Seventeen years later, an update on the guests from Hell

17 years ago, I posted two threads about a very bad houseguest situation. Links to follow, but in summary, my college roommate (27 years after graduation, during which time we’d kept in touch but not all that much) asked if she could visit me in Hawai’i.

Of course I said “yes,” but was subsequently blindsided by the fact that she then said she’d like to bring three of her kids, her friend, and two of her friend’s kids, for a total of 7 houseguests, plus me and my son. I told her my house was too small for 9 people and that they’d be more comfortable in a bed and breakfast, but did not come right out and say “no,” so that was my bad.

I had 7 guests for 9 days (well, actually 8 because their plane was late). The 5-year-old boy (roomie’s son) was a whiny brat and the two teenage girls were sulky; one complained that her bed wasn’t comfortable, and her mother didn’t so much as mildly reprimand her. The house was far too small for 9 people and I barely hung on to my sanity.

I unwisely complained to a friend, then thought my roommate had overheard me. As it turned out, she heard only a little of my complaining about her whiny kid. But the visit just about drove me over the edge, and culminated in this lovely evening (quoting from my second thread):

…there is one story I must share that was perhaps the nadir of the visit. They never ate out if possible, but one night we camped out. It was their decision to eat in a restaurant rather than bother with the mechanics of bringing and preparing dinner at the campsite. When this decision was made, they said “besides, we have to take you to dinner to thank you.”

I said that would be very nice.

So, we get to the restaurant, and since there is a bit of a wait, they get the menu and review it in advance. They decided on a complete order for all nine of us, without so much as handing me the menu, much less saying “Carol, we’re taking you out to dinner to say ‘thanks’…so what are your favorite dishes?”

Then, when the waitress came, they tried to order 3 dishes and one order of soup, for 9 people (yes, three were little kids, but we had three big kids and three adults). The waitress told them that would not be enough, so they reluctantly ordered a fourth dish, then sniped that the waitress was impolite.

In the event, it was (barely) enough food, but I found the behavior mindboggling.

And now, I can kind of finish off the story. When they left, they accidentally took a discount card for locals that I had lent them. I called and asked them to send it back, and I am pretty sure I was rather abrupt, since that was just the final straw.

My roommate was never very good about staying in touch, and I heard almost nothing from her for the next 17 years. I wasn’t sure whether she was angry at me as a result of the less-than-successful visit, or she was just being her. But I did write to her a couple of times, and on those exceedingly rare occasions when I heard from her, I was careful to respond promptly.

So, a few days ago she called me saying she was in Honolulu at a conference. (I live on a different island.) She lives in Chicago now. “Oh, I meant to tell you I was coming, so that we could plan something, but I was just so busy I never got around to it.”

She was hoping I would fly to Honolulu to see her, but I said I couldn’t, which was mostly true as I had some rehearsals for an upcoming performance that really could not be canceled. However, if I had REALLY wanted to, I guess I could have worked something out, since it’s only a 1/2 hour flight between islands.

So, she came to see me for the day, and we had a nice time. Interestingly, SHE REMEMBERS ALMOST NOTHING!!! of the ill-fated previous visit. In fact, she said, “hmm, was it just me that visited, or did my friend Sue come as well?” I told her, “Yes, it was you, three of your kids, Sue, and two of her kids.” This rang no bells.

I’m not sure I’d bother with the original threads, but if you are bored out of your minds, or perhaps vaguely recall the original discussion and want to refresh your memory, you can do it here:

first thread

second thread

Chun-Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away. A hero at a thousand paces.
M. Bison: I’m sorry. I don’t remember any of it.
Chun-Li: You don’t remember?!
Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

You sound like a saint for having put up with all that and staying civil, and still keeping in touch for all these years afterward!

I know who I’m going to PM if I happen to ever travel to Hawai’i with my family, and maybe a friend or three :wink:

Who, other than a totally inconsiderate and egocentric human being, would do something like that?

You’re not the only one. They made the Beverly Hillbillies look high class!

Feigning ignorance is often a good way to avoid a deep conversation about something of which we are totally embarrassed or even ashamed. I’m willing to bet she does in fact remember it quite well.

Selfish, oblivious people are oblivious to the impact their selfish behavior has on others. Film at 11.

Her seminal visit was cited as an anecdote in the rather obscure “The Narcissist’s Guide to Affordable Travel.”

Ugh. Carol. Just … Ugh!

This is not a story about a bad guest, but a similar non-remembrance:

In 1989 my future wife and I went to Albuquerque. Coincidentally one of her friends was living there at the time. The first day there she joined us and we went to the Natural History Museum and the next day attended the Balloon Fiesta together, then went on our vacation, and didn’t see her again until the night before we left, as she had invited us to stay there for our flight out the next day.

