Should we mark tribute threads?

It seems to me that there are some threads where the intention, even if not explicitly stated, is not to invite debate or contrary opinions, but just for people to line up and approve of the OP.

Obvious examples are celebrity death announcements and family setback notices. Someone posts to lament the death of so-and-so or a personal loss, disease, unemployment or whatever. Posts saying that so-and-so was crap or saying that the loss is no big deal or that they had it coming are never welcome.

Should these threads be labeled just as we label TMI or RO threads? I think it would save some people the heartache of posting an opinion without knowing it won’t be welcome or having one’s thread shat by a distracted or trollish poster.

I saw someone use the term “celebration” about one of those. Celebration Threads has a good ring to it, although I am partial to the alliteration of Tribute Threads.

Just an idea.

I’m not sure such threads should be treated as special. I would certainly discountenance thread-shitting, but surely arguments that such and such a celebrity had feet of clay should be allowed?

I disagree. I think the Mods are capable of enforcing the don’t be a jerk rule. But there should be room for valid dissenting opinions.

Well, I think it is beyond the don’t be a jerk rule. I think it was Anna Nicole Smith or someone of the sort where people who liked her started threads mourning her and when someone popped up to say “that kid is better off with her dead” some took it as mortal insult and from there it went. The opinion was a very valid one, it was just not welcome in that thread, which was not meant to debate her life but to mourn her passing.

The thing is that except for celebrity death notices, marking your own thread as a “tribute” thread would sound attention whorish. An “I got fired” thread where the recount somehow smells like the OP was negligent but is marked as a tribute thread would be a total cry for pity and then you couldn’t even trust the supporting responses…

Maybe this wasn’t such a hot idea after all.

As you were.

Oh it was a good idea, just the wrong Board for it.

An interesting thought, Sapo. So, like, we’d allow that people who start a thread can limit the tone of the thread, by some designation in the title. We’ve actually had a few instances of that in the past, usually in the OP rather than in the title: e.g., “please confine this discussion to…” Sometimes it works, sometimes not. When someone deviates from the OP’s dictum, sometimes the mods pull the thread back on course, sometimes not. All pretty much situational.

A person who posts about how they were fired (your example) and wants the responses limited to “poor, poor me”… well, I don’t think the other posters or mods will necessarily comply with that request.

The only problem, frankly, is celebrity death threads, frankly. On the one hand, there is tragedy in any death, and we should be respectful. On the other hand, we’re talking about celebrities, and critique of their lives or work seem to be fair game.

Our decision has always been that we distinguish between an obituary (“Paul Newman is dead”) and an elegy(“My mother died.”) An obituary is a public announcement, a reflection on the person’s life, positive and negative; criticism/critique are acceptable. An elegy is part of the mourning process, an expression of grief and sorrow; negative comments are not (generally) acceptable.

In an obituary thread, some one could post “Paul Newman was really a terrible person.” They would be entitled to their opinion (however wrong-headed), and allowed to express it. However, in an elegy, anyone posting, “Your mother was a terrible person” would be rude, inconsiderate, impolite, a jackass and a jerk – and thus against the rules.

That’s where we’ve always come out, anyhow. I don’t think that posting some special code word in the thread title will change that, one way or 'tother. It’s usually pretty clear which thread is what. (Someday, we’ll have the child of a celebrity posting about the death, and I don’t know how we’ll handle that one. I guess we’ll deal with it when we have to.)

Yeah, I guess this is it. Not too different from putting TMI or RO on the title, which are not specified on the rules as meaning anything or putting any obligations on anyone. Some people do it, some people don’t, some people pay attention to the note, some others not so much.