Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

Yeah, Rome is up there with Sopranos, The Wire, GOT, and Deadwood for re-watching for me.

It is one of the best HBO series. Love Titus Pollo & Vorenus! And Marc Anthony isn’t hard on the eyes…

We’ve started the newest version of Great Expectations, with the glorious Olivia Coleman as Miss Havisham. Dickens characters saying “fuck”!

I also, based on the title (“The Night Agent” ? is that the best they could come up with?) expected it to suck. Some stuff was a bit over the top, and of course just ignore any computer-related stuff, but in the end it was decent enough.

Two new series I have started:

Big Door Prize–like the machine of death, but it is a machine of life potential.

Plan B–guy discovers a business that can help him solve his career and relationship problems. (You probably won’t be able to find any info on the show without spoilering the premise, but I’m not going to do it here.)

We’ve reengaged with Succession after a long hiatus.

Anyone watching Only Murders in the Building? I am finding the writing pretty poor for comedy. Non joke jokes. Those two, Martin and Short, are 100X funnier off the cuff together on a talk show.

Yet I’m watching season 2 now.

Watched season 1 and 2 and didn’t like either one of them.

I couldn’t finish the first season, very disappointing…

Likewise. The plot just kept meandering off into tangents without going anywhere, and it wasn’t even particularly funny. Don’t understand the critical acclaim.

I bailed on S2 Ep2. It feels like its begging for laughs that are unearned.

Just finished season 1 of The Lincoln Lawyer. Really good and I can’t wait for the second.

The Night Agent is Zima that wants to be whisky. Light and fluffy spyish show.

We’ve finished ep 2. It has potential but it doesn’t seem to be gelling. The characters and their relationships just do not seem formed enough for the premise.

I always have to laugh at what takes me out from my suspension of disbelief though. A magical machine that can accurately tell you your life potential, for you to interpret and act on how you will? No problem accepting the premise. People willing to enter in their social security numbers and fingerprints into a mysterious machine that just showed up? Oh come on!

Yeah, I thought I must be missing something, but it really is unfunny for having two very accomplished comedians as the headliners. Martin Short tries, but the material is just not there. Too much insider bullshit, is what I’m thinking. And Selena Gomez really should stick to singing.

Regarding that show (The Big Door Prize, available on Apple TV+), based on watching the first four episodes, it seems, for the most, part to be telling people what they’re already doing. I agree that it seems odd that people would so willingly give up their handprints and SSNs.

IMHO the best Jane Eyre ever on screen. OMG forty years ago!! I remember this on the old A&E network.

Watched the two available seasons of Black Spot on Netflix. It’s a French show (“Zone Blanche”) set in a small, isolated town surrounded by a huge forest. In many respects it’s a fairly standard police procedural, but there’s something strange and supernatural happening that underlies everything that happens. It’s kind of like Twin Peaks minus most of the David Lynch-iness. In French. The dubbing is passable but still not great.

I’m watching it for Bob. Not really my cup of tea premise-wise. I don’t give a half a fuck about writers or college professors. Buts its been ‘okay’. However, last night (I was pretty drunk and in a piss-poor mood anyway) I turned it off after Storage Pod Guy dumps his load blocking the garage. Thats not how real life works! Dammit! That’s just stoopid for the sake of creating some kind of Old Bullshit. I wasn’t having it.

I’ll try that episode again, later.

Yee-up.