SFU - Aug 8th - Coming and Going

Screwed up relationship central - “O Happy Day” indeed…

I feel sorry for Claire. She can’t get her bean snapped no matter who she sleeps with.

Knew as soon as Keith slept with Celeste that his job was over.

All the rest is just more of the same old same old.

I liked how the COTW’s life was pretty much the opposite of what’s going on with all the Fishers. What a contrast.

Nate’s line was good: “I’m sorry too.”

“Snapping beans” was what the family used to do on warm summer nights, out on the front porch. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that per the COTW, the Fisher’s now have a drive-up window.

If was funny that they were all lined up on the couch like the start of the Simpsons, while watching the Simpsons.

That “bean snapped” term came from my wife who grew up in Wisconsin. Until then, I only knew it as a sitting on the porch activity as well.

I keep getting so angry on Ruth’s behalf. Even though she asked if George was threatening divorce, that’s what I want to happen! I want them apart, not because they annoy me, but because I’m just so damn frustrated for Ruth.

Speaking of frustrated, poor poor Claire. She keeps reminding me of someone, though I’m not sure who. But anyway, I was noticing how she and David are getting much closer. Granted he didn’t want to know the dirty details of her homosexual experience, but I like that they seem to be becoming better friends as the series goes on.

I’m thinking it’s fair to say Joe and Brenda are over…but after last week’s episode, I didn’t like that they were already back to normal at the beginning of this episode. I mean last week he was saying that he couldn’t forgive her (something to that effect). I guess I just feel like I needed to see the step of them trying to patch things up first and getting to how they were this week. Did that make sense?

[QUOTE=AuntiePam]
I liked how the COTW’s life was pretty much the opposite of what’s going on with all the Fishers. What a contrast.

QUOTE]

I know. When Nate and Rico were speaking with the bereaved (who didn’t seem to need much consoling) I actually felt a little bit of something beyond my usual disdain for Rico. I felt that his display of emotion was centered around the fact that his wife and children would never have spoken of him the way the COTW’s family was speaking. I didn’t feel sorry for him in the sense that I think he deserves pity (since he made hios bed, blah blah blah), but I guess I felt sorry for him in the sense that maybe he is realizing what a mess he made of things.

I’ve lived in Wisconsin long enough to be “from” Wisconsin, and my boss always used to refer to “snapping your beanie.” He would probably be brought up on sexual harassment charges these days for saying that.

I like George less and less each week. I’m glad Ruth took off for parts unknown but suspected. I loved the scene between Federico and Ruth where she took him in like part of the family then berated him with her “Oh, you men!” speech-let.

I’m glad the Horn Player walked in on Nate and Brenda on the couch. Didn’t Nate just slink right out?

And poor lost Clare. Somehow she’s the sanest one of the Fishers, but she’s having trouble finding her way. At least she knows what she doesn’t want.

And I loved the scene between Infinity, Vanessa and her sister. Girl Fight!!! And Infinity’s car got what it deserved!

We refer to “flipping the bean” around here.

Anyway, at least David seems to be finally getting around to the fact that he’s still greatly affected by the carjacking. And although I want to side with Ruth and think George is the bad guy I know he must be, I can definitely see how she’s smothering and irrational, especially with the hand-wringing over Claire’s friend, whose name is escaping me right now. I know Ruth’s probably suspicious based on George’s six ex-wives and the gossip she overheard at the faculty party, but that all seemed a little much to me. I did understand the agony over the tree, though. It was clear when George was standing there holding the shears he had no idea what he was doing. I do enjoy Frances Conroy’s portrayal of Ruth’s emotions, especially her passive aggressive remarks and the eventual boiling over of her emotions at inappropriate moments.

As for Claire’s orgasm, relax, girl.

Overall this season, I’ve loved what’s seemed to me to be an emphasis on the Fisher siblings and their relationships with each other. We’ve seen how they look out for one another, discuss problems, and joke around. It’s sort of taken major crises to get there–David’s carjacking, Lisa’s death–but I like it and hope it continues. The petunia song was so endearing.

I missed this thread and went and started my own, so Ill just quote myself here.

Beadalin , I agree about Nate and Brenda. They are a snoozefest as far as I’m concerned.

Judith Priest , while I do agree that Ruth doesn’t need to worry so much about George running off with Anita, that girl really bugs me, too.

(Boy do I sound cranky today or what?)

I can’t be the only one who thinks Ruth is the one who needs a nice hot cup of Get Over Yourself.

She married a man who clearly had a questionable past and who clearly didn’t want to talk about it. Then, after they’re married, she’s pissed off that (gasp!) he has a questionable past, and (shock!) he doesn’t want to talk about it.

I wanted to slap her when she came out with that line about how he hadn’t changed a bit since they got married. Well, then, WHY THE FESTERING FUCK DID YOU MARRY HIM??? Why not go out and find someone more like whatever it is you want him to change into?

Yes, George is being an ass. But I don’t feel the least bit of sympathy for Ruth.

In other news, if Claire is willing to pass on some hot lovin’ with Mena Suvari (especially in this role), then she, more than perhaps anyone else in the world, can claim to be heterosexual. I am curious to see how David reacts to the news that Keith had a fling with a woman. I almost wish the Clair-Edie thing would have worked out if only so SFU can advertise as having “More gay sex per episode than any show on television!” (On second thought, I’m sure they can claim that anyway.)

I hope I’m not the only one who had a horrible blast of Whitney Houston in my head when Celeste started putting the moves on Keith–“AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-EEEEEEEE-IIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU…”

I find it interesting that Celeste had no interest in Keith as a human or a sex object until she found out he was gay. Are there many straight women who get an ego boost from getting gay men to “cross the county line”?

Not as long as Queer as Folk is on the air! :smiley:

I can’t believe that no one has mentioned that, once again, Keith had the line of the week:

Celeste: “I don’t get f___ed in the ass.”
Keith: “That makes one of us.”

You’re not. I’ve been saying similar things for weeks.

Has anyone seen the cable ratings for this season of SFU? I’m curious if they are down.

Personally I think Celeste had the line of the night:

Keith: But you’re not even 18!
Celeste: I’ll really be 21 next week.

I don’t know how many of the teen queens I’ve thought this about.

And then there’s Hilary Duff, who looks like she’s about 25…

Wow, 15 posts and I have absolutely no idea what show y’all are talking about! I suspect it’s something HBOish, otherwise I think I might be able to figure it out.

L’il help here?

The Sopranos?

Six Feet Under – 6FU is the abbreviation. (Assuming that was a serious question?)

Did anybody else want to bitch-slap Claire’s stupid, annoying friend? Better narrow that down – I’m referring to the girl who was sitting around in the kitchen in her underwear, making adolescent pronouncements about history being useless. Can you really be that immature and stupid and be in college? Never mind; now I’m accessing my fading memories of going to ETSU. The answer is yes.

ETSU…is that something HBOish? :wink:

Seriously, I know what you mean about Anita. It seems that this year Clare is hanging out with the kind of self-absorbed shits she would have rolled her eyes at in previous seasons.