Many years later, the friend’s stepfather had died, and my wife attended the funeral. The friend had moved back east, and my wife mentioned how much fun we had on our trip out west. Friend remembered absolutely nothing about our visit or that we had even been there. As it turned out, the friend and her husband split up not a whole lot longer after our visit. My wife said, “She was probably stoned during most of our time together.”

My nightmare house guest story happened when I was a teenager. I guess it was more of a nightmare for my parents than me. My dad had an aunt and uncle (his mom’s sister and husband) that moved from MN to California in the early 70s. They’d come back once in a while for a week or two visit. When they were in town the whole family would get together for big Italian meals, etc. They would say constantly that we should come out to CA to visit and stay with them and they’d take us to Disneyland. Back in those days, people wrote letters instead of making expensive long distance calls. We were always writing back and forth - my sisters and I would write, my mom, grandma, aunts and uncles. My immediate family never went on vacations that required hotels. We had a family cabin and my dad used his vacation for deer hunting at the cabin and two weeks were spent there in the summer. The summer that I turned 16, my dad decided we were going to take a family trip to California and see all of the sites along the way. This was a major dealio for us. We never had extra money for this kind of vacation. Plans were made that once we got there we’d stay with the aunt and uncle that had begged us for years to come out. After a whole week of road-tripping with 4 kids, we finally arrived at our destination. We went to the door and were greeted with hugs and kisses and then the aunt asked, “where are you going to stay?” I thought my mom and dad were going to faint. I think my dad told her that she invited us to stay. She made a big deal of it - how they’d have to take the dogs and go stay at her daughters house. My parents held their ground. Aunt and Uncle would leave for the daughter’s house every evening and come back in the morning. We had rules galore to follow. It was a drought year out there and we weren’t allowed to take daily showers! I think we were allowed a shower every other day. They wouldn’t make coffee every morning. They would save what was left in the pot in a mason jar and put it in the fridge for heating up the next morning - in a sauce pan. The funny thing was that the neighbor would water his lawn every morning! But my uncle was a good guy. He took us to Disneyland and Universal Studios and paid our admissions. He also took us out to eat a few times.

That was 46 years ago and we still talk about it! :joy:

“I DO remember your family. Their screams were PITIFUL!!”

Honestly I don’t really need friends I only see every couple of decades and when I do they act annoying.

Huh. It sounds like they did not stay with you. “When they were in town”. It sounds like their expectation was that when you were “in town” staying somewhere, they’d take you out to Disneyland.

Plans were made that once we got there we’d stay with the aunt and uncle that had begged us for years to come out.

Plans? Including communication with the aunt and uncle that you would stay with them? It does not sound like it, as:

We went to the door and were greeted with hugs and kisses and then the aunt asked, “where are you going to stay?” I thought my mom and dad were going to faint. I think my dad told her that she invited us to stay.

Communication breakdown at it’s finest. It sounds very much like your parents assumed that the invitation was to stay at their house, and this was not the invitation they thought it was.

That was 46 years ago and we still talk about it!

I bet your Aunt and Uncle do too:

“Remember the time that your brother and 4 kids showed up on our doorstep and just assumed that they were staying here? And they never actually said anything about that? And remember how the 6 of them expected to be taking multiple showers/day and we had to explain to them what a drought is, and that we were under severe water use restrictions? And they just looked at us blankly?”

:rofl: Now that’s funny!

They would stay with my grandma, who was my great-aunt’s sister) when they were in town. And they did actually say that we could stay with them - in their house.

Of course there was communication with them before we even left on our trip. We were invited to stay with them and they were excited that we were coming.

And they’re both dead, so they probably aren’t talking about it anymore.

You’d have to know what my great-aunt was like. She was kind of the pot-stirrer in the family. Her husband was an amazing, funny, nice guy. None of us could figure out how he managed to live with her.

So much for my theory that Euphonious_Polemic must be your great aunt

I do have a Ouija Board though.

Within its odd spelling, TIR (Today I Realized) that “Ouija” combines the French and the German words for 'Yes."

Carry on.

He clearly remembered it was Tuesday.

Tuesday is village-burning day for M. Bison. It’s when he does all his village burning.

Did you ever get your kamaaina card back?

I vaguely remember this thread… that’s an amazing ending.

Some friends and I have an experience that none of us can remember a crucial detail…
Three of us went on a road trip in our early 20s and we don’t know WHY…It was something that I would have had to flown back up to the PNW to go on…and we had to pick up another friend a long the way…

When we have tried to fit the timeline together as to why we went and none of it adds up. Was it for so-and-sos wedding? Maybe–but I wasn’t living in California then so why did I fly up? Was it to go to that concert? Maybe but…he wasn’t living in that town and that’s where we picked him up along the way. Did we decide to just drive across the state and back for shits and giggles? Maybe?