Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

I re-watched the BBC’s 1976 I, Claudius on Acorn. If you’ve never seen it, or watched it years ago, I hope you’ll give it a try.

The production values are low, but the writing and acting are excellent. There’s no dearth of shows today with super-high production values but not much in theme, character, plot, etc., and I personally prefer the reverse.

I won’t claim authority on its historical accuracy. It’s about how amoral people acquire power through injustice and corruption, and how the people just below them acquiesce to this when they believe they may benefit more than lose in a rigged system. It was based on a book written in the 1930 during lethal scrambling in the Kremlin and the Reichstag, but it resonates with me in 2022.

On one side is the hope for a return to the Roman Republic ruled by a wise senate continually finding consensus. On the other is the not-unreasonable observation that that’s unrealistic, especially for a complex, expanded empire; and only a strong chief executive can prevent factionalism and civil war. But it always works out that the chief executive is seduced by power and it turns him into a paranoid sadist.

What keeps Claudius going? His love of learning, the same life of the mind that kept Viktor Frankle alive through Auschwitz? Even after Claudius had 13 years as emperor, he hadn’t really set up an apparatus for the return to the republic (probably a conflict with the actual history), or maybe, as in Tolstoy, we need a belief in the possibility of happiness to survive. The possibility of the Republic was Claudius’s “happy place.”

About the only original observation I’ll make is about the character of Livia. Livia dies begging Caligula then Claudius to make her a goddess, and Siân Phillips fulfilled that by earning herself a place in actor’s heaven for her portrayal of Livia. But… if you watch enough classic British cinema, you know there was no shortage of actresses of her generation who’d have done just as excellent. Sorry but there I’ve said it.

I absolutely adored I, Claudius when it first aired on Masterpiece Theater in the 70’s – it would be nice if the Alastair Cooke introductions were still included.

I recently had the occasion to watch the first episode on Acorn and was immediately turned off by the production values, something I hadn’t even noticed 40 years prior. Something about the lighting seemed so…flat. I should try it again with a more open mind.

It was the first time we were exposed to Patrick Stewart, John Hurt, and John Rhys-Davies.

It’s been a while since I saw it, but I thought his plan was to let Nero succeed him and make the royal family so unpopular there would be no choice but to reestablish the republic.

On an attempted rewatch recently, I only got through the first episode, too. It may just be the weakest episode because a lot of history and characters need to be exposited to get the thing going.

We’ve started Babylon Berlin, a German series on Netflix. The dubbing isn’t the best, but I can live with it.

It would be difficult, but not impossible. Definitely find some recaps online and read up before trying. You might also need to watch the last 1-2 episodes of Season 3.

Finished season one, started season two. Liking it so far. Hope it doesn’t go the way Weeds went from a fun romp to a serious downer.

We also loved this a lot- I watch it when I’m needing some comfort tv and even bought myself a pair of magpie earrings and always wear them in hope someone will ask me about them so I can share my love for this show.

This is an excellent series and we’re glad they went for a second season. We’re not “binge watchers” so we’re taking this one episode at a time, every few days. We’re about halfway through and liking the way the characters are acting more as a unit this season, people who trust each other, though grudgingly at times.

It has taken on a slightly more serious tone but there are still many moments of levity to balance it out.

We really enjoyed Babylon Berlin, but we found it much better with subtitles, like most foreign language shows. I think dubbing is only rarely better than subtitles.

You get used to the subtitles quickly, then don’t really notice them after a while.

We usually have subtitles turned on no matter what, as our hearing is not as acute as it once was, and sometimes dialog is muffled or just plain unintelligible.

I Am Groot. A bunch of fun little animated shorts on Disney+. It still amuses me that Groot is voiced by Vin Diesel.

Just finished The Offer about the making of The Godfather. Not sure how accurate it was (it was Ruddy’s recollection of the story), but really enjoyed it. I was a little skeptical about how Brando and Pacino would be played, but the actors did a good job with them. It helps to be familiar with “The Godfather” and many of the iconic scenes.
At the end of the series, Ruddy opts out of being a part of The Godfather Part II to make the movie of his own script - what would become The Longest Yard. I decided to re-watch “Longest Yard” (the original with Burt Reynolds), and am now curious about the making of that movie. Ruddy describes the story as being about redemption, and there is that aspect to the movie. But as I watched the movie, I noticed some kind of weak edits. And it made me wonder if the script was originally a drama, and it was morphed (with some tacked on scenes) into a comedy for marketing reasons. So there are some really serious scenes addressing the redemption theme, but mixed with just goofy comedy (“I think I broke his f*cking neck !”).

Also just watched Trainwreck: Woodstock 99, a documentary about the music festival. I remembered hearing the stories of the mayhem and looting, but this documentary really showed a lot more about what led up to the terrible end, and just what a cluster pretty much the entire festival was. What was amazing was how, now years later, the producers were still in denial about having created this powder-keg atmosphere. Disturbing, but very informative.

I was at Woodstock 2 in 1994. It had its issues, but nothing like W’99. What a wreck.

I have officially reached my lifetime recommended allowance of full frontal Flea.

We gave up on “Babylon Berlin”. Too clunky, too weird. Instead, we’ve decided to rewatch all seasons of Breaking Bad. It’s been long enough that we’ve forgotten some things, so it’s fun all over again. Possibly even more so.

I’m rewatching CSI: Las Vegas. It’s been awhile, so a lot of episodes are almost new.

I just started watching This Fool on Hulu last night. It was recommended in either NYTimes or WaPo this week. I’m liking it, but I’m only partway through the 1st episode. It’s a comedy about a fellow in South LA. who works at a program to rehabilitate ex-cons or ex-gang members or whatever - “Hugs, not Thugs”.

I gave up on The Walking Dead a couple of years ago. I’m going to give Tales of the Walking Dead a try tomorrow night, though.

Just finished binging the Netflix series Uncoupled over the last two nights.
Neil Patrick Harris plays a gay man in New York readjusting to being single after being dumped by his long-time partner.

It’s from Darren Star of “Sex and the City” fame. It does have a somewhat similar feel to SatC, but with more substance and less wisecracking. And who doesn’t love Neil Patrick Harris?

I liked it; Mrs. Wheelz loved it.