Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

I’ve been watching A.P. Bio. For a long time it was a fairly generic sitcom in the modern “unlikeable, horrible person main character” genre. But around season three it started being all Community-style “weird” episodes all the time. For instance, in the most recent one I watched, Toledo, Ohio heavily celebrates a ritual-filled annual Katie Holmes Day and jerkass main character goes full on Grinch on it.

That Katie Holmes episode ended the third season, and as it happens, the eight-episode fourth season was released on Peacock last week.

Yes, the release of season four was what made me notice that the series existed. I’ve watched the first three seasons over the past few days.

It would be a cool ride , and the figure 8 would be a serious endurance event.
They could maybe fix up the solar charging van they tried in Up and have a couple of those leap frogging ahead and see if they can do it even more low impact.
One thing is other than the indigenous people, they wouldn’t get much variation in the people they meet.

Last night Mrs. J. came to join me and Pluto in the family room, so I made the mild sacrifice of switching the TV from college football to an episode of Yellowstone, which neither of us had ever seen.

After about 10 minutes of near-excruciating boredom, I asked if I could switch to something else, and got an emphatic “Yes!”*

*from Mrs. J., that is. Pluto seemed non-committal.

my grandparents used to watch highway to heaven and during sweeps week It would be this pair of episodes: the main character a guy who was an angel ended up being mad at god himself for some reason usually because someone had to die or something else dire and ended up giving up or losing his powers at the end of the first and then a revelation would happen on why it had to be that way and hed quit bitching and fix it usually a few minutes after he got his “powers” back usually in the 3rd act in the 2nd episode

IN one there was a slow build up over the last 4 or 5 eps of the season so it could end on a cliffhanger but pretty much ended up the same way

I’m pleased to report that the new season of “WWDITS” is as funny as the first two seasons.

Still enjoying Ted Lasso.

I loved (love actually as they are still being written) the Bosch books, but I just couldn’t get into the TV show. Not sure why.

Finished it last night and glad I stayed with it. Well worth watching. Except for the bit with the hotel manager and the suitcase… ugh.

We made it 8 episodes or so and then gave up. We didn’t see the appeal.

We’ve stuck with it through thick and thin, although I’m not sure I really like it. The ranch is under existential threat all the time – the villain varies from season to season. Kevin Costner mumbles and growls. One or more of his kids are on the shit list. It’s occasionally very violent. On the other hand, there’s gratuitous nudity, and the Yellowstone scenery is gorgeous.

Started “Only Murders in the Building” (Hulu) last night and found it enjoyable, probably because it’s slower paced like I am. I’m not sure about Selena Gomez. I understand she was a child actor and is a pop singer, but her acting seems a bit one-dimensional.

Just started Long Way Round, the first ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman circumnavigate the globe.on bikes,l. I Just finished the last in the series , so I am watching all out of order.
God they look young.

We saw Steven King recently on Colbert, and when asked what his favorite books are he mentioned “Lisey’s Story”, which (not coincidentally) is a mini-series on Apple TV+. Intrigued.

Well, 4 episodes in, and we’re bailing out. It has all the usual King elements - a psycho stalker of an author, like Misery. Someone with psychic abilities, like…all of them. Invented vocabulary (“Booya Moon”). Plus brutal violence and gore – a few characters are cutters. Needlessly complicated structure – the last straw was the 4th episode, which juggled 3 different flashback sequences simultaneously. I’ll just go to wikipedia if I want to see how it comes out.

Just finished a Norwegian 6 episode series on Netflix. “Post Mortem: Nobody dies in Skarnes”. A slightly different vampire story. Not too scary and at times slightly funny. Five stars!

Watching a series Catch-22 on Hulu. It’s a dark comedy about a guy desperately trying to survive his tour in a bomber squadron in WWII Italy and the insanity of the military and various characters and clashes with senior command. It’s got that MASH feel about it. It’s a remake of a 1970 movie by the same name with Alan Arkin (among others) which I tried to watch but couldn’t get through.

It’s okay so far, but feels like it might get tedious after a while.

Is that the one with George Clooney and Hugh Laurie in it? I thought the production values were great, and it seemed (as far as I can remember) fairly faithful to the book. But I thought the main character was too good-looking and smarmy, and really feel the absurd, convoluted dialogue works better on the page than on film.

Yeah, that’s the one. Though Clooney and Laurie had relatively small parts. It’s directed by Clooney as well. I agree that the writing probably works better in written word.

Finished watching it. Found myself enjoying it more as the story developed. Thought the ending was well done and entirely apropos of the madness.