Shop class no no’s Shorts, long hair and giant prosthetic boobs?

It’s a new story emerging on a weekend. Give it a week to see how much followup there is. At the least, someone is going to contact the school board for confirmation.

No, you quoted an article that was repeating information from Reduxx. I wasn’t “looking for terfs”, you literally started a thread relying on info written by TERFs, for fuck’s sake. :roll_eyes:

We have corroboration from a non-batshit source now so, yeah, I believe it’s real. But a bit of fact-checking was absolutely needed. You started a thread based on a total shit source.

If you’re going to keep harping on this, rather than discussing the subject, I’m going to keep shoving your nose in it until you get it.

I agree that this is both inappropriate and unsafe.

If - and I really mean “if” - this story is to be believed my only concern would be the shorts.

The wig would be only gently attached to her head via hair clips or pins.

The prosthetic bosoms would not be strongly attached to her body (unless I am reading that wrong and they are implants)

The shorts… well, many metal and woodworkers wear both jeans and an apron, often in the case of metalworkers, made of leather to protect themselves from damage from accidents and flying particles.

You’re the heat seeking missile looking for a reason to push back against a DM article with places, names and twitter corroboration.

So you shove it.

It must be wrong, it’s a TERF site. And we know TERFs are by definition wrong. Because if it turns out they were right all along, the consequences are too terrifying to contemplate.

By the way, the full set of TERF beliefs is basically “Sex is more important than gender. Any of the (very small set of) cases where men and women should be separated out from each other, should be done by sex. Also, you can’t change sex with cosmetic surgery (or drugs)”

That’s pretty much it. No concentration camps for trans people. No caring who, or whatever sex, wears a dress or makeup. Just prioritising sex over gender. Does that really seem “batshit”?

You can keep lying about what TERF is. We are not fooled, you despicable bigot.

I understand the long hair part. I remember being with my brother and a couple of his friends while they were working on an old car. The hood was up, and I went over to look inside, and one of the guys immediately stopped me and warned me about leaning over. Even when my hair is tied back, my pony tail is very long. Apparently, it could conceivably get caught in the fan belt. I’m guessing that would break my neck.

It seems scientifically wrong and bigoted. There are genuinely intersex people, for example.

Anyway, regarding the shop teacher, I agree that all people in a shop class should follow whatever safety practices are recommended, regardless of how long their hair is, and how big their boobs (real, fake, or prosthetic) or stomach (beer or pregancy-related) are.

Anyone want to fight me on safety practices? Otherwise, what’s this thread about? Just bigotry?

A post was split to a new topic: BlueGreen’s sock post

Hi! Welcome to the SDMB! I’m sure you’ll find this place welcoming and you’ll have a long posting career here.

This reminds me of a student who died at Yale in 2011. Her hair got caught in a lathe while she was working alone in a chemistry lab. She was found hours later.

Actually, I have long hair, and this thread is a helpful caution to remind me to keep it tied back for safety.

Clearly I’m wasting my time with you, because you’re a fucking moron. I even explained who the Twitter corroboration was from earlier but you’re too much of an idiot to have followed up.

Ah well, fuck off dipshit.

I took wood shop in high school. It was a Catholic school, and all the boys were required to wear ties. (This was in the mid 1980s.)

Ties are a big no-no around power tools, and we were required to remove them before using any power tools. If the instructor saw you using a power tool while wearing a tie, he would ban you from the shop for a week (which resulted in your project being delayed, thus resulting in a bad grade).

Yeah, I guess that would be a guy’s equivalent of “a long ponytail”.

Atamasama’s question about the source was perfectly ordinary and called for considering the sourcing of the provided article. Doesn’t matter what the topic is, if a journalist writes something with a biased internet site as the main source there is reason to be suspicious. It’s also just a fact of normal discourse that the most likely person to question and investigate a source is someone who finds the angle of the article problematic. Trying to make that an argument like chela is doing is just dumb.

And fuck any and all terfs and terf apologists crawling out of the woodwork to participate in this thread.

Thank G-d other people can see it too!

I see what you did there?

I’d rather have this shop teacher teaching my kids than the 38 year old married woman who is sleeping with several of her 15 year old students.

What are the posted safety rules in the shop? Is any of this a violation?