Shop class no no’s Shorts, long hair and giant prosthetic boobs?

@chela , why is this in the pit?

Just to complete this part of the thread, I live in the area. The story is true as reported; it has been picked up by reputable local news sources and the HDSB has confirmed it to be the case and issued (clearly PR-expert-written, generally vague) press releases about it.

I didn’t say it had to be neutral news sources. I said that you either need neutral news sources or multiple sources with different biases. Not clickbait websites or their print equivalents.

Tabloid fodder is just another word for rumors and gossip. Not news. Not stuff that you can be sure is actually real. Their whole mission is to create sensationalized news stories to get clicks, and they have no problem being loose with the truth.

The article’s stated source is a TERF website, where this was originally written as outrage bait. The quoted Tweets are all people freaking out, clearly pushing the reader to a particular point of view. Both Twitter and TERF websites are notoriously unreliable. As is the Daily Mail itself.

You clearly didn’t ask the questions that @Atamasama asked, as that would have led you to have posted a better source in the first place. And I’m pretty sure that’s why you felt the need to lash out at them for such a normal comment.

This is the Pit. If they had wanted to call you stupid, they could have. They just wanted a better source, like the local papers that @RickJay mentioned.

And it worked! Look how many are outraged about Kayla Lemieux on social media! Facebook, for example.

Yes; for me, The Daily Mail is just a scroll-past link until it’s corroborated by something more substantive and reputable. It’s only a small step from The National Enquirer in terms of its journalistic standards (and even they sometimes get something right.)

Thanks for confirmation. :+1:

I can’t help but suspect there’s something more going on here. That outfit is…not…what I’ve ever seen any transwoman wearing. Is she protesting something? Is she engaged in an HR dispute and she’s trying to push them to take an actionable action?

I don’t know we’ll ever get the actual story, but I strongly suspect there’s more to it.

Maybe it’s a false flag anti-trans situation. Or maybe that teacher has had some trouble coming to grips with her feelings and needs to act out for a while, perhaps on advice from a therapist.

What it’s not primarily about, is everyone else’s reactions to it. Manufactured outrage is just so boring.

And I want to ask the OP again, @chela why is this in the pit? Why won’t you answer this question?

I’ll give an answer, as written it has no place in GD and would get contentious too fast in MPSIMS. The pit is likely the best spot for it.

It comes across as recreational transphobic outrage. Two of those three things belong in the Pit.

It doesn’t seem to me that this is so much about trans issues as it is about sexual expression. Certainly some people have very large body parts like this, but they are physically part of that person. In this case, she is making a choice to wear them. But even if that’s her gender expression, the same could be true for anyone. It’s unfortunate this is happening in a trans situation since that is going to muddy the core issue. The same thing could be done by a cis person. A cis-male could wear loose, nylon pants with a giant, fake penis that goes down to his knee and swings around as he walks. A cis-woman could have these same latex, giant breasts as the OP or have large vulva attachments with tight pants. These could be the same gender expression as in the OP. If a cis-male feels that his gender expression is with a 2’ long, fake penis, that’s the same situation. It’s not trans limited even if a trans person is the OP.

Do you think a cis-woman who had breast enhancement surgery, even to this extent, and happened to be a shop teacher, would have generated any articles at all?

Nope, no articles about breast augmentation. But in that case, they are attached to her body. I see that as a relevant difference. This person is making a choice to put these on the same way that she is deciding which clothes to wear. But I’m certain the real reason it generates articles is because she is trans and and the RW media knows that will generate lots of views.

That’s correct. It’s a piece of transphobic bullshit, highlighted by transphobic bigots, to make a trans person’s life just that much harder.

[Moderating]
Referring to trans people as “she-he” is a violation of the board’s hate speech rules. Do not use slurs like this on the board. This is a formal warning.
[/Moderating]

I can understand how this person’s presentation can put sincere folks in the uncomfortable position of questioning the sincerity of her identification. It’s pretty extreme.

If we treat the OP question as literal concern for operating safety around power equipment:

The hair would have to be secured so that it’s unable to fall into the work area. A hair net, pony-tailing (with the end of the tail kept down the back rather than allowed to come down over the shoulder, etc.), putting it up securely in a bun. Since it’s a wig I assume removing it would be a legitimate response as well, but I could see this being undesirable if it’s a part of the outward display of the intended identity.

I can’t characterize the prosthetic breasts, except they seem to be large enough to be a practical impediment for any kind of bench work, powered or not.

The shorts are a non-issue as long as protective overclothing like a shop apron will work. But again, the size of the prostheses may interfere.

With regards to shop safety, the danger is really fabric, hair or other non-breaking material getting caught in the machinery and dragging the person into the machine. Skin, muscle and bone will typically be cut through. Some people may feel safer wearing things like gloves when working with machinery, but they make it more dangerous. If the glove gets caught, the fabric will pull the person’s arm into the machinery. If it was just a bare hand, the hand would be cut, but it’s less likely to cause the person to be pulled into the machinery.

I know why I would move it to the pit, I’m just curious why, in their own words, the OP placed it here in the first place.

Yeah, of the ‘Damn, don’t you wish you had a hot shop teacher like her in high school!’ type.

We’ll it’s Canada so I can’t say if they follow something like OSHA here which might be a violation.