Sheryl Crow

[QUOTE=Little Nemo]
Sheryl Crow didn’t tell the audience she was joking. She didn’t tell her audience when she was singing either. She just assumed they’d figure it out because there was music playing and the words rhymed.

Read what Crow actually said. Right after saying people should save the environment by using one piece of toilet paper, the next thing she said was that her brother suggested going one better and washing the piece of toilet paper so it could be reused. Crow then went on to talk about designing clothes so you could blow your nose on disposable sleeves to save napkins and starting a green version of American Idol where the most environmentally conscious person wins a recording contract. Does that sound like somebody who was making serious proposals?
[/QUOTE]

From what I’ve read, this originated on her blog. Maybe I’m misinformed?

Every story I can find online says the blog was the source of the quote. I can’t find anything about her saying it at a concert.

The blog entry is clearly and obviously a joke. No “clarification” would be necessary on her part. The original context is unambiguously satirical.

A search on Google news found this:

Artist sings for global warming, which is an account of a 4/17 concert appearance by Crow.

Given the realities of writing and publishing, Crow almost certainly had turned in the piece before then, so the idea was in her mind.

And the blog that describes the tour for Stop Global Warming has this to say:

Apparently, her audiences would have gotten the joke. I can’t find any mention of it elsewhere until the Huffington Post piece, and all the early mentions of it quote that rather than the concert.

It’s clear to me that it was a joke and meant to be taken as such in all its forms, and that the blogosphere deliberately distorted the joke to make it real. As I said, I was prepared to come down as hard on her as everybody else until I investigated it for myself. But now that I have, I say that the ridicule was a deliberate disinformation campaign, designed to humiliate her and discredit the global warming crowd.

Don’t buy into it. Especially here.

[QUOTE=Diogenes the Cynic]
You thought wrong
[/QUOTE]

Guess you thought wrong, eh?

[QUOTE=Operation Ripper]
Guess you thought wrong, eh?
[/QUOTE]

That remains undetermined, but my apologies for snapping at you. Everything I’d read cited the blog.

[QUOTE=Operation Ripper]
Guess you thought wrong, eh?
[/QUOTE]

Don’t try to be smug about this. Your original comment was:

This is clearly wrong. She said it as a joke from the very beginning. You can’t hide from your remarks just because someone else got caught on a meaningless technicality. You slimed her and you should apologize.

Every day is a winding roll.
I, or at least my fingers, get a little bit closer.

[QUOTE=Exapno Mapcase]
It’s clear to me that it was a joke and meant to be taken as such in all its forms, and that the blogosphere deliberately distorted the joke to make it real. As I said, I was prepared to come down as hard on her as everybody else until I investigated it for myself. But now that I have, I say that the ridicule was a deliberate disinformation campaign, designed to humiliate her and discredit the global warming crowd.
[/QUOTE]
Consider instead the possibility that is far more likely, IMO, than a giant conspiracy, that the joke was simply not very clearly written. I’ve seen it many, many times just on this board, that humor in the written medium can be very difficult sometimes and jokes get misinterpreted. Sure, it was clear to you, but a friend of mine who is usually pretty good at picking up jokes thought she was being serious and had lost her mind, and I read the original piece and my reaction was, “WTF?” All it takes is a couple people to not get it and that gets passed around and voila, a giant clusterfuck.