of INS agents were hired during the Obama and Biden terms. And sure, like i said- rename it.

Any that were worth keeping have already quit. Any still in are the ones who are in for the wrong reasons, and need to be gotten rid of.

ICE wasn’t.

Basically a name change, and some re-org

It absorbed the prior functions of the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the United States Customs Service.

The job people are complaining about was done by the INS.

In a significantly different fashion. And to a large extent by different people. To the point at which I’m inclined to say that it’s not the same job.

ETA: not really the same job that they were doing in 2002, either.

All the Agents, etc kept a their jobs, being Civil Servants. Different titles and departments in some cases. The Appointees- not so much. And yeah, the basic job of an INS agent was the same as a ICE agent - until recently, I will concede.

Maybe we should start a new thread on this?

According to polling, nearly all Democratic voters want to abolish ICE. Barring a huge reversal of opinion (what could possibly change that? ICE is not going to suddenly act like a decent agency under Trump), it’s going to be a party plank by '28, and the presidential nominee will almost certainly advocate for it.

I think issues like this will carry El Sayed to a comfortable win in the primary.

That’s 2/3 of the way to being a fascist. The only thing missing is the authoritarian part. Maybe back in the day the word meant something different, but these days fascist means a right wing populist authoritarian.

“Early” fascism is still fascism. Fascism doesn’t require death camps. The time to fight fascism is before the camps and kangaroo courts and fake elections and genocide.

Well, that’s not all of fascism. There’s also blaming all of society’s ills on minorities, and harkening back to possibly-mythical glory days of yore.

Yup, Trump is definitely a fascist. He’s not exactly like Hitler and Mussolini, but then, Hitler and Mussolini weren’t exactly like each other, either.

At least half, maybe 2/3, sure. I did call “you know who” a fascist wannabe once.