Seven years sober

On Saturday it will be seven years with no booze.

I’ve posted a reasonable amount about my drinking and recovery here. Plus the A.A. arguments (egad, I should know better by now not to read any of those threads).

A lot of shit has happened since I finally found a way to stop drinking. Lived in a halfway house, got an apartment, got a new job, got in a relationship, got a better job, bought a house, went on some wonderful vacations, totaled a car (not my fault) got dumped hard, got in a new relationship (which absolutely rocks).

When I got sober I had just totaled a car(my fault), worked in a job I hated with the passion of a thousand burning suns and lived with my sister.

Now I own a house, a nice car, have a stunningly beautiful (and totally submissive*) girlfriend/fiancée** (She just walked by naked. My god does she have a lovely ass). I have 4 dogs, 2 cats and 2 fish. A job I love. Guitars and a recording setup.

Life is good. It is good in a way that I didn’t think was possible when I was drinking. I still get angry and frustrated by shit at times but now I just roll with it.

The issues that caused me to drink, besides the genetic predisposition, are mainly gone. When they do rear their ugly heads I know how to deal with them now.

My family likes me these days and trusts me.

In short, life is good.

On a side note, if anyone reads this who has a problem with drinking (or thinks they do) I am always open to P.M.s. Having been there and done that I may have a little helpful knowledge.

Slee
*My first foray into the dom/sub world. It is interesting and less about sex and more about filling each others needs emotionally. Though the sex is awesome.

** We’ve talked about when we get married though I haven’t officially popped the question.

Congratulations! My dad is 28 years sober and very active still in the AA community. I have had many young people come up to me when I visit my dad and say that my dad saved their lives. I am proud of my dad too just like your family is proud of you!

And good luck with the new lady! It does sound like life is treating you pretty well these days!

congrats!

Congrats! I remember when you first got sober – hard to believe it’s been 7 years already.

Congratulations, sleestak! I’m a newbie, myself; just got 3 months under my belt so far, but it’s going well.

Wow. You’ve made the world a better place, and my morning that much better as well. Thanks, and congrats!

Regards,
Shodan

I’m very happy life is going so well for you, slee! Best wishes for the future!

Congratulations Slee, life is much more pleasant with a clear head.

It’s great, isn’t it? Congrats. Those first three months are long. Almost as long as the first day. On the bright side, it gets easier as you get more time.

You know, there are so many things I do not miss about being drunk all the time. The hang overs, the drama, the lies and excuses.

Off to hang out with my girlie.

Thanks all.

Slee

Thanks, and that’s true; it’s been an up and down affair. I don’t believe in signs, but on the very day of my 3 month anniversary, I got a sweet job offer.

It works if you work it! :cool:

Congratulations! :slight_smile:

Congrats sleestak, and thank you for your advice last year. You were right.

I don’t know man. Slee said something about a naked ass. I’m still stuck on that. If drunk Slee were still around he would have posted a pic of said ass. (Sigh) I miss drunk Slee. :smiley:

Kidding of course. Congrats.

The beautiful thing about being sober is that if you post naked ass, you damn well mean it! :smiley:

Way to go, slee. I’m rooting for you.

I failed often enough at getting sober that I deliberately did not note the date of the latest attempt, but I know it has been more than five years, one day at a time. And life keeps getting better.

Hey there! Congratulations! I’m very happy for you!

I agree, Life is good!

Congratulations :slight_smile:

ODAAT :slight_smile:

Ah, yes, drunk Slee would have posted ass pics. Then soon to be Mrs. Slee would find out about the ass pics. Much drama, with wailing and crying, would ensue. Then the soon to be Mrs. Slee would be ex-soon to be Mrs. Slee.

So these days I just brag about my girlfriends ass occasionally. It works much better this way.

FoieGrasIsEvil, I hope everything is going well. If you ever need to PM me. And I was right? Can I use your post that I was at least right about something once?

Crotalus, I don’t know the exact date I got sober. I was pretty out of it. So I picked what I though was the right date…

Slee

woohooo! wishing you a lifetime of more success. :slight_smile:

I don’t know you but I’m very proud of you. Congrats.