Senate races 2026

I voted for Abdul.

I feel really stupid about this, but I didn’t realize the importance of this Senate race until I sat down this weekend to figure out who to vote for. It’s been a very busy summer.

This was a difficult choice for me. I dislike Piker and was disappointed with Abdul’s prominent campaigning with him. Yet Stevens wanting a blank check for Israel is so outrageous to me. The reality is that when I evaluate candidates, my heart is always with the policy wonks. El-Sayed seems to know what he’s talking about with health care, and considering mine costs $30k per year, I’m pretty motivated by health care reform.

It would be an easier choice if I weren’t so uncomfortable with DSA, which often veers into Anti-Semitism. I kept hearing El-Sayed associated with them though he does not identify as a socialist, it really muddied the waters for me going in. I had mixed feelings casting my vote.

Everything I’ve read since then, though, seems to support my choice. I read an interesting interview with him in Politico. The man does know how to belabor a point.

https://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-press/2026/07/20/full-transcript-michigan-democratic-senate-candidate-abdul-el-sayed-01004833

I know next to nothing about Haley other than establishment - pro-Israel but man, what a position at a time like this. Beyond that, everyone on the ballot seemed to have the same talking points.

At the moment, the Senate race there is looking closer than predicted.

This may also be of interest:

The Hill: Democrats hold 11-point lead over GOP on generic ballot: Poll

El-Sayed and Stevens are running neck and neck with 74% of the vote in so far.

Stevens is leading in Detroit and some other places that could be a problem for El-Sayed.

She was expected to lead in Detroit/Wayne County. But she’s not leading as much as her campaign probably had hoped. He’s absolutely destroying her in West Michigan.

NBC News Decision Desk/Kornacki just called it for Abdul!

I haven’t seen any other sources call it, but with 90% in, Stevens is down by 28,000+ votes. Abdul’s up by 2%.

I guess based on what’s left to count (50,000 in Wayne/Detroit; 23,000 in Macomb, 10,000+ in Washtenaw/Ann Arbor and Ingham/Lansing) NBC is confident Stevens doesn’t have a path.

Yep, but this was much closer than what was expected.

Glad El Sayed won, but wow was the polling off. I wonder what that means for the general.

Well, with 96% of the votes in, no other media outlets have called the race yet. I’m starting to think NBC called it for Abdul when they did because they needed the studio and Kornacki didn’t want to leave. :rofl:

I respect the voters of Michigan for delivering a result that matches my own lukewarm feelings about both candidates.

I’m a Michigander, voted for El-Sayed.

I vaguely followed the race and thought El-Sayed was polling ahead…or maybe I just watched the betting market, which I figured would be pretty accurate.

Was she polling ahead or was he polling way ahead?

Recent polls had him up by double digits. Didn’t pan out that way.

He was polling way ahead, in most of the polls – something like 10-15 points ahead, by my memory.

The Hill’s Decision Desk has now called it for Abdul.

And Abdul put up a victory post on socials about two hours ago.

I’ve watched her very slowly creeping up to narrow his lead since last night. She just isn’t getting there, though. As of right now he’s ahead 48.5 to 47.5 and the Washington Post is waiting for AP to call it (they don’t want to stick their neck out).

AP’s called it with 99% reporting and Abdul up by about 15,000 votes.

I think the Dems are gonna have some uphill work to do before November. They’re going to have to tightly tie Rogers to Trump, and that’s going to have to be much more compelling than Rogers’ message that El-Sayed is a scary Muslim communist foreigner.

El Sayed’s campaign says that Stevens called him and conceded.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2026-08-05/el-sayed-campaign-says-stevens-has-called-to-concede-in-michigan-senate-primary

That’s very good. Democrats’ chance in Michigan really depends on supporters of both candidates coming together to defeat Rogers.

One good sign – turnout for the Democratic primary in Michigan was about 1.5 million. For the Republicans? Just over 900,000. Democratic primary voters were a lot more energized than Republican primary voters.

As I expected, my local tv news stations’ FB posts on the result are rife with anti-Muslim hate speech replies by viewers. It’s really sad how much hate the right is filled with.
It’s going to be a tough election but I hope El-Sayed’s policies and eloquence carry the day.

I’m thrilled that Perry “Cryptkeeper” Johnson went down in flames. Not seeing his mug on commercials anymore helps me retain my lunches.

You and me both. I couldn’t hit mute fast enough, then look somewhere else until his commercials finished, they angered and sickened me so much.

The man truly is a ghoul

Stevens’ full concession:

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/haley-stevens-releases-statement-following-loss-abdul-el-sayed/69-41159f52-be01-4a8c-9820-048d071992c7

I want to congratulate Abdul El-Sayed on winning the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate. He is a doctor, a community health official, a Rhodes Scholar, and a dedicated Michigander. I am proud to offer my support as he takes on Mike Rogers in the general election.

Very gracious concession, which bodes very well for the general. Good for Stevens.