She'll be the death of me!

Hi! I’m new to this, but it seemed like the perfect next step to my Avril Lavigne obsession. No, I’m not a fan. But I have a serious problem: not a day passes without my commenting negatively on Avril Lavigne’s growing fame and fortune and ever-present lack of talent which is being overplayed by radio-stations everywhere.

I never had a serious problem with her until I saw her sing at some awards show (I believe it was Teen’s Choice or something much like it) a few months ago. In fact, I must say I used to find myself singing along to her songs (eergh) and I thought she was pretty cute. BUT after watching her live performance, I couldn’t stand her, and upon hearing the first few bars of any of her songs would throw me into a fervor.

The thing is, she’s just not a rock-star. Maybe that’s the crux of her public persona, but I believe that any half-assed so-called singer out there should do an act worth watching. If you can’t sing: then dance! If you can’t dance: then rebel loudly and be outrageous! She does NONE of this and I just find her teenage-malcontentedness far too common, not to mention, annoying. A rock-star with no talent and no apparant message to spread should shock and amaze us, not reflect the most whiney and mundane of us.

I guess my position is due to my simultaneous jealousy and contempt for her. She’s my age and is far more famous (and probably) wealthier than I will (also probably) ever be. And my contempt for her is based on the fact that she’s achieved fame and fortune while doing not much other than acting like the annoying teenager that she is, while other much more deserving and talented artists out there are getting nowhere.

And that’s all I have to say about that.;j

Yeap, no rockstar, she’s just a popstar. A whiny midgit popstar that I could drop kick across a room, but a popstar non-the-less.

While I do have an inherent gripe about the advent of mass produced pop music to appeal to a certain demographic and the lack of attention paid to musicians (not vocalists), I still admire the pure musical talent of the performers. While Arvil is a little to ‘lite’ for my taste, I’m still bloody impressed how someone could do a studio recording of ‘Complicated’ in a single take.

Well, she’s hot, and thats good enough for me.

How do you know?
I don’t think that I’ve ever seen her face, it’s always covered by her hair, or she’s looking straight down!

delusions_of_interiority
“while other much more deserving and talented artists out there are getting nowhere.”

If that’s yoru thinking, I have to wonder why you think artists are artists. Purely for fame?

If you are an artist and you are enjoying what you do, grateful for being able to express yourself through your creativity… I don’t see why you would care what some pop star has going on.

Fame, adoration and money are not my goals in life. Are they yours?

I saw her talking to Joan Rivers the other day, and I thought she had a real attitude problem, for starters. I like her better than Brittany, but that’s not saying much. It’s just so pathetic watching a kid behave as though she’s the first person that ever had a hard-on with authority. Puh-leeze.

My friends and I were talking about a similar topic last night. We realized that rockstars have all become cowards.
[RANT]
ATTENTION ALL ROCKSTARS-
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION ON GREENPEACE! ALL ANYONE CARES ABOUT IS YOUR MUSIC, AND SPEAKING OF THAT, HERE’S SOME ADVICE: REACH DOWN, GRAB HOLD AND ROCK OUT! GO TO 11! AND THROW IN A SOLO OR TWO, AND IF NOT THAT, THEN GET A HARDCORE RHYTHYM SECTION!
[/RANT]
Now, I only apply this to punk bands, bands that claim to be hard rock but aren’t(ever heard of Malefecation?) and any other group that should have, once upon a time, exemplified the rockstar lifestyle. Take a note from Black Sabbath…those guys were rockstars through and through.

Sorry about this little tirade that doesn’t relate all that much, but I’m very angry here

My initial reaction to her (well, besides thinking her music sucks) was colored by the fact that she looks exactly like a girl I worked in a factory with once. I hated that girl; the sentiment carried over.

Ender_Will: what about musicians who think of their music as art instead of just as a cash cow? Artists express their opinions in art, and sometimes that means the art isn’t going to be pleasing for other people to listen to. Personally, I have a certain admiration for musicians who use their art to make a statement (even if the music isn’t great or I don’t agree with the statement) because it means they aren’t giving in to popular demand and just cranking out songs as products to be bought.